English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > Award for funniest mystery

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Did you guys know they used to give an award for funniest mystery of the year? They stopped-- I wonder why! But anyway, here's what I found out about it:

THE LAST LAUGH DAGGER

Between 1988 and 1996, the CWA presented an award for the year's best humorous crime novel; this was initially known as The Punch Award, but subsequently changed to the Last Laugh Dagger
Winners

1996: Two For The Dough - Janet Evanovich
1995: Sunburn - Laurence Shame
1994: The Villain of the Earth - Simon Shaw
1993: The Mamur Zapt and The Spoils of Egypt - Michael Pearce
1992: Native Tongue - Carl Hiaasen
1991: Angels in Arms - Mike Ripley
1990: Killer Cinderella - Simon Shaw
1989: Angel Touch - Mike Ripley
1988: Death in a Distant Land - Nancy Livingston

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 11, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

Jennifer - That's really cool! Thank you for sharing with the group. Weird though...does that mean that mysteries since 1996 have just become too serious to continue having such an award? It makes me wonder if they award committee spoted a trend in mystery writing? I'll have to hang onto the list for possible BotM reading - just in case some come under the heading of English as well!! Then we can put to the test how funny they are! :-)
Cheers!
~S~

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) SarahElektra wrote: "Jennifer - That's really cool! Thank you for sharing with the group. Weird though...does that mean that mysteries since 1996 have just become too serious to continue having such an award? It makes ..."

Actually, Nell from my cozy mystery group may have solved this mystery. Here is what she posted:

"The Lefty Award is presented for the most humorous mystery. The list goes from 1996 to the present. Here's the link:
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Awards... "

message 4: by Jdaniels (new)

Jdaniels | 5 comments We should add some of these books to our book of the month reading list - I always love a good laugh!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Excellent! Jennifer - glad to know it's an ongoing award. I'm definitely adding that to my bookmarks for this group so that I can already start gathering ideas for the 2012 list! Cheers!
~S~

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.