Manga Book Club discussion

Events! > Mangaka of 2011: Yuu Watase

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
The votes are in and Yuu Watase is our mangaka for 2011! Watase has written titles such as:
Fushigi Yugi, Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden, Absolute Boyfriend, Alice 19th, Ceres: Celestial Legend, Imadoki! Nowadays.

This event will be continously evolving throughout the year. We will be discussing style, titles, themes, etc. Remember to keep checking in!

message 2: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

I realized that for a year long event, I haven't done much with this event.

So, here it is, the topic!
Let's talk about your favorite story, the artwork, favorite characters, etc etc!

message 3: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Jul 03, 2011 08:36PM) (new)

I made up a quiz about our awesome 2011 mangaka for a challenge a few months ago.
For those who would also like to take it:
http://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/by_u...

message 4: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Jul 31, 2011 11:55PM) (new)

Well, I have been thinking about this topic, and I've decided to share a mini, uninteresting story.

I was first introduced to manga when I was a Junior in high school. I guess that's a little late for today's standards but at the time, manga wasn't exactly big yet. My friends and I have been reading Peach Girl together, and I had decided to go to the bookstore and try to find other things to read. I processed to the comic section of Barnes and Nobles (yes, this was back when comics had more space than even graphic novels) only to find books of Garfield, and disappointingly enough, no manga. As I turned the corner, I saw a tiny six-book cardboard encap display with Fushigi Yugi in it. It was the start to massive manga collection, and still to this day holds a dear place in my heart. If it weren't for Yuu Watase being as great of a mangaka as she is, I probably would not have started, or continued to collect and read manga.

So, that was my story. Maybe others have better ones about how Watase has touched their lives and/or collections.