Clean Reads discussion

Clean Reads Book Club > The Help, July 24-30, pgs 393-530

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
comments on week 4 reading

message 2: by Marla (new)

Marla | 45 comments I really enjoyed reading this book for our book club. The characters were so rich and the life and spunk of the "help" were fascinating. I had so much admiration for the maids that were interviewed. For Skeeter it was just a project and it made me angry that she couldn't understand how dangerous it would be for the maids.

I just could not believe the Awful Truth. But I loved how it is the reason that Hilly couldn't come forward.

The random naked white man was unnecessary in my opinion, except it did show that the skinny white lady would protect Minny. I felt sorry for her since she couldn't get in with the white women.

It's been a while since I read it, but these are issues I remember...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I read it a few weeks ago and mainly remember the intense emotional roller coaster I was on as I read it. I laughed but then I cried more. I am debating about the movie.

I thought the naked white man was too funny. Celia was my favorite character. I just liked her too much. She was so tough.

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Willis (marilynsmuses) | 15 comments The movie is excellent!!!! The characters are so well protrayed you will love it. BUT....you WILL be on an emotional roller coaster. I was amazed at the movie and how well done it was. You got the full import of each character. DO GO!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Marilyn, I will be sure to take a box of kleenex. I am glad to hear its so well done. The trailer here led me to believe otherwise. I guess it was Hilly in the trailer in purple but not sure.