Cozy Mysteries discussion

GRs Links or other Websites > Awards for funniest mysteries

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 382 comments Did you guys know they used to give an award for funniest mystery of the year? They stopped-- I wonder why! But anyway, here's what I found out about it:

THE LAST LAUGH DAGGER

Between 1988 and 1996, the CWA presented an award for the year's best humorous crime novel; this was initially known as The Punch Award, but subsequently changed to the Last Laugh Dagger
Winners

1996: Two For The Dough - Janet Evanovich
1995: Sunburn - Laurence Shame
1994: The Villain of the Earth - Simon Shaw
1993: The Mamur Zapt and The Spoils of Egypt - Michael Pearce
1992: Native Tongue - Carl Hiaasen
1991: Angels in Arms - Mike Ripley
1990: Killer Cinderella - Simon Shaw
1989: Angel Touch - Mike Ripley
1988: Death in a Distant Land - Nancy Livingston

message 2: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments The Lefty Award is presented for the most humorous mystery. The list goes from 1996 to the present. Here's the link:
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Awa...

message 3: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (marja1) | 977 comments Jennifer wrote: "Did you guys know they used to give an award for funniest mystery of the year? They stopped-- I wonder why! But anyway, here's what I found out about it:

THE LAST LAUGH DAGGER

Between 1988..."

There's nothing I enjoy more than a humorous mystery. Guess I'll be adding to my TBR list.

message 4: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (tribalcat) | 306 comments @Nell - thanks for posting that URL, I'll have to add to my TBR list, for sure!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 324 comments I can't imagine why Laura Levine is not on the list. She writes the Jaine Austen mysteries, and I actually roar with laughter through every one of her books. She is so darned funny, and her mysteries are also well-plotted and hard to solve~

message 6: by Ellie (last edited Aug 19, 2011 07:35AM) (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I agree Linda. Laura Levine is hilarious. I've read Death by Pantyhose, The PMS Murder, and I'm in the middle of Last Writes. I also bought Killing Bridezilla & am barely holding off getting Pampered to Death until I finish the others.

I also find Kathleen Bacus increasingly funny as her Calamity Jayne series progresses.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 206 comments I've read several of the books on the lists and while I liked them I don't know that I would have called them "funny". Janet Evanovich is a given. Even when her books are repetitive and really have no story I still love them because they make me laugh out loud. I also think Shelly Fredman is laugh out loud funny. I guess though what makes one person laugh doesn't always translate as funny to someone else. Lois Greiman Peggy Webb Maggie Barbieri and Lisa Lutz are others that I find particularly funny:)

message 8: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I usually find Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow series pretty funny. I found Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon and We'll Always Have Parrots particularly funny.