Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > Jim Morrison died 40 years ago today

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Just saw on the internet that Jim Morrison died 40 years ago today. Are there any big Doors fans out there? I know I am. Did anyone on TC ever get to see them play? That would incredible!

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I am neither a fan of big doors nor am I a big Doors fan. I enjoyed some of the music back then -- but have not found myself interested in it over the years.

Which songs do you like the most, Leslie?

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sorry, Leslie, but I never got Morrison's bloated, overwrought (big sarcastic tone of voice ) "poetry" at all.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I like People Are Strange and Riders on the Storm. Love Me Two Times. I can't think of a lot of the titles anymore, but I love their music--with some exceptions, of course. Their keyboard player is incredible.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I know what you mean too, Anthony. Some of the stuff they did was over the top, too much. But a lot of it really resonates with me.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We're allowed to like different kinds of music, I hope:)

Why does it resonate with you so much, Leslie?

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael I used to be hooked on side one of Morrison Hotel for a while. (And I think the Peace Frog line of clothes is silly)

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I think what resonates with me is the angst, also the mystery. The music itself is great, then add the lyrics of a lot of the songs and I just love it.

I didn't know there was a Peace Frog line of clothes. Jim Morrison and his girlfriend Pam had a boutique at one time.

message 9: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Sorry, Leslie, but I never got Morrison's bloated, overwrought (big sarcastic tone of voice ) "poetry" at all."

This just in: rock and roll isn't poetry nor is it art. Roll over Jim Carroll and tell Patti Smith the news.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I luuuiirve the Doors.
mmmmm, leather pants.

And sweeter said, when I reminded him of the occasion: "who knew that someday his penis would be pardoned for the florida incident."
Uh, what?

message 11: by Félix (last edited Jul 04, 2011 07:17AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Yup. Who knew? I sure didn't care know.

Okay, so I came of age a bit earlier than most of you here. The Doors and their music were ubiquitous in that period. Background sound for my generation. Every local cover band struggled to perfect "Light My Fire." We drank, smoked, and screwed with impunity to that sound. That, and Cream, Hendrix, and Led Zepp.

And I really don't care what Clark might have to say about it. That's not a poke at Clark. I'm just saying it.

message 12: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Jul 04, 2011 02:30PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I like The Doors, preferring early Doors, before Jim got totally dissipated. I don't like L.A. Woman, Jim is totally wrecked, and I cringe listening to him struggle to sing.

I like People Are Strange, Love Her Madly, and Riders on the Storm. I think the lyrics in Light My Fire are pretty weak. Yes, fire rhymes with fire, yep...

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Riders on the Storm is one of my favorite all time songs.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't died. I know he was in Paris to escape the charges he was facing in Miami. It's interesting to speculate about what the their future and their music--if there was anymore--would have been.

Has anyone else read Ray Manzerek's or John Densmore's books. Interesting inside takes from totally different points of view.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Clark wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "Sorry, Leslie, but I never got Morrison's bloated, overwrought (big sarcastic tone of voice ) "poetry" at all."

This just in: rock and roll isn't poetry nor is it art. Roll..."

Yay! I was waiting for Clark to arrive.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I think some rock attains the level of art and poetry, just like some books attain the level of literature. Not all, not even most, but some do.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Larry wrote: "Yup. Who knew? I sure didn't care know.

Okay, so I came of age a bit earlier than most of you here. The Doors and their music were ubiquitous in that period. Background sound for my generation..."

I think I'm older than Clark but I don't know if I'm older than you or not. This isn't a poke at Clark or you or anyone but I think rock and roll lyrics are all about poetry. I don't know so much about lyrics now because I don't listen to much current music, but when I was young and in the 70's, yes.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I was young in the 70's too! I'm 49. I listen to oldies from the 60's and 70's. That's the music I love.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love it when KD weighs in.

KD + Clark = Rolling Stone for me.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

mmmmhmmm.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael King Dinösaur wrote: "Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night" is another great "trainwreck album"."

I think in this case they died before recording the album. I love Mellow My Mind.

Lonesome whistle on the railroad track ain't got nothing on those feelings that I had.

No one will ever convince me that Neil Young's lyrics aren't poetry.

message 22: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Bozo Dionysius is one of the best rock music essays ever written. I howl hysterically every time I read it.

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Robbie Krieger wrote a lot of The Door's hits.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I love both of them--so many good songs!

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Larry wrote: "And I really don't care what Clark might have to say about it. That's not a poke at Clark. I'm just saying it."

"Light My Fire" and "L.A. Woman"? Great! But I can't handle the rest too much.

message 26: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jul 07, 2011 05:09AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Michael wrote: "Larry wrote: "Yup. Who knew? I sure didn't care know.

Okay, so I came of age a bit earlier than most of you here. The Doors and their music were ubiquitous in that period. Background sound f..."

I guess for the most part, I don't listen to music for lyrics (there's a surprise, eh?) but rather for big, dumb noise and wacka-wacka guitar strumming that rocks out relentlessly with Dictators/Stooges/Ramones/Who/New York Dolls/MC5 fury. Check your cerebellum at the door.

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "But I have a fascination with "train wreck" albums, like the Stones' "Exile On Main Street" and Iggy & the Stooges' "Metallic K.O." I like records where you wonder if everybody died right after recording it."

What he said. One of my main regrets in life - besides not studying harder in college and attending that Chris Isaak show back in 1990 - was missing my ride with Jonesy down to the Michigan Palace the night they recorded the "Metallic K.O." album. Fucking A...

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Clark and I should start our own magazine. I'm sure it would be way cooler than the corporate fashion show that is now Rolling Stone."

They'd burn us at the stake, KD.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Garfunkel?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My older son's dad was a huge Doors fan. I loathe The Doors because of him.

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments That's understandable. It's easy to get turned off by something like that. I was turned off of the Stones for a long time because my ex used to taunt me with their songs.

message 32: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments Writing a romance novel, where my lead character is a given the Doors first record when she is young. It has an great impact on her life.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

The Doors were okay. Light My Fire is excellent. A lot of their music is so drug induced, it's like taking a trip.

I didn't like The Doors movie!

message 34: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments When you listen to the words and form your our meaning it's a trip.

If you have heard the song The End, Jim Morrison wrote it about leaving his girlfriend and his childhood. The End (song) can mean so much. The End of an era.

message 35: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments The movie was okay. They say it was wrong. The only thing the movie got right was the fact Jim Morrison was crazy.

Val Kilmer did a good job.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruth, I said a lot of their music affected me that way...like a drug trip. It's my own meaning for those songs.

The End is a beautiful song, surprisingly touching, and one I've loved for years.
Val Kilmer was excellent. I just thought the movie went on a bit too long. Meg Ryan was good, too. Yeah, I heard people say it wasn't factual. Who knows? He was crazy or crazy from drug use?

message 37: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments This is what I think from what I can relate to. It was his parents that made him crazy. Saying that they want him to be who they wanted. So when he got the freedom away from his controlling parents he did not know what to do he went crazy with freedom.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd have to agree. He was pressured by his parents. Instant fame can be very dangerous, especially since he rebelled against his parents.

He did lead a very interesting life. Had lots of sex. With many women.

message 39: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 11 comments You know what surprises me, he never had any children will all the sex he had.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe he does have a love child somewhere? Could be.

The End by The Doors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIMCC_...

Interview with Jim's father and sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz63-q...