Teen's Utopian Society ~ bookclub discussion

TUS Archives > Happy Hunger Games - HUNGER GAMES

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by *TheWrittenWord*Mo, The Believer (new)

*TheWrittenWord*Mo (thewrittenwordmo) | 848 comments Mod
What's your take on the event called 'The Hunger Games'?? Do you agree with it, disagree, find it horrific or can you see the entertainment side of things??

Let's hear it.

message 2: by Lauren, The Dreamer (new)

Lauren (lauren-sky) | 513 comments Mod
DEFINITELY disagree to it. Definitely, definitely, definitely.

message 3: by *TheWrittenWord*Mo, The Believer (new)

Same here lauren, it freaked me out, took a while for me to realise it was serious and that teens were actually DEAD! yeesh :O

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I adore this book...the event itself is horrible. 23 teens each year die. Loved ones will never see them again and they had to watch the death on their own tv. It makes sense to me though. I wasn;t freaked out. I'm fine with death. But just seeing the loss, despair in these people...wow. Sorry I'm getting carried away.

message 5: by Lauren, The Dreamer (new)

Lauren (lauren-sky) | 513 comments Mod
Thumbs up for Michaela's opinion. Plus, even the CHILDREN have to watch their peers getting beheaded, stabbed, murdered, drowned, gassed...etc... You get the picture.

message 6: by *TheWrittenWord*Mo, The Believer (new)

Ugh I still can't believe the citizens were forced to watch it! It's just so sad, i feel like crying everytime i think of the hunger games. So it's good to know no-one likes them either. :/

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly  (in-interest) | 215 comments Seeing these topics make me feel like I need to read the series. I'm so behind. How many books are there in the series?

message 8: by *TheWrittenWord*Mo, The Believer (new)

Hunger games? just 3, but they are kinda thick :)

message 9: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 15 comments The Hunger Games is one of my favorite series'. The whole concept of kids having to kill kids in a arena of sorts once a year is disturbing, of course, but the books make the reader feel so much emotion on so many different levels that it is hard not to fall in love with the series. Is it scary? Yeah. But it is fiction.

message 10: by Melanie (last edited Aug 20, 2011 04:23PM) (new)

Melanie | 8 comments ( SPOILER ALERT)i cant take watching ANYONE kill each other, must they really be so cruel, the only good deaths might have been snow and coin's!!!

message 11: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 8 comments Lauren wrote: "Thumbs up for Michaela's opinion. Plus, even the CHILDREN have to watch their peers getting beheaded, stabbed, murdered, drowned, gassed...etc... You get the picture."

same here

message 12: by Nikkie (new)

Nikkie (LimitlessNikkie) | 57 comments While I understand the reasoning behind it, the hunger games were a very effective way to control a population by showing them they couldn't even protect their young but I found it barbaric. The simple fact that the population was made to celebrate the forced murder of is citizens was deeply disturbing.
No I don't agree with their reasoning or methods, I'd like to think I'd find a more humane way of running a population but I understand it.

message 13: by Stephanie (last edited Aug 25, 2011 07:45AM) (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-geerald) I can enjoy the book knowing that it's fiction and is made based on the author's imagination though if the hunger games really do exist outside Collins fantasy then ... well, my first thought is that I don't want to be anywhere near the districts because oh lord god i want to do so much more in my life (HEHEHE, an egocentric right here and now).

However, if i was an individual living at Capitol, I reckon I would have a mixed feeling about the game because well it sounded like a very interesting thing to watch. IF AND ONLY IF, the people involved in the competition does not really die (though I guess that will lessen the thrill of the game???) I would definetely want this game to actually exist in real life (hm, im a little scared of myself now). On the other hand ... the game is not at all ethical. Dilemma, dillema.