Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Books About Feeling Good About the Way You Look

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorothea (new)

Dorothea | 7 comments Can anyone recommend any picture books that deal with the topic about feeling good about the way you look/accepting your looks? I'm teaching a one evening class to a group of girls ages 12-17 about feeling beautiful about themselves no matter what the world or anyone else is saying but I thought that sometimes illustrated books do a good job of driving home the point in a simple way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

message 2: by Dawn (last edited Jul 04, 2011 03:59AM) (new)

Dawn VanLerberghe | 1 comments The first one that comes to mind is I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont. It's my favorite because if its rhyming corkiness. If I think if more, I will post them.

"Be your own kind of beautiful" I put this wall sticker on my 9 years old daughter's bedroom wall. Any way to imprint that one the brain!

message 3: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I Like Me!
Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon looks good, but I have never read it.

message 4: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 6183 comments Mod
Wonderful topic, thank you! Stand Straight, Ella Kate is a bit of a stretch maybe, but an excellent biography in any case.

message 5: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

Dawn, I like your motto for your daughter, and I put I Like Myself! on my ILL list.

message 6: by Dorothea (new)

Dorothea | 7 comments Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I will put them on hold at my library!

message 7: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

And let us know if you come up with others, too, please. Good thread to keep alive.

message 8: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments Yes, this is a very nice topic! :-)

message 9: by Cheryl, Newbery Club host (new)

I just read I Like Myself!, and though it took a few pages to get to the part that was meaningful, it was fun all the way through and I do like & recommend it for all ages.

message 10: by Amy (last edited Jan 25, 2015 09:03PM) (new)

Amy Latta | 13 comments Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade sounds just about right. It features a girl named Elsie who has weight issues.

There's also one I remember reading that had the central theme of finding what you like and dealing with disappointment. Glass Slippers Give You Blisters