Creative Reviews discussion

?'s for the Members of CR > Book Review or Critique?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb Simpson (debisimp) | 3 comments As authors, we are often asked to review another author's work, and most of us are thrilled to do so and hope others will do the same for us! However, as I have been receiving more of these requests, it has become clear to me that some authors are asking for a Book Review, when what is really needed is a Critique.

What is the difference?

A Book Review is an evaluation made from a readers viewpoint.
A Book Review tells me how a reader experiences the book. Does it draw the reader in? Does it hold their interest? As a Reader, would I put this author on my reading list and watch for their next book?

A Critique is an evaluation made from a writers viewpoint.
A Critique tells me about the writing itself. Is the story well told? Is the pacing right for the scenes? Are the characters well developed? Does the book "hook" me within the first five pages? What voice and viewpoint does the book use, and is it consistent throughout? Does it support the story? Are the transitions well written? Does the author use a mixture of "Showing" and "Telling"? Are grammar, spelling and punctuation used correctly?

As the previous discussion implies, a book should have been critiqued before it is sent for review. Otherwise, a reader may be distracted by writing styles or errors that could be easily corrected. It's important to remember that some readers only give an author one chance.

message 2: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 979 comments By gosh, I think you nailed it.

Splitter

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Deb, Excellent post. Bob

message 4: by Anagha Uppal (new)

Anagha Uppal Drat. I tend to include parts of what should be a critique into my reviews.

message 5: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 1841 comments Mod
The critique is usually added in as part of my review, because, as Deb mentioned, it does distract from the reading, thus influencing my opinion on it. So, Ana, do not be upset that you include that information in there!

Deb, you do have it nailed though. Most of of my better reviews are ones that are not focused so much on what could have been corrected and more on the characters, the feelings and the enjoyment of the book. Critiques and editing should be done WAY before an author asks anyone to review their book. Because they are not getting a great review of the content of the book itself because so much of it was lost in the mechanics of the book. Great post!!

message 6: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Great post Deb!!

message 7: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments Ditt on the Deb!

message 8: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (jaclement) | 1328 comments Nice point, Deb!
JAC

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Agreed. If an author sends me a book to review and it needs lots of work, I can't pay much attention to the story. So they should ask for a critique if that's what they want, b/c if I get a review copy w/ lots of errors, chances are, they get a bad review. I'have read published books, bestsellers, that have tons of flaws, and they get bad reviews. So anyone asking for a review should get the same treatment.