Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Questions for Chapters 25-36

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holli (last edited Sep 21, 2008 08:00AM) (new)

Holli 1. Why does Kath go so far in trying to win Lee back? Did this surprise you considering she was pursuing a career of her own and beginning to do well in her life without him? Would you, like Kath's friends, be reluctant to tell her to leave her husband?

2. The old abandoned mansion is a haunting presence throughout most of the novel. What does this house seem to symbolize now? Does it mean something different to each of the Sisters? Who is the woman seen in the house? What is the significance of its destruction?

3. The women's movement provides an evolving backdrop to the lives of the women. Did any of you live through this period and if so what was it like for you to be a part of it? If you didn't and were born in the 70's or after....would you have wanted to live through this time or are you glad our mothers did it for us?

4. Alot of this part of the novel dealt with Ally and her ever increasing want for a child and the steps she took to have one. How did you feel about the risks she took and would you have done the same?

5. Frankie and her husband Danny spent a big chunk of time apart while he went away to do his work. Have any of you had to go through that with a husband or significant other and how hard was that for you?

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Holli you have the best questions. You are missing your calling.........

message 3: by Holli (last edited Sep 21, 2008 06:20PM) (new)

Holli I hear you guys when you give me these great compliments on stuff I write and say but I really have no idea how to implement that into my life except to do what I'm doing :)

I wish I did know how.....or knew where to start LOL Thank you so much for the compliments though.....I really do love being creative in the ways I am able to be on here in this group!! Makes my day......

message 4: by Holli (last edited Sep 27, 2008 06:59AM) (new)

Holli 1. Why does Kath go so far in trying to win Lee back? Did this surprise you considering she was pursuing a career of her own and beginning to do well in her life without him? Would you, like Kath's friends, be reluctant to tell her to leave her husband?

I think that Kath took his cheating as she was not good enough as a woman and a wife and that dredged up horrible memories of her parents telling her she wasn't good enough. Its a horrible cycle alot of people fall into in their lives. It really did surprise me because she was doing so well for herself and becoming independent but back then divorce had a horrible stigma and I don't think she could face the failure of her marriage. I would not be reluctant to tell my friends to leave and have done so quite a few times actually. My friends have always come to me because i give honest open advice and I'm not judgmental or afraid to say what I think.

2. The old abandoned mansion is a haunting presence throughout most of the novel. What does this house seem to symbolize now? Does it mean something different to each of the Sisters? Who is the woman seen in the house? What is the significance of its destruction?

Ok I really don't get the whole point of the mansion at all to the story. I feel like it just went right over my head because I still don't know what it means, who is in it, why its even in the story.

3. The women's movement provides an evolving backdrop to the lives of the women. Did any of you live through this period and if so what was it like for you to be a part of it? If you didn't and were born in the 70's or after....would you have wanted to live through this time or are you glad our mothers did it for us?

I did not live through this time as I was born in 1974 but I honestly am glad I didn't. I would not have been able to stand the inequality, the whole a man and his castle way of life, nope. Could not have done it. Even now my grandma and I fight because she will say things like "she deserved his cheating because obviously she wasn't doing what she was supposed to do as a wife". Are you kidding me??!! Oh we fight about that....

4. Alot of this part of the novel dealt with Ally and her ever increasing want for a child and the steps she took to have one. How did you feel about the risks she took and would you have done the same?

I've been in this situation because its incredibly risky health wise for me to be pregnant and no I chose not to do those risky things so i don't agree with her. But I also don't have a desperate longing to have a kid so I know for those people who do they will stop at nothing to get pregnant. and I can admire that and appreciate it.

5. Frankie and her husband Danny spent a big chunk of time apart while he went away to do his work. Have any of you had to go through that with a husband or significant other and how hard was that for you?

My ex husband and I would spend a month and a half apart at times during fire season with no contact whatsoever because he was a smoke jumper for the Forest Service in CA. It was extremely hard and took a toll on our marriage. I would hate to have to do that again BUT I could manange and overcome it.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I think with the Beauty Pagent being one of the cornerstones of the book it ran parallel to everyone's life. The beauty queen, is just perfect. She looks perfect, she does no wrong, she smiles, has perfect teeth, not a blemish on her and is everyone's perception of the perfect woman. It was something everyone back then held on to even though each of their lives were unraveling. Beauty queens didn't get divorced. Didn't have miscarriages, didn't have interracial marriages. The beauty queen epitimizied the perfect life.

On the other hand, the astronauts were the perfect men. They could conquer all, they defied gravity. They were all men.

So, when your life was falling apart back then, society was telling you to keep up the appearances, accept everything and look the part.

As reality sunk in the allure of the beauty pageants faded. On the other hand, the peace rallies, bra burning and all the other things that were going on in society played in the background. They were tempted, the were tormented, that was what life was like back then. You didn't know about people's lives falling apart, that was not news then so therefore it was not the accepted thing to do. Kath was desperately trying to cling to the perfect life. She didn't know what a remarkable person she was. That was a tragedy!

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Great answer Meg....really....I like your explanation. I can see (just by how my grandma and mom view the world) that it was a hard part of time to be alive in as a woman.