Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's four June books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Not as many as I expected to read this month. Looks like pushing 50 for the year will be a stretch. A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves
I Am the Messenger
Save Me
One Was a Soldier
A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves I actually skimmed this one that I picked up to contemplate sending to my sister-in-law who was caring for my father-in-law. I found the author's realistic and poignant style compelling. Her feelings were beautifully expressed as she described the heartbreak of her Mother's last days and carrying out her wishes, and the way her life and relationship with her brother changed after her death.

I Am the Messenger I was intrigued with this book initially because of the author. (The Book Thief) At first listen I wasn't sure I would continue this audio, but the main character, Ed Kennedy, caught me up rather quickly in his story and I just love his dog, the Doorman. The audio is ably read by Marc Aden Gray, whose Australian accent really added to my enjoyment and immersion into the story and into Ed's world. This is not The Book Thief, but it is a rather powerful little book with a purpose.

Save Me the second book that I almost stopped reading , but was glad I read. It took me a while to warm to the MC, but I was glad I stuck it out, and took the time to get to know Rose. Cynthia Nixon's narration was good, I was not totally a fan of her voice for Melly, but the rest of the portrayals were good.

One Was a Soldier So much anticipation for this book, I loved it! What a good book! I loved the way the other Veteran's stories intertwined and to see Russ and Claire interacting as they plan their lives together and as Claire and her Veteran's support group rally around their comrades. I am ready for the next one!

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I'm ready for the next Clare & Russ book, too! That last line has me really looking forward to it!

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Anyone see any indication of when the next book might come out? It seemed like we waited forever for One Was A Soldier.

Looks like you had a good month, Ann. I added I Am the Messenger to my growing list.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Jul 04, 2011 03:06PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Marcy and Melodie: I was thinking the same thing and wondering if it will be so long for the next Julia Spencer-Fleming so I clicked through to her website / blog area and fund this quote from JSF herself: (no reference to spoilers here, but the thread is chock full of them) "Actually, that's going to be one of the significant emotional hurdles for Russ to get through in the next book, Seven Whole Days." then later in the thread, "Reply by Julia Spencer-Fleming on April 8, 2011 at 4:39pm
I'm definitely shooting to finish it this fall, in which case it would be a 2012 release. Believe me, my family, agent and publisher want be back on the book-a-year-diet just as much as the readers do!" Woo Hoo!!! (view spoiler)

Marcy wrote: "Anyone see any indication of when the next book might come out? It seemed like we waited forever for One Was A Soldier.
Looks like you had a good month, Ann. I added I Am the Messenger to my growing list..."

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Thanks for checking, Ann! Good news!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Marcy: I think you will like I am the Messenger. It is a bit quirky and I do recommend doing the audio for the voices. DD told me I was talking with an Australian accent for several weeks during my listening and even after. I do actually find myself adapting my speech patterns to match my audio book characters fairly frequently. It can be hard not to pick up the slang too. That is when I know an audio reader really transported me into the story and setting! :)
Marcy wrote: "Looks like you had a good month, Ann. I added I Am the Messenger to my gro..."

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I just reserved the audio from the library and hope I can manage my library gems so that I can get to it. Maybe I'll have to try putting it on my iPod.

message 8: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann wrote: "Not as many as I expected to read this month. Looks like pushing 50 for the year will be a stretch. A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves
[book:I Am the ..."

I'm not reading as much as I usually do. Watching too much baseball.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Lorraine: I can't come up with a good excuse for why I am not reading more except the time I spend online.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Summer is a reason I get less reading done. There is the garden, the motorcycle, enjoying my daughter home from college....

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Excellent reasons, Barry! Summer activities and family time is not to be missed! At least I am plowing through audio books at a rate of one every two weeks, two of my four books in June and thirteen audio books year to date. *still have the commute, summer or no summer.
Barry wrote: "Summer is a reason I get less reading done. There is the garden, the motorcycle, enjoying my daughter home from college...."

message 12: by Brakedrum (last edited Jul 15, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry wrote: "Summer is a reason I get less reading done. There is the garden, the motorcycle, enjoying my daughter home from college...."

Well, Barry, we've been riding in this terrible heat, from the my paper: FORT WORTH -- For the 13th consecutive day, the mercury reached triple digits -- 103 at 3:20 p.m. Thursday. But for the record books, the more significant temperatures are being reached in the mornings.

On Thursday, the mercury dropped only to 84, a record for the highest low temperature on a July 14th and tying the mark for the month of July, said Jesse Moore, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. The previous record for the date was 82 in 1909 and 2009.

The last time the area got measurable rain was June 21, when a welcome soaking of 2.84 inches fell.

A heat advisory remains in effect through Friday evening. Heat advisories are issued when the heat index (temperature factored by humidity) reaches 105 or greater and overnight lows are 78 or higher.

Fred and I are heading out on Saturday to the annual fundraiser for the Norville Childrens Home:
The A. Fern Norville Shelter Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for children and young adults who are displaced from their families, or who are involved in the foster care system due to abuse, neglect or abandonment. Through fund raising events, corporate and community donations and bequests, the Foundation provides support for program development aimed at improving education and life skills training for involved youth, special event activities, community education and awareness programs and any other financial needs that are forthcoming.
We drink lots of water, we pack frozen water bottles. I wear a long denim shirt over my tank top, take the shirt off and soak it in water(gas station restroom or outdoor faucet), then ride off with it dripping wet until it dries out. Then do it again. It's an old biker method of staying cool.

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments We finally went into the 70s with low humidity, so since I was on vacation anyway, I took the second major ride of the week. 200 miles to try out a clam shack. It was a good clam shack.

Earlier in the week it was 450 miles to visit a childhood friend and an old drinking buddy in upstate NY. Just being in the mountains makes it feel cool.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3695 comments Barry wrote: "We finally went into the 70s with low humidity, so since I was on vacation anyway, I took the second major ride of the week. 200 miles to try out a clam shack. It was a good clam shack.

Earlier ..."

i hope it was a good clam shack. you could have just ridden over the bridge and gone to a clam shack here and we'd have had dinner with you

message 15: by Ann (last edited Jul 15, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Lorraine: Great idea! Your heat is so much worse than ours and ours is horrible. Stay safe!
Brakedrum wrote: "Well, Barry, we've been riding in this terrible heat, ... I wear a long denim shirt over my tank top, take the shirt off and soak it in water(gas station restroom or outdoor faucet), then ride off with it dripping wet until it dries out. Then do it again. It's an old biker method of staying cool. "

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nanlanc) | 77 comments I get to actually listen to more on audio books in the summer while driving my granddaughter to and from time. Right now enjoying the gate house by Nelson Demille, and ordered the first one in this series from the library. Alo enjoying the books I read on my Nook, as well as plenty of other regular paper books.

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nanlanc) | 77 comments oops meant to and from camp not time LOL

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Nancy: I am guessing your granddaughter listens to the audio books too, a nice shared experience!
Nancy wrote: "I get to actually listen to more on audio books in the summer while driving my granddaughter to and from time. Right now enjoying the gate house by Nelson Demille, and ordered the first one in thi..."

message 19: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (Nanlanc) | 77 comments no I do not put them on when she is in the car, we chat many have inappropriate language for a young girl.

message 20: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3053 comments Sherry- Usually I will go to Captn Scott in New London. This one was just about the ride.