Mystery Lovers! discussion

Archive > Award for funniest mystery

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) Did you guys know they used to give an award for funniest mystery of the year? They stopped-- I wonder why! But anyway, here's what I found out about it:

THE LAST LAUGH DAGGER

Between 1988 and 1996, the CWA presented an award for the year's best humorous crime novel; this was initially known as The Punch Award, but subsequently changed to the Last Laugh Dagger
Winners

1996: Two For The Dough - Janet Evanovich
1995: Sunburn - Laurence Shame
1994: The Villain of the Earth - Simon Shaw
1993: The Mamur Zapt and The Spoils of Egypt - Michael Pearce
1992: Native Tongue - Carl Hiaasen
1991: Angels in Arms - Mike Ripley
1990: Killer Cinderella - Simon Shaw
1989: Angel Touch - Mike Ripley
1988: Death in a Distant Land - Nancy Livingston

message 2: by David (new)

David Peters | 7 comments Thanks for posting this. I am always looking for funny and/or mysteries. Now I cane hopefully find both.

Just ordered Laurence Shames' Sunburn from my library.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 101 comments Didn't know but am going to try some of the books listed. Thanks for the post.

I think Ruth Rendell is very droll in her mysteries and very funny.

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 69 comments This is great. I'd have like to have seen James' Doss on the winners' list -especially his Shamman mysteries. I'll look up some of the other titles. Hurray!And thanks.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) The Peculiar Crime Unit series by Christopher Fowler make me laugh out loud.....or at least chuckle audibly. They are whimsical, far-fetched, and just plain insane......and lots of fun. The mysteries usually revolve around some little-known historical fact about London and the detectives, Bryant and May, are elderly which is rather unusual in detective fiction.....but it doesn't stop them from running around town hunting down the criminals. I am eagerly awaiting the next book of the series.

message 6: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A I love this series - I want to meet Janice!! Another series that is laugh out loud funny is Ben Rehder, Buck Fever: A Blanco County Texas Novel Buck Fever A Blanco County Texas Novel by Ben Rehder being the first in the series. The cover says it all...

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina I am reading a funny, light book right now Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews. First book in the Meg Langslow series.

I've seen comparisons to Evanovich's Stephanie Plum's series, but I don't wholly agree so far. It does feature a female protagonist and her zany family, but I feel this series is lot more....charming... than the Evanovich series.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 31 comments A place you might want to check out if you like humorous mysteries is at Stop, You're Killing Me http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Gen...

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 70 comments The Dutch writer A. C. Baantjer's DeKok series is slyly funny enough to be immensely popular in the Netherlands, enough to rate a long tv series there. Many books have been translated into English.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Susan wrote: "The Dutch writer A. C. Baantjer's DeKok series is slyly funny enough to be immensely popular in the Netherlands, enough to rate a long tv series there. Many books have been translated into English."

Amazingly, they are translated and on kindle. Which one would is your favorite? Do you suggest reading them in order?

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanjoseph) | 70 comments Anne wrote: "Susan wrote: "The Dutch writer A. C. Baantjer's DeKok series is slyly funny enough to be immensely popular in the Netherlands, enough to rate a long tv series there. Many books have been translate..."

The order does not matter; and I don't have a favorite. They're all equally flavorful.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) Thanks, Susan. "Flavorful," I like that.

message 14: by Dfordoom (new)

Dfordoom | 18 comments The funniest mysteries ever written were I think Edmund Crispin's Gervase Fen books, from the 40s and early 50s.

message 15: by Ben (new)

Ben Rehder | 7 comments Cheryl, I appreciate your nice comment about BUCK FEVER. (FYI, I'm putting some of my Blanco County comic mysteries out as ebooks right now.)

I'd like to recommend Pete Hautman, especially his Joe Crow novels. Very funny stuff.

Also love Laurence Shames.

message 16: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A Thanks, Ben. We did Buck Fever at our Mystery Book Club at the library and every really enjoyed it. As Texans, we really appreciated the fact that while the cast of characters (especially Red & Billy Don) were real characters, the descriptions of the townspeople were treated with dignity and respect.