Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Eat Vegan on $4 a Day by Ellen Jaffe Jones

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Has anybody else read/used Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day by Ellen Jaffe Jones?

I spent money on it to try to save money on food; this is not the only vegan cookbook that is cognizant and shows price per serving but I still couldn't resist this one. I just read it and was very impressed not only with its frugality but by the ease of making the recipes, finding ingredients, and the mostly healthful recipes.

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) Does it use lots of fresh ingredients? I'd be intereested in it if it does!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jayme wrote: "Does it use lots of fresh ingredients? I'd be intereested in it if it does!"

Jayme, Yes, it does!!!:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Some tofu, non-dairy milks, vegan margarine, but not in every recipe, and most of the food is fresh! I'd say most recipes have only spices added to fresh ingredients. I think you might be interested.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Nov 03, 2011 03:22PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Lisa, I do have this book already, but I haven't read it yet. I didn't realize you had a cookbook thread for it ... I am SOOOOO excited to hear that you enjoyed this cookbook so much, and that is filled with healthful EASY TO MAKE recipes, which is exactly what I like!

I think I will put it "on deck" for the next cookbook I should read! I'll get back to you when I have read it and/or tried some of the recipes.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Rachel wrote: "'ll get back to you when I have read it and/or tried some of the recipes. "

Eagerly awaiting which recipes you try/enjoy.

message 6: by Terri Lynn (new)

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments Ellen sent me a copy of the book to review and it really is fabulous. She is such a sweet person and this book is something I recommend on the Facebook pages I administer. I have so many favorite recipes in this book- Five Ingredient Salad for Pennies, Chorizo Flavored Scramble, Creamy Noodle Casserole, Potato Pancakes, Chocolate Mousse, Strawberry and Citrus Salad, Tropical Salad, Penny-Pincher Pitas, Thai No-Fry Spring Rolls, Berry Pudding, Apple Crisp, Blueberry Tortilla Pizza, Chocolate Surprise Cake, Coconut Ice Cream, In The Red Smoothie and many, many more. I adore this book! I also like her financial planning for the food budget and info on planning healthy but inexpensive meals.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ellen Jaffe Jones (other topics)