Irish Readers discussion

MONTHLY GROUP READS > July Read - Paper Towns, Spoiler Thread

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This thread is for those who have read the book and can spoil away.

message 2: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 50 comments Wahey! I adore this book. I'm going to re-read my copy, but just for a little tid bid, John Greens next book, which he hasn't finished and has no dust jacket, and just last week got a name, was the number one bestseller on Amazon and Barnes and Nobel for almost a week :P And he's signing every pre-order :)

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna I really liked that - very clever & engaging. I enjoyed all the literary references to 'Moby Dick'(which happens to be one of my favourites) and as I grew up on a diet of Whitman's 'Leaves of Grass' I was thrilled to see it quoted so frequently and hopefully being re-discovered for the younger generations (note to self - time to re-read it, it's been too long).

Mind you, the literary allusions were a touch heavy handed at times but as the book was intended for much younger readers than myself, I can't really fault the author for that.

I really like the way in which Green chose the themes which while being extremely relevant for the teenagers (e.g. self-identity, perception of others, obsession and imagination to name but few) are equally close to any reflective person of any age, making this book a whole lot more than your average teenage-angst YA novel.

I also enjoyed the way in which he proposes several concepts about the nature of relations between people but although we might get an idea which one the narrator opts for, they are largely left up for debate and ultimately get to be the reader's choice. That's good writing for me.

All in all, great read, I'll definitely check out John Green's other books. 4.5 stars. Not 5 because... I don't know, I guess for lacking this wow-factor that would make me want to re-read it instantly after putting it away ;)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for your comments Joanna. I must confess that I haven't got around to reading this book yet.

message 5: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 50 comments Joanna wrote: "I really liked that - very clever & engaging. I enjoyed all the literary references to 'Moby Dick'(which happens to be one of my favourites) and as I grew up on a diet of Whitman's 'Leaves of Grass..."

Totaly agree. John Green's book are not your average YA novel. He's signing every pre-order of his next book, the Fault in Our Stars, which is about Cancer survivors, and he discovered he has to sign 150,000 copies before January 10th.
The fact that he's doing this shows he cares about his fans.
But I love his books. Looking for Alaska is excellent as well. I prefer Paper Towns, personally, but it's still a great read, and I'm so happy you enjoyed it. :)

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna @ Mairead Really, he's signing 150,000 copies??? Poor man, even if he just puts an 'X' it's still a whole lotta signing ;) I like that he's keeping his word though :)
I've already bought 'Looking for Alaska' and I'll read it... some time soon... when I reduce my TBR pile by a bit... maybe about 200 books... ;) Did you put that up for nomination? If so, thank you, I always love to discover new (for me) authors, and if this book is an indication of quality of his other works, I'm a very happy girl.

message 7: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 50 comments He does the J scribble for all of them. :)
Yeah, I put it up for nomination, and had a blast re-reading it. :)
There is a line in Looking for Alaska that perfectly describes me, and many others I think
"when I look into my room, I see a girl who loves books."
:) She has a theory that everyones room tells you what that person is about...love his writing style, and so happy to impart the awesome.
And we know he's signing them because he's signing them during his Vlogbrother vids of Youtube. :D