Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

YA romance, fantasy, etc > Adults, why do we enjoy YA novels?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I went to Target yesterday, and bought a few YA novels. The very friendly cashier made this comment "your kid must be a serious reader." I just nodded, and didn't bother to get into it, and tell her that I don't have any kids, and that the books are for me; but I was wondering how can anyone tell just by looking at the cover.

I like reading young adult fantasy/ pnr novels every so often. Honestly, I just feel like they're refreshing, and without all the sex etc, that I often find in my "regular" novels, I find that YA novels sometimes have just a little more of an actual story. I know I'm not alone in this. So, why do you enjoy reading YA novels?

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I just started reading YA this year thanks to a “buddy read”. (Well, I read Twilight and devoured all the Harry Potter series [I know, started out as a children's, but progressed to an YA, IMHO]. But, to me, those don’t count.)

I remember I was at the bookstore a few years ago, looking for a specific genre, and the clerk asked, “You don’t read YA, do you?” Adamantly shaking my head in the negative while pulling back, I assured her I didn’t. I guess I was a little snobby. I am quite surprised I enjoyed the ones I’ve read so far. But they do have a little sex in them. :)
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study #2) by Maria V. Snyder Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore

message 3: by Heather (last edited Jul 04, 2011 04:00PM) (new)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I think part of it is because YA books push my mental walls, in a way. I love the romance genre and if there is romance in my YA, all the better, but have I read anything like The Hunger Games in adult? No. Have I read anything like Divergent or the Harry Potter series? Not that I remember, and believe me I would remember. Other "adult" fiction can come across to heavy and pompous (not sure I'm describing it the way I'm thinking of it in my head) while YA fiction tells an incredibly interesting story without getting full of itself.
Also, there are so many existing things coming up in my TBR list and majority of it is YA. It's not the typical romance formula and I have come to crave that in my readings. I agree with Michelle that sometimes I need a break from sex, or smut as I refer to it in my reading world, and YA books can give me an incredible story without the smut and I don't feel like I'm missing out on something.
I'm stepping off my pedestal now. lol

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I just started reading YA this year thanks to a “buddy read”. (Well, I read Twilight and devoured all the Harry Potter series [I know, started out as a children's, but progressed to a..."

Oh I loved the Study series!! I did find those books in both the sci-fi/ fantasy section, and the YA section of Borders though.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Heather wrote: "I think part of it is because YA books push my mental walls, in a way. I love the romance genre and if there is romance in my YA, all the better, but have I read anything like [book:The Hunger Gam..."

Exactly! Lately, I feel like a lot of the books I've read use the smut as filler, when I think could've been good without all of that. Don't get me wrong, smut (hehehe!) is great, but like Heather said, I just need a break every so often.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I just started reading YA this year thanks to a “buddy read”. (Well, I read Twilight and devoured all the Harry Potter series [I know, started out as a children's, but progressed to a..."

I haven't read [bookcover:Graceling|3236307] yet. Is one that's hard to put down? Does it make you want to miss a day of work so you can keep on reading it?!

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL! Are sure you are not just looking for an excuse to miss a day of work, ✿Michelle✿ ? But to answer your question, yes, it was very good.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "LOL! Are sure you are not just looking for an excuse to miss a day of work, ✿Michelle✿ ? But to answer your question, yes, it was very good."

Is there a better reason than a good book to miss a day of work? LOL! I'm glad to hear that Graceling was very good. I haven't read your review yet. I'm going to go check it out now.

message 9: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I went to Target yesterday, and bought a few YA novels. The very friendly cashier made this comment "your kid must be a serious reader." I just nodded, and didn't bother to get into it, and tell..."

I read a ton of YA anymore. Partially because there's a lot available in audio at the library. But a big part is the same reasons you listed. Romance is getting way too erotic anymore with more and more authors pushing it to see how far they can go without crossing the "romance" line. There's also a lot of great stories in YA with a good variety options.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Michelle, I too have been asked if I am buying the YA books for my children, and I just nod too! Too embarrassed to admit yes! When I don't know why, like everyone has pointed out, there are a lot of great YA series out there. So, why don't I own up to it to people? I guess reading YA books as an adult is the same as reading romance to an adult that only reads adult fiction!

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "Michelle, I too have been asked if I am buying the YA books for my children, and I just nod too! Too embarrassed to admit yes! When I don't know why, like everyone has pointed out, there are a lo..."

True. No one in my family understands my addiction to pnr, or fantasy novels. When I tell them what I'm reading, I usually get some sort of strange look, or statement that implies that I'm crazy or something, LOL!

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I just picked up Poison Study and Magic Study today- I hope they are good- they sound good anyway! There are a lot of young adult series that I need to read:

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate , Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz , Evernight (Evernight #1) by Claudia Gray , and now Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I have heard a couple of people say Fallen is like Ever More... but WHICH Ever More?

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I have heard a couple of people say Fallen is like Ever More... but WHICH Ever More?"

LOL, that's a great question Lisa!

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "I just picked up Poison Study and Magic Study today- I hope they are good- they sound good anyway! There are a lot of young adult series that I need to read:

[bookcover..."

I loved the Study series. For the most part, I found all of the books unpredictable and clever. I am so excited that you'll be starting that series!!!!!

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LOL Michelle... but the question is when!!

message 17: by Kelley (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:12PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Megan wrote: "Michelle, I too have been asked if I am buying the YA books for my children, and I just nod too! Too embarrassed to admit yes! When I don't know why, like everyone has pointed out, there are a lo..."

Oh they can ask me all they want. I tell them exactly WHO they are for... ME! I don't care what they think of me for what books I buy. I know what a variety of genres I read and why I read them. SO I really don't give a darn what anyone else thinks. LOL

It's not YA related, but I have had numerous debates with people over why I read some of what I do, mainly romance. And I got really into it one time with of all people, a VERY conservative guy from my church Sunday school class, when there were about 25 people from our class all sitting there at lunch listening to everything I said. They were all mortified, I was not. This guy made the mistake of putting down romance in front of me and saying it was all trashy and too much sex. Note, he's never read a single romance in his life to KNOW this about them. I proceeded to give him a lecture, in front of everyone, for at least half an hour, about the difference between erotica and romance, with some pretty vivid details. You should have seen his face. But... he NEVER insulted romance novels in front of me again. LOL I think he was afraid of another lecture.

message 18: by Kelley (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:15PM) (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Megan wrote: "I just picked up Poison Study and Magic Study today- I hope they are good- they sound good anyway! There are a lot of young adult series that I need to read: ..."

Fallen series - excellent books. I've read the first two and am on the waiting list for the third book in the trilogy. I'm next in line. :-)

Blue Bloods - havent tried that one. Library doesnt have any of them in audio so I didn't start the series yet. I want to eventually though.

Evernight series - ugh, I HATED the first book! I never read any more of them. The story starts off really good, then halfway through the book, they suddenly change the story on you, and it actually reads like it's two completely different books. Drove me batty! I'd have been totally cool with it if they'd stuck with the plot line and how it was portrayed int eh first half OR if they'd followed the plot line and how it was done int eh second half. But mixing the two in one novel totally ruined it for me. A lot of people like this series, but I did see a few reviews on Amazon from people who felt exactly the way I did about book 1 and how it was done.

Study series - please note thee are NOT YA novels. They were remarketed to the YA audience when YA started growing by leaps and bounds, but they were written as adult straight fantasy novels. But the entire trilogy was amazong. As was the second trilogy, the Glass series, which also is NOT YA, though it is suitable for YA audiences. Maria's only YA series is the Inside Out series, of which there are two books so far. These were marketed as YA and sold through Harlequins YA line they just initiated last year.

A few other good YA series:
the Hush Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick - fallen angels

the Gatlin County series by Kami GArcia and Margaret Stohl (Also known as the "Beautiful" books) - hard to peg these ones. it has lots of magic, demons, secret other worlds, etc

the modern fairy tale series by Alex Flinn (not sure what the actual series is called, but they are all twists on fairy tales). First one I read was Beastly, tho not sure that's first in the series.

The Immortal series by Alyson Noel. These aren't fantastic, but they are pretty darn good and kept me going. I'm currently listneing to the final book in this series.

Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine - LOVE these books.

I know there are other series I love too but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head I've read and enjoyed.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LAMO, LOVE your lecture story Kelley! I guess I just need to own up to reading YA books and not be sorry about it!!

Thanks for the info about some of the YA series, they sound very good. I was given the first book in the Evernight series, so at least I didn't pay for it! That is so interesting that the Study series was originally marketed as adult fantasy and crossed over to YA... interesting. I'm sure I'll read the Morganville Vampire series sometime too (with me being such a big vamp fan and all :o)

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thank you, Kelley, for giving the background on the Study series. That explains a few things to me, as I kept asking myself, "This is a YA book?"

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kelley wrote: "Megan wrote: "Michelle, I too have been asked if I am buying the YA books for my children, and I just nod too! Too embarrassed to admit yes! When I don't know why, like everyone has pointed out, ..."

LOL! Good for you Kelley! I would've loved to have been there! I have found that the people that put down romance novels, and the people who read them- have never read a romance novel before. I don't get it...

message 22: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I like to read YA (fantasy mostly) for a lot of reasons. The biggest one is I still feel sort of like a kid myself. I'm 26, but sometimes inside my brain I still feel like a teenager. I certainly do a lot of immature things still. I like to play video games, and mess around on the computer and be lazy... sometimes mostly ending up in a negative result, like shoulda cleaned the house instead of sitting here on the computer (which I get mad at my guy's 20 year old unemployed son for doing all day... talk about being slightly hypocritical lol). I also like YA because like someone else said, there sometimes seems to be a little more story to it. For me a YA like Harry Potter or the Bartimaeus trilogy or more I can't think of at the moment, they capture my imagination, and I'm swept away, and it's not too complicated. Sometimes fantasy geared to adults can be complicated. And YA is not so much. And it's a nice break from a lot of sex and/or swearing.

message 23: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) Megan wrote: "LMAO, LOVE your lecture story Kelley! I guess I just need to own up to reading YA books and not be sorry about it!!..."

It was a Visa commercial worthy moment Megan. LOL But I defintely put him in his place.

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I sure it was Kelley, and I'm sure you did!! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall! LOL!

message 25: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (trixy72) I love YA books, because even though I am over thirty, after I'm still young. Good to remember the flaming youth loves, the women gossiping friends. I think Twilight was the first I read, but then came to Collins, Eragon trilogy, which I bought for my son, the Fairy Stories - Kagawa, Jenna Black - and Ellen Shreiber. If the story is a good, age does not really matter (for me).

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Beatrix wrote: "I love YA books, because even though I am over thirty, after I'm still young. Good to remember the flaming youth loves, the women gossiping friends. I think Twilight was the first I read, but then ..."

Excellent point Beatrix! I was having this discussion with a friend of mine, and I couldn't quite sum it as well as you did about age not is mattering if the story is good.

message 27: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Smith | 415 comments Twilight series was my first YA series. I LOVED them! So next I tried the mortal instruments series by Cassandra Clare (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass). Really like those too! But after reading 7 YA novels in a row I was ready for a little smut :). I found myself very intersted in the story, but left wanting when all the build-up led to nothing more than a kiss. I like to mix in a few YA's here and there, but I need a good romance every now and then too. I prefer romance that has a great story too, not just the smut. But when it's appropriate to the story bring it on!

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2011 12:14PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Tracey wrote: "...after reading 7 YA novels in a row I was ready for a little smut :)."

LOL! Yeah, I read my first YA this year -- besides Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer . I did it as a "buddy read", but I really liked it and have read several since.