Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > YA books without romance?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkovary (new)

Darkovary Most of the YA books I've seen lately revolve around romance.
Do you know any YA book that is good and has no romance? And if it does, then just a little... :)

Thanks!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I read quite a bit of YA and don't know of any. What teen girl wants to read a book with no romance? I suspect not many. The Lightning Thief books don't have much if I remember right. I only read the first one.

Cindy (eclecticfirefly) (eclecticfirefly) | 44 comments I just finished Banished (Banished, #1) by Sophie Littlefield . Little to no romance in this one, but get the feeling that as the series progresses there will be more.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Jul 04, 2011 09:06AM) (new)

Heidi In Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer Jacky just flirts with everyone - it is mostly just about her though. There is little to no romance in Hate List by Jennifer Brown , Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King , The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler , or Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield, #1) by Jaclyn Moriarty .

message 5: by Julie (last edited Jul 04, 2011 09:30AM) (new)

Julie Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride and Stolen A letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher and the Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo is really good but it doesn't seem like anybody ever reads them lol House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse Kings, #1) by Robert Liparulo Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings, #2) by Robert Liparulo Gatekeepers (Dreamhouse Kings, #3) by Robert Liparulo Timescape (Dreamhouse Kings, #4) by Robert Liparulo Whirlwind (Dreamhouse Kings, #5) by Robert Liparulo Frenzy (Dreamhouse Kings #6) by Robert Liparulo

message 6: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) I agree, the Percy Jackson books don't really have any romance and they're really good!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 58 comments I recently read Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta and Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly ... very good stories with very little romance.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments I want to read those Dreamhouse Kings books. :) Thanks for reminding me. I don't hear much buzz about them either.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie I happened across House of Dark Shadows last winter for free on Kindle and I was so into it I was actually reading it while on vacation in Vegas!

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments Julie wrote: "I happened across House of Dark Shadows last winter for free on Kindle and I was so into it I was actually reading it while on vacation in Vegas!"

Lol. I think I have it on my Kindle also. I just never got around to reading it.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Most of these have no romance. Some of the books have a little bit, but it is not a major plot thing. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld The Pox Party (The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, #1) by M.T. Anderson Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes The Wave by Todd Strasser Eva by Peter Dickinson Lockdown (Escape From Furnace, #1) by Alexander Gordon Smith Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant On the Fringe Stories by Donald R. Gallo Hidden Talents by David Lubar The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex The Roar by Emma Clayton Story Time by Edward Bloor The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull Tunnels (Tunnels, #1) by Roderick Gordon Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

I am not sure what kind of books you like or what kind of age level you are looking for, so I included a variety of books that I have enjoyed. Some of these have series, so if you look those, there is more where that came from. Hidden Talents by David Lubar has a sequel called True Talents by David Lubar . Tunnels (Tunnels, #1) by Roderick Gordon starts a series that continues for several books.

message 12: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Huh... I would say Gone has a pretty strong romance.

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Wintergirls. Deals with teenage eating disorders Hate List
Deals with the aftermath of a school shooting. Must read for all teenagers

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Wendy F wrote: "Huh... I would say Gone has a pretty strong romance."

I only read the first one and I agree.

I'm about 50 pages from the end of Plain Kate by Erin Bow and there has been no romance and I don't foresee it manifesting itself. It's enjoyable. A bit like a fairytale, kind of Tamora Pierce's style without the flirting

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Wendy F wrote: "Huh... I would say Gone has a pretty strong romance."

I guess that it was not a huge one if it did not make a lasting impact on me. Just kidding. It's been a few years, so maybe I was off in that assessment. Thanks Wendy F for filling in the blanks of my memory.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (manchesterunited) | 14 comments I just finished Silverfin
This was a really fun, fast and suspenseful start of a prequel James Bond series. Bond, James Bond, is 13 and gets involved in a plot to make the perfect soldier. I just grabbed the next two in the series and will keep you posted.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Finished Plain Kate by Erin Bow and started All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) by Meg Cabot for the featured author of the month. Not sure if this is one of the better Meg Cabots or not. They just had the first of the series so I grabbed it. ( I also like lists, so that highly influenced my decision).

Have a whole pile of books to enjoy on my vacation or when I'm done.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I have All American Girl (and the sequel) at home to read sometime Cassi. I have heard it was pretty good so I can't wait to see what you think.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Dude how did this end up on this thread. LOL. I meant to type it on the other.

It is early isn't it?

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Cassi (is secretly listening to Heidi SHHH) wrote: "Dude how did this end up on this thread. LOL. I meant to type it on the other.

It is early isn't it?"

hahaha - the sad part is I didn't even know the title of this thread until you said that! I need some sleep.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 2261 comments Heidi I think this means its nap time for us. And I just got up.

(Seriously been having trouble recovering from camp. My body just wants to sleep for forever)

message 22: by Derek (new)

Derek (DerekJCanyon) | 11 comments No romance in my YA action/adventure novel, The Elemental Odyssey:

The Elemental Odyssey Tales of Zura Book One (Volume 1) by Derek J Canyon

message 23: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Kevin wrote: "I just finished Silverfin
This was a really fun, fast and suspenseful start of a prequel James Bond series. Bond, James Bond, is 13 and gets involved in a plot to make the perfect s..."

I second this series. My son has read the whole series this summer and his pet peeve is when there is romance in it.

message 24: by julia (new)

julia (disreputablefrankiefrancesfranks) | 4 comments Heidi (Yup. Still here.) wrote: "In Bloody Jack Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) by L.A. Meyer Jacky just flirts with everyone - it is mostly just about her though. There is little..."

Actually, as the seiries progresses, there is a lot more romance. Enough to make me go 'ew' at least once a chapter. And about three times a book, 'ewwwwwwwwwwwww'

message 25: by julia (new)

julia (disreputablefrankiefrancesfranks) | 4 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I read quite a bit of YA and don't know of any. What teen girl wants to read a book with no romance? I suspect not many. The Lightning Thief books don't have much if I remember right. I only re..."

Me.

message 26: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (cwgraham) | 7 comments I recently read Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn, and there really isn't any romance. Great read once you hit the halfway point (not very long).

message 27: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey (cwgraham) | 7 comments I recently read Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn, and there really isn't any romance. Great read once you hit the halfway point (not very long).

message 28: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Mugleston (fighttowrite) | 34 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I read quite a bit of YA and don't know of any. What teen girl wants to read a book with no romance? I suspect not many. The Lightning Thief books don't have much if I remember right. I only re..."

There are plenty of teen girls, teen boys and adults of both genders that don't like romance.
We just get steamrolled by the romance craze.

message 29: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Mugleston (fighttowrite) | 34 comments I'm 24 and YA really came into its own when I was young with series like Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter and The Bartimaeus Trilogy dominating.
As a result, many readers my age and younger(and older) never quit reading YA.
The genre didn't magically transform into an all female fan group just because Twilight was released. They just made the most noise so the publishers and authors noticed and started mass producing it.
We are still here.
And we crave good reads.
:)

message 30: by C.J. (last edited Oct 08, 2015 07:37PM) (new)

C.J. Mugleston (fighttowrite) | 34 comments I highly recommend:
The Enemy series by Charlie Higson
The Ashfall trilogy by Mike Mullins
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
The Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeves
The Child Thief by Brom
and Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi.

There are plenty of great and unromantic YA books on my read shelf if you guys want to look.
It's pretty much all I read.

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nankay) | 4 comments Maggie Stiefvater herself recommended Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein when I sent her a Tumblr message regarding all the romance in YA.