The Sword and Laser discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
2011 Reads > THG: I really liked this book better when...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aaron | 11 comments ...it was called Battle Royale. I thought the treatment of the characters was tighter. I never really bought into Katniss as a character, especially because, as I am finding happens too often when I read a fantasy book, hello The Name of the Wind I am looking at you, the character of Katniss is another one of these characters who is almost all-powerful. She has ALL the skills she needs to survive the games, leaving no doubt from the beginning that she will win. Oh, and EXACTLY like Battle Royale, there are two winners when the game stipulates that there can be only one. I stopped reading this trilogy here.

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Battle Royale whining is getting a little old. Just sayin.

Battle Royale borrowed major plot elements from several other novels so the claim that Hunger Games stole from Battle Royale is a bit silly. To quote Picasso, "Good artist copy. Great artist steal."

BR borrowed from
The Most Dangerous Game
The Long Walk
The Running Man
or any gladiator movie

These are only a few older novels and stories with similar plots. So dead horse kicked. BR is similar but move on please already.

Aaron | 11 comments Sorry for posting in the wrong area. If an admin could delete or move my post, that would be awesome. I am happy to re-post in the other topic area. Thanks!

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Nick wrote: "Battle Royale borrowed major plot elements from several other novels so the claim that Hunger Games stole from Battle Royale is a bit silly. To quote Picasso, "Good artist copy. Great artist steal.""

And there's your answer to why people are slagging Hunger Games in favor of Battle Royale.

Mike Rentas (mikerentas) | 65 comments Ugh, I'm with Nick. Differences:

BR: The kids all knew each other - it was an entire school class that was gassed and dropped into this crazy situation, not something they were expecting.
HG: The kids are selected by lottery from all over the country. It's a well-known system, the kids themselves grew up watching the games on TV, and the selection day is a national holiday.

BR: The kids are all the same age.
HG: The kids range in age from 12-18.

BR: They had three days to kill each other or their explosive collars would detonate.
HG: The games drag on until everyone but the victor is dead. The game makers design the arenas to push the players together, but there's no arbitrary time limit.

BR: The protagonist is trying to escape the arena rather than playing along.
HG: The protagonist totally buys into the games, thinks about strategies, and is much more concerned with surviving than revolting.

BR: There are guns.
HG: There are no guns.

BR: There are suicides.
HG: There is an attempted suicide, but it doesn't happen.

BR: There is no reality show aspect, at least not one that the contestants are actively participating in.
HG: The contestants are treated like TV stars before and after the games. During the games, Katniss at least is extremely aware of when she's likely to be on camera, and repeatedly plays to it - posing, dropping hints for sponsors, trying to figure out what Haymitch is thinking.

BR: There are no characters outside the arena.
HG: The characters outside the games are as or more important than those inside.

BR: Nobody accepts their fate - the killing is driven by fear and a couple of crazy characters.
HG: Nobody really questions the legitimacy of the system. There are even "career" tributes who train and plan their strategies for years in advance.

I'm not saying the premise of The Hunger Games isn't similar, but saying they're the same is just silly. It's possible to riff on a theme and still make something of worth. See every single fantasy book written since Lord of the Rings.

message 7: by Nick (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:19AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Sean wrote:
And there's your answer to why people are slagging Hunger Games in favor of Battle Royale. "

So people are slagging on Hunger Games because Battle Royale stole its plot elements from other short stories and Novels? I don't follow.

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Nick wrote: "Sean wrote:
And there's your answer to why people are slagging Hunger Games in favor of Battle Royale. "

So people are slagging on Hunger Games because Battle Royale stole its plot elements from ..."

Takami is a good enough writer to get away with stealing. Collins, not so much.