YA Apocalyptic and Dystopian Fiction discussion

Book Suggestions > Stand alone books or series that are finished

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (amz310783) | 5 comments I've already read the hunger games, can anyone recommend any series that are finished or any stand alone books?
Thanks

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 04, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Jennifer (panda62897) | 16 comments You could try The Forest of Hands and Teeth, it's a 3 book series by Carrie Ryan.
Or the wolves of mercy falls series by Maggie Stiefvater. Shiver is the first book, Linger is the second, Forever is the third and comes out July 12.
Divergent by Veronica Roth is the first book in an unfinished trilogy. I know you were looking for finished series but this was by far the best book I've read all year.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie I believe The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher is a stand alone and you could either read The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry as a stand alone or read the companion novels Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) by Lois Lowry and Messenger (The Giver, #3) by Lois Lowry .

There is the Chaos Walking trilogy The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) by Patrick Ness The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2) by Patrick Ness and The 3rd book in The Maze Runner trilogy comes out in October. The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner

message 4: by Alli (new)

Alli Chin (allic) I LOVE MAZE RUNNER. love love love love; i cannot wait for death cure ^0^

And I heard that the Chaos Walking Series was amazing. I just bought the first book.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (amz310783) | 5 comments Thanks guys, have already read Choas walking, think I will try The Giver as I have that on tbr.
Please keep the suggestions coming though.

message 6: by Bethany (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:23AM) (new)

Bethany It's really hard finding stand alone books, isn't it...everything is a series these days. You could also check out the Uglies series. Or there's
Hollowland, which is amazing. It's on it's own now, but I believe the author is making it a trilogy.

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I really don't know much about your tastes, but here are some books that to my knowledge are stand-alones/finshed series:

Uglies trilogy and its companion Extras
Hidden Talents and True Talents
The Wave
A Series of Unfortunate Events, starting with The Bad Beginning
Story Time (excellent stand-alone book)
Feed by M.T. Anderson (stand-alone futuristic book)

I think that I have some more suggestions, but I will have to come back later with those.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy (amz310783) | 5 comments Thanks, I have read and loved Uglies, it's what got me hooked on dystopian fiction in the first place (well that and Never Let Me Go.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Some more that I did not think of earlier:

Liar
Animal Farm
Downsiders
Bruiser
The View from Saturday
Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd
The Bar Code Tattoo and its sequel The Bar Code Rebellion (this series was done after these two books, short but effective)
Boot Camp
House of Stairs
Interstellar Pig and Parasite Pig (a finished series of two)
The Hungry City Chronicles (in the future cities fly and eat each other for resources- town cannibalism) four books, starts with Mortal Engines
The Mysterious Benedict Society series of three books, starts with The Mysterious Benedict Society
Ender's Game (can be read as a stand-alone but there's more books about this character and a branch-off series about a different character starting with Ender's Shadow)
An Abundance of Katherines
The True Meaning of Smekday (charming stand-alone that takes a funny perspective on alien invasion. Highly recommend)
Watchmen

message 10: by Bethany (new)

Bethany This one isn't dystopian, but it's a pretty funny stand alone novel that was very different and refreshing...
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris (necaros) | 26 comments ^ completely OT, but Soon I Will Be Invincible was fantastic! I loved that book! One of the few that I immediately re-read as soon as I was finished.

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany What's OT? sorry, if i'm dumb, but i'm drawing a blank...

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie S. off-topic? That's my best guess.

message 14: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) off topic... (i think that's how it was used)

message 15: by Chris (last edited Jul 06, 2011 08:39PM) (new)

Chris (necaros) | 26 comments Yeah, sorry, it was me going off topic.. I'm used to a couple of forums that it is expected to keep everything coherent.

message 16: by Bethany (new)

Bethany O..haha. it's all good. This group is mostly women, so you can imagine...we go off topic pretty easily :)

message 17: by Graciela (new)

Graciela Marez (marez3397) I didn't notice... hmmm. Interesting!

message 18: by Alli (new)

Alli Chin (allic) aha, very off topic xP

message 19: by Lovi (new)

Lovi | 17 comments Here completed series/stand alone books that I know of:

The Graveyard Book
Green Angel
Everlost
Inside Out
Leviathan<--- third book in the series is coming out in September

message 20: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mendy wrote: "Here completed series/stand alone books that I know of:

The Graveyard Book
Green Angel
Everlost
Inside Out
Leviathan<--- th..."

I've heard good things about Green Angel and Inside Out. Everlost is a really great series. It's geared towards a bit of a younger audience, but it's really fun.

Is the graveyard book good? I've seen it around and wondered...

message 21: by Lovi (last edited Jul 07, 2011 11:56PM) (new)

Lovi | 17 comments Bethany wrote: "Mendy wrote: "Here completed series/stand alone books that I know of:

The Graveyard Book
Green Angel
Everlost
Inside Out
[book:Leviathan|6..."

It's an interesting book. The storyline wasn't as smooth as I like it. You may be reading one chapter and then you find out three years have already past.

message 22: by Michael (last edited Jul 13, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Michael Poeltl (mikepoeltl) | 10 comments My own series will be complete end of this year, with the first two of the trilogy available now in paperback and ebook on Amazon.
The Judas Syndrome AND Rebirth

For more on the series visit www.the-judas-syndrome.com

message 23: by Bethany (last edited Jul 13, 2011 05:43PM) (new)

Bethany The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

This one is a stand alone novel and it was amazing! It's based on Irish forklore about water horses. Very unique. Good storytelling and great characters. I highly recommend it :)

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen (baynej) | 169 comments Everlost is part of a 3 book series by Neal Shusterman that is complete. You could also check out Inside Out/Outside In duo by Maria V. Snyder. I believe that's done. Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series is great. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan is another series that's fantastic. Chronicles of Vlad Todd by Heather Brewer are pretty good. The Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris is almost done. There's one left in the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead. The Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix is complete and so is the Midnighters by Scott Westerfeld.

message 25: by Angela (last edited Aug 14, 2011 11:06AM) (new)

Angela (fumiko8283) | 1 comments I don’t know if this series is along the lines of what you’re looking for but I just finished Amanda Hockings Trylle series. I loved it. The first one is Switched, then Torn and the last is Ascend. SwitchedTornAscend All of which are out. I really enjoyed them but I really like a good stand alone book but they are so hard to find. I also just finished not to long ago Toads and Diamonds by Heather TomlinsonToads and Diamonds. It’s interesting, but I enjoyed it. You may have already read this but Matched by Ally Condie is the first of a trilogy that I picked up unaware that it was the start of a trilogy. I loved it but the next in the series, Crossed, isn’t due out this November.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Bethany wrote: "The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

This one is a stand alone novel and it was amazing! It's based on Irish forklore about water horses. Very unique. Good storytelling and great characters. I h..."

Dude Bethany! You've read this one?! It doesn't come out till October! I'm seriously jealous of you right now!

message 27: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Yeah, I'm seriously considering becoming a librarian...just to get books early ;)

That book was incredible. I will probably buy it...and that's rare for me.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (StephanieLastPage) | 2 comments Exodus by Julie Bertagna is fantastic and not very well-known. There's a sequal, but it's kind of...meh. It reads well as a standalone book.

message 29: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" | 51 comments Read this book it is reeeeally good and there is to be a book two aswell

message 30: by Bethany (new)

Bethany So, it's not dystopian, but this is a stand alone novel and it was pretty good.
Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

message 31: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 31 comments Eden by Keary Taylor was a great book and I am pretty sure it's standalone.