Listomania discussion

Famous People's Lists > John Waters' Favorite Books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (last edited Jul 03, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 144 comments Mod
John Waters favorite books. From http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/b...

In Youth Is Pleasure by Denton Welch
The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead
Two Serious Ladiesby Jane Bowles
Darkness and Day by Ivy Compton-Burnett
We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

message 2: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 17 comments This is an interesting one. I've not heard of any of these books or even authors. And the only review of Darkness and Day on here is 1 star and reads "It was like reading the bible... while drunk." This may not be the right response, but I'm so intrigued now.

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

I can attest to the strange, unique, excellence of Two Serious Ladies. The only other one on here I've heard of is "We Need to Talk About Kevin", but it's also the one that intrigues me the least, given the plot description. I'm really looking forward to the Welch and Stead books. And yes the Bible/drunk comment was intriguing too.

message 4: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 17 comments Hmm, yes. Kevin just sounds too early-00s topical, like Vernon Little God, which I rather hated.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4 comments Jimmy, In Youth is Pleasure is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. It is an absolute magic pastry, the deepest, simmering, inaudible humanity, awkward, served in desert form, lighter than air. It's fucking nimble. It was too good to review.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4 comments In Youth is Pleasure is also a favorite of Michael Silverblatt, America's greatest living reader and host of the above radio show, Bookworm, from which this list of Waters' was culled. Silverblatt on Welch: "my favorite unknown writer." Of the Waters list (which is officially entitled John Waters' Five Books You Should Read to Lead a Happy Life If Something Is Basically the Matter With You) Silverblatt says the following: "four out of the five are my favorite books . . . they are among the perfect books, the perfectly lunatic books, the special books, the books that only real readers know." Waters published a non-fiction collection about his favorite books, music, etc., called Role Models. He mentions other books there, though I haven't read it. He also says, "Oprah has made book lists a middle class phenomenon."

message 7: by Jimmy (new)

Yes, I listened to that show, and have listened to many Bookworm shows. Silverblatt is wonderful, and I always take his recommendations seriously. I'm really excited about IYIP and hope to read it soon.

Alan, I'm very happy to see you back on Goodreads; I don't remember much activity from you lately. I'm always looking forward to what you have to say about books.

message 8: by Alan (last edited Jul 06, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Alan | 4 comments Johnathan Franzen also loves The Man Who Loved Children. Take that or leave that. I haven't read it, kind of dislike him, and do think his description is most compelling: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/boo...

message 9: by Jimmy (new)

More John Waters picks: http://www.strandbooks.com/john-water...

message 10: by Polstar (new)

Polstar If you read
Role Models he outlines the reasons why he recommends these books - they're all bonkers of course - I'm going to hunt them out!

message 11: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 7 comments We Need To Talk About Kevin is also a movie featuring a terrific performance by Tilda Swinton.