Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > Lord Protector Clayton Spann

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Lord Protector by Clayton Spann

A $.99 kindle book. I've read a bit and not sure how far I'll get. A bit of an alternate history with the MC going back in time to solve the mystery of what happened to the princes in the tower.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 5 comments I'm doing the same and feel the same way. Interesting parts of finally seeing old London but the writing is really weak and starting to get annoying. We'll see.

message 3: by Misfit (last edited Jul 04, 2011 07:16AM) (new)

I'm about 1/3 of the way in. This time travel twist is rather bizarre.

(view spoiler)

Bah. I am saving up a ton of the *cough* best quotes on the kindle. I do like that Amazon kindle page they set up where I can have them sitting there to copy and paste. Just go to kindle.amazon.com and sign in with your Amazon account and get going :)

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments The author has Margaret married to Owen Tudor? Not a good sign if so. Her husband was Edmund Tudor, Owen's older son.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

I think the marriage may have been my assumption, I'll have to go back and look. It was said several times that she lived in Wales with Owen Tudor and I jumped to the marriage conclusion.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) That is truly a bizarre twist. Does Doctor Who show up?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

"Margaret left the chamber. She had a web to spin."

That was a laugh-out-loud moment.....not sure if in a good way or a bad way, but still, laugh-out-loud.

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Wait until the action returns to the present day and just wait until you see who goes there and who was hidden there. Lol.

(view spoiler)

I left off last night with a meal of burgers and chips (fries). The medieval boys are freaking over the ketchup (they think it's blod) and they're now wolfing down burgers called "Whoopers".

:D

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) First, thanks for providing the information about this group. :-) I'm a long-time Ricardian. I'm also an author, but not about this time period -- so you don't have to worry about me blowing my horn, LOL.

Anyway, yes. I picked this book up during the May eBook Week promotion on Smashwords, thinking "What the heck. I'm always up for alternative theories about the princes."

Oh. Help. This book jumped the shark so quickly ... and yet I felt strongly compelled to finish it. (Morbid curiosity, I suppose.) There was just so very much wrong with it.

I think the Whoopers thing was to avoid trademark infringement ... I was far more upset about "Acquataine". Egad.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Lol, I missed that one but I confess to skimming a lot. I am really strugging how to review it. There were some twists that were so damned hilarious (unintentionally) that I give him an extra point for that.

The R3 group doesn't always hop (I'm not a good mod), but the resources you get from some of the authors who have studied the period is a big plus. Brian, Susan, Joan and even the lovely Ms. Penman pops in on occasion.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Ms. Penman is indeed a delight. :-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) Some books are so bad they're almost good. Just like movies!

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Susanna wrote: "Some books are so bad they're almost good. Just like movies!"

:D

(view spoiler)

I suppose that's enough for now. I really must tell you all how it ends :D

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

message 15: by Misfit (new)

(view spoiler)