Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Fireworks??? Talk here

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
The 4th of July has caught me by surprise this year -- I was so focused on the Romance Writer's of America conference in New York City. I just got back but I started hearing some isolated fire crackers last night. When I left NYC on Saturday, several locals asked why I wasn't staying for the fireworks (they are obviously proud of theirs). Here in Los Angeles we have big fireworks demonstrations, too, and I can walk up on the roof of our building and see fireworks in all directions. It's quite cool. I'm meeting with a friend to celebrate today and then will come back here for fireworks. How about you? Any plans?

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy We can see the fireworks at Surprise Stadium from our back yard. And unlike Indiana I don't have to fight all the mosquito's!

message 3: by JanetTronstad (new)

Sounds like fun, Judy!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy I'm a party pooper though and mostly stay in the house.

One of our dogs is scared of the noise.

It's odd, Surprise has a no fireworks law and yet they sell them all over. Another thing my feeble mind just don't understand!

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

I've wondered where people get their fireworks here, too. Right in the middle of Los Angeles (well, close enough). It's all illegal and yet I start hearing the rogue fireworks a day before the fourth.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Is it dry there like her in AZ?

It sounds neat for you to be able to go on top of your building to watch Janet. Hope you have fun!

message 7: by JanetTronstad (new)

Maybe not quite as bad as AZ, but Los Angeles is still in the desert and we have wildfires all too often on the outskirts.

message 8: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) I think we'll be able to see the fireworks at Great America from our area. We can drive to the foothills and climb up to a trail that lets us see across San Jose. It's a beautiful view.

message 9: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) I think we'll be able to see the fireworks at Great America from our area. We can drive to the foothills and climb up to a trail that lets us see across San Jose. It's a beautiful view.

message 10: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I always go to the Stadium of Fire, that was on Saturday. Concert and show and then the best fireworks! It was sooo fun. Today I will be going to my brothers for a BBQ then we are going to my boss' house for what we call the Cul-de-sac of Fire! Should be a literal blast! Fireworks are my favorite! :)

message 11: by JanetTronstad (new)

Wow, Melody, I like that -- Cul-de-sac of Fire! Hummm!

message 12: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thanks, I made up the name myself, and it stuck. :)

message 13: by JanetTronstad (new)

Melody -- we're going to have to call on you when it's time to think of titles for books!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments They had some in Port Arthur, but I think the Port Arthur ones started a brush fire. I am surprised we had any around the area with as dry as we are. But, I didn't see any. I just now found out we had some in downtown area. Most of us all thought it would be banned because of the drought.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy I went in the back yard and watched with my hubby and brother in law. They went on and on tonight. Not too many of the ones that just go BOOM!

Some neighbor was cursing out another neighbor, I think for shooting powerful fireworks off in the park. We think it was our wacko neighbor, everyone has one of those right?

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments My neighborhood went all out. It's the first year that KY allowed the sale of fireworks equivalent to what's in Tennessee. Our neighbors went all out. We had mortars right over our house, tons of fountains, sparklers, etc. A lovely night for everyone except our dog, who spent most of it under the couch. Poor guy!

message 17: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments AHHH, our dog too hates noises like that, just let a thunderstorm come and she is in her bed quick hiding away. Glad everyone enjoyed all the fireworks, very dry in Ga and I didn't hear any so maybe they thought of that this time....

message 18: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Sounds good to me Janet! :)

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments My shih tzu doesn't mind fireworks at all. Storms don't phase her either. She's the only dog I've ever had that doesn't seem to mind loud noises. She hears very well, so it's not because of that. It's a good thing, because they continued into the early morning. We have a great country to celebrate!

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (kathyeberly) | 138 comments This was the first year I have attended a fireworks display in a long time. I brought several of our clients to the event with a couple of our other group homes. I always enjoyed watching them growing up and these were pretty, but they started really late and the mosquitos were really biting.

message 21: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Mixa (goodreadscomsandie) | 19 comments We celebrated in our front yard in the cul-de-sac by lighting the fireworks I bought at a local stand. Only about 12. My 2 grandkids that were with us, ages 5 and 3 were so enthralled. They kept saying, "That was the best one ever" It was so cute because to me they were kind of lame fireworks that didn't last very long but to the kids they were magical.

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Isn't that the best? Kids are awesome. Oh the simple things huh? :)