Amazon Kindle discussion

How quickly things change!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 46 comments Why aren't you reading as much on it? Does it have something to do with the Kindle? Or a lack of time? Are you just not reading as much in general?

message 2: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Why would you rather read on your iphone? I don't know that much about iphones.

message 3: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 11 comments I have the Kindle app on iPhone and a Kindle and much prefer the Kindle to the Kindle app on iPhone and the desktop Kindle.

Perhaps explore a new genre outside your normal reading interest? That might rekindle, pardon the pun, your interest :)

message 4: by Mirela (new)

Mirela (anenomeluv) You can always sell your Kindle to a relative, on Ebay or on Craigslist. Trust me they go fast! And you will probably get at least 50% if not a lot more for it.

message 5: by Betsy (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:12AM) (new)

Betsy I also have a Kindle as well as the Kindle app on my phone. The phone app is great for when I'm away from home with unexpected wait time, but for extended reading, give me my Kindle every time.

However, my niece was telling me just a few days ago that she prefers to read on her phone. She has adult ADD (probably), and she says trying to read on a Kindle or iPad or computer, or even a book, she finds her focus constantly skipping around the page. With the small screen on the phone, she has much less trouble concentrating. Interesting!

message 6: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments I love my Kindle! I have the app for the computer and my iPhone and I use them only when I forgot my kindle and I can't read too long... I love Kindle's screen and I could read for hours. I think I am probably reading more now that I have it than before. I would never give it up... But that is just me! :)

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments i read faster on my kindle and kobo units.

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments I love my Kindle also and have the app on my iphone but the iphone is too small for me.

message 9: by Joe (new)

Joe Stamber | 15 comments Why would anyone want to read a book on their phone? Especially if they have a Kindle? How bizarre!

message 10: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments Joe that is bizarre but you have people that read on their phone but it takes forever. I do like the way the Kindle and the phonesyncs together. Also some people can't aford a Kindle but have a Iphone etc.

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe Stamber | 15 comments Shirley wrote: "Joe that is bizarre but you have people that read on their phone but it takes forever. I do like the way the Kindle and the phonesyncs together. Also some people can't aford a Kindle but have a I..."
Fair comment Shirley. I do use my phone as an mp3 player and camera, but to me the screen is a bit small for viewing pages. My step daughter surfs the web on her iPhone when she has a laptop sat next to her. I must be getting old !

message 12: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments Joe, I use my phone as an mp3 player but have a separate camera, you are right the screen is too small. Also I can't even surf the web on my iphone because I can't make the pages bigger. lol I rather have my laptop anyday, I guess because I am getting old and can't see. lol

message 13: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Kind of reminds me of the small calculators we used to use. I have one in my purse that is perfect for shopping, but I remember in the 70's they kept making them smaller and smaller. Everyone I knew wanted the credit card size flat calculator. I haven't seen too many of those around anymore.

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I have no problem reading on my phone, but it's kind of big -- the screen is 4" diagonal. I still prefer my K1 or K3 for extended reading, but the phone is fine.

message 15: by Colin (new)

Colin Taber I use the Kindle apps too.

They'll do for now; I'll shift across to a proper reader on my next trip where it'll be a luggage/space saving godsend.

message 16: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 71 comments Everything takes some getting use to. I was the same way. Then I forced myself to use it and now I can't get enough.
Elle
Ellelapraim.com

message 17: by Helen (new)

Helen I couldn't be bothered reading on my phone, give me a proper sized screen any day.

message 18: by Gill (new)

Gill (lockwdg) | 49 comments Don't read often on my phone but I do find it useful for when I am sat in the car waiting to pick my son up from work at 10pm. There is not enough light for Kindle unless I use the book light and the phone is much more convenient in this case.

message 19: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (clare-dragonfly) Karen B, nobody except students and scientists has calculators anymore, I don't think ;) There are good enough calculators on our phones.

message 20: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I think my first calculator cost more than my current phone.

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen If my head can't calculate it, I'd use my phone too.

message 22: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) It would take me longer to go to my phone and bring up the calculator than to just use the one I carry.

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen Carry 2 gadgets, not me! I like as light a bag as possible.

message 24: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I have so much I have to carry, that I probably should carry a suitcase! I try to empty the things out that I don't need but always find that there is still a lot that I do need. My little calculator weighs next to nothing. My phone is heavier. I don't carry my Kindle with me all the time, but when I do it's only a matter of making sure that I have a purse that is wide enough to fit it in. Thank goodness it is so lightweight. I have a few meds I need to carry but try to take as few as I need. But the biggest (as in most weighty) thing I carry is my wallet and it's not because it's full of money! I hate getting coin change mainly because it weighs so much! If it's pennies, I always leave them at the cash register for someone who needs a penny. That's been beneficial because at this same store I have had the cashier hand me 5 cents, so that I don't have to break another bill.

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen I always carry my mobile, purse (coins & notes), card wallet (debit card, coffee cards etc), keys, bus pass. Then it depends on where I'm going. Work- kindle, marking, planning, memory stick, lunch. Shopping- ipod, shopping bag.

I never carry something I won't need and try not to carry things that are just a possible need eg brolly. Comes from walking everwhere.

message 26: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I've pretty much stopped carrying a purse altogether. I hate them; they just accumulate junk. I carry a wallet with a shoulder strap, and my phone in my pocket.

message 27: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments I like my big purse. I have all kinds of goodies in it... I tried small purses, but my walet and my kindle dont fit into those, so I dont mind big purses...

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I vastly prefer reading on my Kindle, but I'm also paranoid about damaging the e-ink screen, so it gets mollycoddled and stays home in the safety of my nightstand drawer except on very rare occasions. When I'm out of the house, I make do with the Kindle app on my iPhone, and it's not too bad. I don't think I'd like it if it was all I had to read on, but if I know I can switch back to the Kindle as soon as I get home, the iPhone is just fine. It's also great for late-night outdoor reading sessions with a glass of wine before bed!

message 29: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments I read all my e stuff on my iPod Touch, but I think the screen is bigger than on iPhones. And it's skinny (it's the new 4th gen one) so I can take it everywhere.

Stephen Livingston | 47 comments I've had my Kindle for three months now and I'm still very happy with it.

message 31: by Helen (new)

Helen I love mine too.

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_wy) my Kindle has turned me into a read-aholic, more than I already was. my friend called me a book whore!

message 33: by Alex (new)

Alex I looooooove my kindle, I'm onto my third book on it and I've only had it a week. That's alongside reading paperbacks! I feel like I'm going to spend a lot of money though - when I buy a paperback I spend a lot longer browsing and consider the purchase really carefully, on kindle I just click and it's mine!

message 34: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 29 comments Melissa wrote: "my Kindle has turned me into a read-aholic, more than I already was. my friend called me a book whore!"

lol! I am the same way. Had it since August last year and I constantly read. I have it in my purse at all time, so whenever I find a minute or 2 i read a page or two. :)

message 35: by Patricia (last edited Jul 18, 2011 08:02AM) (new)

Patricia (misspeppermint) | 7 comments Joe wrote: "Why would anyone want to read a book on their phone? Especially if they have a Kindle? How bizarre!"

I used to think the same thing until last week when my step-daughter and I got stuck at the Dentist office waiting for her appt! Then I remembered we could download the app for our phones. Trust me, I was much happier 5 minutes later when I was instantly lost in my book and tuning out The Golden Girls... Who would have thought that we would have needed to bring our Kindles to the Dentist?
I no longer think it strange - I think it very, very handy :) !

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire Chilton (clairechilton) Patricia wrote: "Joe wrote: "Why would anyone want to read a book on their phone? Especially if they have a Kindle? How bizarre!"

I used to think the same thing until last week when my step-daughter and I got stuc..."

I have to agree, I love that I can read books anytime anywhere now. Lunch breaks aren't as dull, neither is waiting to see the doctor or dentist :)

message 37: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) But that's why I carry my Kindle in my purse. My phone screen probably wouldn't show the text large enough for me to read.

message 38: by Joe (new)

Joe Stamber | 15 comments I tend to take my Kindle, or a book, with me anywhere where I think I may end up waiting. Unless, of course, my missus is with me... then she expects me to talk to her lol!

message 39: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 55 comments Got my Kindle at Christmas and still loving it. I did download the free Kindle app onto my ipod touch - just not the same as reading a book, which is what the Kindle is like.

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (misspeppermint) | 7 comments I would love to bring my Kindle with me but I already have a purse and a diaper bag and I honestly can not see myself putting one more thing in there... I just can't bring myself to do it. I am constantly trying to keep as much stuff as humanly possible OUT of what I have to lug around.
When the kids are wash & wear, I totally foresee my Kindle going with me ;) ahhhhh.... what a life that will be!

message 41: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments Loving my Kindle -- especially with its comfy leather case :)

message 42: by Helen (new)

Helen Ahh, those were the days - nappys, wipes, tissues...

message 43: by Scott (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 117 comments We recently had our Kindle at the beach--sand wasn't a problem, and I saw others there. Great to see people enjoying a new convenience in reading.

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (misspeppermint) | 7 comments Scott wrote: "We recently had our Kindle at the beach--sand wasn't a problem, and I saw others there. Great to see people enjoying a new convenience in reading."

When we recently went to Sedona that was practically all I saw people reading, were Kindles! It was very neat to see!

message 45: by Elle (last edited Aug 12, 2011 03:21PM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) My kindle comes everywhere with me in my bag so I always read on it. I find that the kindle app on my iPhone drains it too quickly along with my music and camera always being used.

PS: It sure beats the old habit of bringing a bulky and heavy book everywhere. I am reading a Medical History textbook at the minute in paper format and I'm cursing the publishers for not having a Kindle version. ITS HUGE.

message 46: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments Not so good for making notes, though. It's handy to be able to scribble bits in the margins of textbooks.

message 47: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) I actually like the highlight and quote feature though! and I normally take notes on a totally different sheet of paper so it hasn't really affected that.

message 48: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Elizabeth wrote: "My apologies for starting this thread...I didn't mean to start any arguments. I also didn't think I'd be called names for reading on my iPhone!"

Elizabeth: Although I didn't post on this thread, I did read all comments. In my opinion, I didn't see any arguments and I don't think anyone was calling you names (unless they were sending you private messages). It just seems like people were having varying opinions. No apologies necessary!! :)

message 49: by Andrea (Drea) (new)

Andrea (Drea) (msdre711) Hey Elizabeth - I have both a kindle and the kindle app and I have to say that once I got the app for my phone, I only read from there and ended up not using my kindle. My mom loves to read books too so I ended up giving it to her so that we can enjoy books (any books that we buy, we can both read).

I think I like my kindle on my phone better because I carry my phone everywhere, whereas my regular kindle did not go with me everywhere. I also read on my phone when my hubby watches tv and he has all the lights off. Oh yea, I can also hide my phone at work a lot better with my phone lol.

message 50: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (BlondeBookAddict) | 4 comments i have the opposite problem. having my kindle has caused me to read much more. i often dont have time to make it a book store, so its awesome that i can download multiple books at once. i have an amazing case for my kindle so it doesnt get messed up when i toss it in my purse, but its still light weight so i dont really even realize its there. i carry it practically everywhere with me, except school. i love it, and i find myself reading from it whenever i have spare time to kill.

« previous 1