The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Dickens Project - Archives > The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club - Chapters 24-26

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) | 1483 comments Mod
Here's the folder for Part 9 of the group read and discussion of Charles Dickens' novel, The Pickwick Papers. Enjoy!

message 2: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4445 comments Mod
Who Hoo. Only 1 chapter to read for me. I can focus on catching up with Jane.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Story is really warming up. It's really funny in places.

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana | 21 comments It is :) I read it before bed, makes me feel good, I smile, I laugh :) I really wasn't expecting to feel so close to Pickwick and Sam :)
I enjoyed how he put Jingle and Trotter in their places, but I guess they deserved something a little more harsh...

message 5: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

I liked them getting back at Jingle and Trotter too, but just fell in love with the yellow hair papers scene.

message 6: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Yes, it is a delightful exposition of the manners of the time - how a gentleman being caught in his nightcap was beyond the pale, ditto a lady in her hair papers. It also reminds me of the times when I used to see my grandmother putting curl papers, or rags, in her hair. I liked Sam's remark at the end of the tale that: 'You rayther want somebody to look arter you, Sir, when your judgment goes out a wisitin'.' :)

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments hmm, i thought we were reading chapters 27 and 28 this week? has the reading schedule been changed?

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments i don't know if this has been asked already, but can someone explain the term "gammon". it seems to be used frequently by sam, but i'm not sure that i understand what he means. i looked it up and it said something about ham which didn't really make sense to me.

message 9: by MadgeUK (last edited Jul 06, 2011 01:28AM) (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Gammon in the sense that Sam and the Pickwickians use it means 'humbug, deception, to pretend, hoax or deceive'. It is now more commonly used to describe ham or bacon or as an abbreviation of the game backgammon.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've let myself get so behind with this as I am currently studying for an exam. But that is on Friday so I'm hoping to catch up! Although I am planning on re-reading all of the Harry Potter books before I see the film next Friday (I have very differing literature tastes!)

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments thanks for the info, Madge. that word was really bugging me. :P

message 12: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

Robin P | 2028 comments Mod
Kristen is right that we should now be on the next chapters, below is the schedule Chris originally posted. So I have to go read them! I really like breaking this up into the serialized segments as it gives me time for other reading, although I'm afraid to do the calculation of how many years it will take to get through all of Dickens at this rate!

Chapters 24-26 June 26-July 2
Chapters 27-28 July 3-9
Chapters 29-31 July 10-16

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments Robin wrote: "I really like breaking this up into the serialized segments as it gives me time for other reading, although I'm afraid to do the calculation of how many years it will take to get through all of Dickens at this rate!"

i know! i was thinking about this just the other day. i was adding all the dickens novels to my tbr, and i was thinking this may be the most long term commitment to a goal i've ever made. haha. i didn't think this section was very interesting. wondering what the next novel will be like. in the past i haven't cared much for dickens. but i'm giving him a chance. we'll see.

message 14: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments My favorite part of this section was Pickwick telling Mr. Magnus how to propose. I must admit for a man who has never been married, it is quite a romantic and practical proposal all at the same time. ;)

For those reading JE, what a difference between Pickwick's version of a proper proposal and St. John's proposal to Jane!

message 15: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments @ Kristen and Robin - we are one week off. For those who went by the original schedule and are therefore ahead, just means they can take a week off from Pickwick. :-)

message 16: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments MadgeUK wrote: "I liked Sam's remark at the end of the tale that: 'You rayther want somebody to look arter you, Sir, when your judgment goes out a wisitin'.' :) "

I loved that line too! Pickwick and company are intelligent, but have zero common sense.

Thank goodness, Sam is around to at least watch over Pickwick.

message 17: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Heather wrote: "I've let myself get so behind with this as I am currently studying for an exam. But that is on Friday so I'm hoping to catch up! Although I am planning on re-reading all of the Harry Potter books b..."

I have a varied reading list as well. :-) I love YA Fantasy novels. And can't wait to see the last HP film...although it will be sad to see it finished. I was bummed when I finished the books.

message 18: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Diana wrote: "It is :) I read it before bed, makes me feel good, I smile, I laugh :) I really wasn't expecting to feel so close to Pickwick and Sam :)
I enjoyed how he put Jingle and Trotter in their places, but..."

I think they deserved something more harsh too. But that leaves it open for them to return and cause more mischief. What will Jingle and Trotter do next??? :-)

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne | 89 comments Lynnm wrote: "@ Kristen and Robin - we are one week off. For those who went by the original schedule and are therefore ahead, just means they can take a week off from Pickwick. :-)"

I'm glad they got off by a week somewhere- it gave me a chance to get caught up. I have really been enjoying this book so far. Every section has made me laugh out loud at least once, so I decided this might not be the best book to read during lunch breaks at work.

message 20: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Anne wrote: "Lynnm wrote: "@ Kristen and Robin - we are one week off. For those who went by the original schedule and are therefore ahead, just means they can take a week off from Pickwick. :-)"

I'm glad the..."

I'm glad too Anne. I've been behind as well. Now, am caught up with this group. Need to catch up with a couple of others.

message 21: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments No new thread for Part 4????

message 22: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

I don't know if anyone else is still reading Pickwick but the next few chapters take place at Christmas and you can see a clear link to Christmas Carol.

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana | 21 comments I noticed that! And the story about the vampire, no spoilers here, but it comes up soon :), seemed to me that it screamed "A Christmas Carol".

message 24: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments Robin wrote: "I don't know if anyone else is still reading Pickwick but the next few chapters take place at Christmas and you can see a clear link to Christmas Carol."

I noticed that as well. It is exciting to see future Dickens novels in some of these short tales.

And yes, I'm still reading Dickens. I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't more discussion. :-( Dickens is one of my favorite authors.

message 25: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

I've been disappointed in our discussion too on Pickwick. I loved the Christmas scenes. Definitely saw a Christmas Carol too. Pickwicians may not have much common sense but they sure know how to celebrate just about anything.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments I'll admit the reading pace is a bit too slow for me. I'm starting to lose interest a little. I wish we could speed up the schedule instead of going slower :P

message 27: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

I'm fine with the pace as I am always reading other things. I originally thought I would do the longer books that this group works on, but I just have too many other things I want to read. The later Dickens works will probably have more meat for discussion.

message 28: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

I'm with Robin. The pace is working fine for me as I'm reading other things and trying to catch up in another group. I focused on catching up in this group first.

message 29: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

I sent Chris a message to request threads be posted for July 10-16 & 17-23 so we should have them soon.

message 30: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments This is the second week in a row that there is no new thread for the week.

Have the moderators given up on Pickwick? :-(

I haven't...I'll keep reading.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Is there anyone else who can put up the threads?

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments Vikz wrote: "Is there anyone else who can put up the threads?"

I took the liberty of posting the new threads. I hope that's ok with everyone. :P

This is for chapters 27-28
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 33: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 140 comments And here's the thread for chapters 29-31
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 34: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

Thank you Kristen!

message 35: by Lauri (new)

Lauri | 32 comments I recently joined this group attracted by the read of Jane Eyre and this amazing Dickens project. I am working hard to catch up to all of you and then would definitely like to join in the discussions. I am up to chapter 12 and should be caught up by the weekend. So far I am finding the read delightful. Some of the slapstick humor reminds me of P.G. Wodehouse (my author of choice when I need a "happy" break). I wonder if Wodehouse was influenced by Dickens - picking up the humorous aspects and honing them into his own fine craft? I love the precise dialogue and ridiculous situations - especially when you as the reader know this situation is going to go way wrong, but the characters are clueless. I'll have to look into that...

message 36: by Robin P, Moderator (new)

Lauri wrote: "I recently joined this group attracted by the read of Jane Eyre and this amazing Dickens project. I am working hard to catch up to all of you and then would definitely like to join in the discussi…
Great to have you Lauri, I actually think it's fine that there's a smaller group at the moment, some of the groups have hundreds or thousands of members, in which case is it really a group? Good point about Wodehouse, I think some recent authors in that vein are David Lodge (mostly academic satires) & Armistead Maupin ("Tales of the City"}