Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 133 (133 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I've read Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon already, but was thinking that a reread was in order. Right now I'm waiting for the audio from my library, and should have it this week. If anyone's interested, I'd love to read along with someone/ small group. Dates, discussion format can be worked out to however it works best for everyone else. Happy 4th of July!

message 2: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments I'm in!

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I think I have this on audio -- cassette! Let me double check.

message 4: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments Happy 4th of July! I'd like to join you. Did you hear that the anniversary edition is coming out soon? Or maybe it's already in the bookstore... haven't been out.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments taita wrote: "Happy 4th of July! I'd like to join you. Did you hear that the anniversary edition is coming out soon? Or maybe it's already in the bookstore... haven't been out."

I went to a Borders here in my area, and I didn't see it. Of course, they don't have too much in their audio section, so that's not saying much. I'm going to follow up with my library if I don't hear anything from them soon.

message 6: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments Hard cover anniversary edition secured! I got it at my local Barnes & Noble. There was a small display, but I had to ask someone to help me locate it. So excited! Not sure about this cod for the musical though. A musical? Hmmm...

message 7: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Ok, I have my old trusty tattered paperback and an ebook version of this and I'm raring to go, so just say the word.
I've noticed there are 41 chapters.
Do you think 3 chapter a night will be not enough/too many?

message 8: by Lina (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:46PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments taita wrote: "Hard cover anniversary edition secured! I got it at my local Barnes & Noble. There was a small display, but I had to ask someone to help me locate it. So excited! Not sure about this cod for the..."

I'm not sure that it would ever come to Australia, but I'd be interested in this. It's such a complex story, so many characters, that I'd wonder how they could do it justice in a musical format. Or a movie for that matter...

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:51PM) (new)

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "Ok, I have my old trusty tattered paperback and an ebook version of this and I'm raring to go, so just say the word.
I've noticed there are 41 chapters.
Do you think 3 chapter a night will be not..."

I think 3 chapters a night are good. I have my old paperback copy too. I could start with that, so I don't appear to be stalking the library or something, LOL! Does anyone have a particular start date in mind?

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "At YouTube Outlander a musical?"

Thanks for the link Lisa Kay! Now I'm all pumped up to get started :)

message 12: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments I haven't opened the CD, but I will let you know when I get the nerve to listen to it. I took a gander at the comic book and didn't like it. I don't want to ruin my experience with Outlander.

I'm up for 3 chapters a night. Shall we start Friday? Just to give people a couple of more days to get their books in hand?

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments taita wrote: "I haven't opened the CD, but I will let you know when I get the nerve to listen to it. I took a gander at the comic book and didn't like it. I don't want to ruin my experience with Outlander.
..."

Friday would be fine with me. I did add the book to the group's "upcoming reads." If this Friday isn't good for everybody, we can always change the date.

message 14: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Friday sounds good to me.
I'm happy to start it off. Is it just the 3/4 of us then so far?

message 15: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Ladies, I have a problem! I've only just realised that I have misinterpreted the question for a uni assignment due on Monday. I'm going to have to start it pretty much from scratch. Is there any chance we can delay this for a couple of days or I'm willing to go third/fourth. So sorry!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "Ladies, I have a problem! I've only just realised that I have misinterpreted the question for a uni assignment due on Monday. I'm going to have to start it pretty much from scratch. Is there any ch..."

That's fine with me. It may give others the opportunity to join in if they'd like.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I don't mind delaying... I have a ton on my plate. :)

message 18: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Thanks ladies!

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Me too! Hopefully I'll be able to join you ladies on time now! :o)

message 20: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments I don't mind delaying either. :-)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments So, we're all okay with starting on Monday July 11th?

message 22: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments yes please!

message 23: by taita (new)

taita | 188 comments Monday it is!

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Ugh! I went to the library today to pick up the audiobook copy that I requested. I didn't realize that I requested books on cassette, and not cd. I don't have a cassette player. Now, I'm on the right waiting list, and the wait will be a long one :( Thankfully, the paperback is ready and waiting for Monday!

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 09, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh no, ✿Michelle✿! Remember going to the music store and all the cassettes were gone? Just GONE!

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh no, ✿Michelle✿! Remember going to the music store and all the cassettes were gone? Just GONE!"

LOL!

message 27: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments The narrator Davina Porter is the best, how now hear Jamie in her voice. You'll love them. I did a 3rd re-read by audiobook of the whole series.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "The narrator Davina Porter is the best, how now hear Jamie in her voice. You'll love them. I did a 3rd re-read by audiobook of the whole series."

That's food know. I'm hoping it won't take forever to get the audiobooks from the library. A 3rd reread?! Wow!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Does anyone mind if I take chapters 1-3?

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments We're taking chapters? Wow, I guess this a military boot-camp type of buddy read? ;o)

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Megan, I think she means for coming up with questions. You're killing me!

message 32: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments No problems Michelle. I'll do 4-6.

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Megan, I think she means for coming up with questions. You're killing me!"

LOL!

message 34: by Michelle (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "We're taking chapters? Wow, I guess this a military boot-camp type of buddy read? ;o)"

LMAO!!!!!! You know how I am, if there's no order to it, I'll be totally lost, and behind everyone else. That said, its not a requirement. If you're able to resist, I'll probably read GOT as well. I'd like to start getting my BAB's out of the way.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "No problems Michelle. I'll do 4-6."

Thanks! I'll post a "starters" list of who has what later on tonight. We can add Lisa Kay and Taita tomorrow night or the next night if they don't see this thread again until then.

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm here! I'll do 7-9.

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm here! I'll do 7-9."

Ok, great :)

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments Michelle, what the heck does BAB stand for??

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Megan wrote: "Michelle, what the heck does BAB stand for??"

big ass book......

message 40: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Megan wrote: "Michelle, what the heck does BAB stand for??"

big ass book......"

LMAO!! Michelle, now I'm tempted to add a BAB shelf! I'm the same, I'm in the mood for some more engrossing reads :-)

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments LOL!! I should have been able to figure that out!!

message 42: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments I may hop in on occasion. I love this book. I'm on book 2 now.

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Hey everybody!

I'll post my questions soon. Sorry CaroB, I wanted to post this am because I know you're almost a day ahead of right? Of course, I hit snooze one too many times, so I was running late for work, and couldn't post this morning :(

message 44: by Lina (last edited Jul 11, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Hey everybody!

I'll post my questions soon. Sorry CaroB, I wanted to post this am because I know you're almost a day ahead of right? Of course, I hit snooze one too many times, so I was runnin..."

Awww, Michelle, thank you!! It's ok, I decided to have a little celebration last night for finishing my assignment in three days, so it's probably a good thing I wasn't trying to answer the questions with tipsy fingers :-p

Woohoo! It's starting!! I'm excited about doing a buddy-read for this one, as it's one of my all-time favourites (have I mentioned that most of my RL friends aren't readers? verra verra sad lassies!)

I'm off to do the school run now and then have playgroup etc so will answer the questions after the kids have gone to sleep tonight. Woohoo! Ok, I'll tamper the excitement meter down now...

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm sorry ladies, as this is a reread for me, it's hard not to blur other chapters into my questions. I've done my best to stay strictly in chapters 1-3. I can't wait to discuss this as we go on! The first time I read it, I didn't have anyone to discuss it with :(

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Michelle's ques for chap 1-3:

1.What was impression of the relationship between Frank and Claire?

2.What were you thinking about the Druids meeting at the stone circle?

3.If you were in Claire’s shoes, and heard the stone “scream” what would you have done?

4.What were your first thoughts regarding Jonathan Randall?

5.What was Randall’s first impression of Claire?

6.Did I miss something? Why did Murtagh capture/ rescue Claire from Captain Randall?

7.What’s your first impression of Jamie?

8.Claire is an educated woman of the 1940’s. Aside from being shocked, what do you think of her response to the crudeness of Dougal and company?

9.I think that Diana Gabaldon’s writing is a bit wordy, but that she tells an excellent story. What are your thoughts on her style of writing so far?

message 47: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:28PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments 1. They have been separated during their marriage much longer than they were together and it's as if I feel Frank is telling her he wasn't faithful to her by asking her if she was with him. They felt like they were just getting to know each other.

2. At first I thought the ladies were a little kooky but not once it worked.

3. If I heard the scream, I would have turned and run screaming myself. But I think she was already hooked in when the screaming happened.

4. Jonathan Randall was a filthy pig. This is before what happens later, he automatically thought she was a prostitute and acted accordingly.

5. Fear and surprise at how much he looks like Frank but is nothing like Frank.

6. I think he just "helped" the woman that was escaping Jonathan Randall.

7. I didn't even know he was the main character at first, I thought it was Dougal and the way she kept calling him a young man, I didn't see the romance between them until the large party where he whispered in her ear.

8. I thought she handled all of the traveling and sleeping outdoors, being cold and wet, a whole lot better than I would have. Maybe the early years she spent with her uncle may have influenced her. I would have been whining and complaining the whole time.

9. Yes, the author is very wordy and sometimes her history lessons are a little much, but overall I think it makes me understand the whole story of why Claire and Jamie do the things they do. I love her writing style, history, romance with some very hot sex scenes, tragedy, pathos. Love them.

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I am sorry ladies; I have overextended myself this month. I am going to bow out of this read. I only have one chapter done. If I can catch up I will try to jump back in. I'm sorry; I won't be able to do the questions for Chapters 7-9.

I'll sleep on it overnight, but that is my decision right now. Again, sorry.

message 49: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments Lisa Kay, no worries hun, you can just pop in for a chat now and then if you like. No need to stress, it's all in good fun.

I hope you're able to catch up with your other commitments ! :-)

message 50: by Lina (last edited Jul 12, 2011 05:09PM) (new)

Lina | 5563 comments CaroB's answers to Michelle's ques for chap 1-3:

1.What was impression of the relationship between Frank and Claire? I think they seemed like a lovely couple who were trying to re-establish a connection after the war. They share a great humour (the bouncing on the bed springs made me laugh!) and I did think there was definitely an easy intimacy there.

Did anyone else think the "ghost" with the running stag brooch will be significant? I keep trying to fin a tie-in to this, would be interesteing to see in it's in this re-read that I might make a connection...

2.What were you thinking about the Druids meeting at the stone circle? I was wondering at the significance of the ritiual. Was it just to mark the Beltane or something specifically to call the Stones.

3.If you were in Claire’s shoes, and heard the stone “scream” what would you have done? I probably would have rushed off to see if I could find someone to verify I wasn't going crazy.

4.What were your first thoughts regarding Jonathan Randall? I could tell he was the bad guy, because he was dressed as an English soldier in a book I already knew was about Scots. And he seemd arrogant. But that's all from the first meeting. Oh, and as Carolyn F said, very surprised that he looked so much like Frank.

5.What was Randall’s first impression of Claire? He thought she was a prostitute, although he was clearly confused by her "fine" skin and accent. I didn't think too much about the fact she was a prostitute, only because I figured any lady showing her legs back then, may in all likelyhood have been looking to call attention to herself in a certain way... at least, those were the mores of the time...

6.Did I miss something? Why did Murtagh capture/ rescue Claire from Captain Randall? I had assumed it was because she had screamed and he thought he should get her away from Jack Randall at all costs, but then further along the chapter, I wondered if it wasn't more that when he realised she was English, he thought to use her as leverage of some kind, perhaps thought she was in league with the English soldiers?

7.What’s your first impression of Jamie? He gets introduced as an almost secondary character. I actually think this was very well done of DG, because that's how it happens in real life. When we meet someone, our first impression can be quite bland and then they end up playing a major role in our lives... It's very hard for me to answer this questions without gushing about all the wonderfulness that I know to be Jamie Fraser. (Named my first son Fraser after this character - I am SUCH a GEEK!!!.. and proud :-) )

8.Claire is an educated woman of the 1940’s. Aside from being shocked, what do you think of her response to the crudeness of Dougal and company? I think her upbringing and her work in the war have drummed into her a very practical outlook. She's well equipped to go straight into primitive, survival mode.

9.I think that Diana Gabaldon’s writing is a bit wordy, but that she tells an excellent story. What are your thoughts on her style of writing so far? I agree that she does seem to describe every little thing that happens, but I also know from previous reads that sometimes things you read about will end up having a greater significance down the line. And I love the feeling that I'm getting a glimpse into a possibly historic reality, that this is how people back then went about their days.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)