The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Rory Book Discussions > The God of Small Things

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for choosing this book for the Rory discussion group. I had planned to read it after looking through an old copy of the New Yorker and seeing an ad for the book. (It also allows me to read a book set in a foreign country for the Around the World in 80 Books challenge and my local library's summer contest). So that's three birds, baby.

message 2: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Hi Patricia. We'll be discussing this book in August so look out for it. :)

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Roth I must say that I am really not enjoying this book so far. Since it took me a week to read two chapters, I'm not feeling very motivated to continue. So I ask: does it get better?

message 4: by Soad (new)

Soad (jumping_crickets) yes it does get better!!!!!! dont stop reading

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1 comments When does the discussion start?

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Dee | 6 comments Good question! Has everyone finished it yet?

***SPOILERS BELOW***

It came under my category of books that were very well written, but that I didn't necessarily enjoy reading. I am glad I read it though and the insight into the cast system was really interesting.

Some of the scenes made for uncomfortable reading, and I think this was both due to the subject matter and her excellent writing - which made the action a bit more up close than you wanted to get to it. The scene with the man from the cinema, for example, and the incestuous scene when the two-egg twins meet up as adults were particularly unpleasant.

For most of the book, I just felt sorry for the twins and this came to a head when you saw the aunt's true colours towards the end of the book. You knew she was nasty, but making the twins lie about their friend to save her own skin... I think that's what really messed them up.

So a good book, but really miserable. I tend to prefer things with a bit more cheer!

What did you all think?

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Stefan | 5 comments Hi Melissa,
I finished the book last week - it's my first time actually finishing one of these books in the month I'm supposed to...I have to start reading these earlier in the month!
Anyway, I had a hard time getting through this book. There was so much pain and suffering and no characters you could really walk alongside. I thought the adult characters were so awful to each other that I didn't really care about them, and the twins were so wrapped up in each other that I had a hard time relating to them. I agree that the author can write beautifully, but it wasn't enough for me in this book.

message 8: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Apart from me being in a reading rut, I think it took me so long to finish this book (almost 2 months?) because it's just so stressful. It seems like everyone is either oppressive or being oppressed. The language is fascinating and very playful, but in some parts it became a little too much and I just wanted Roy to say things in a straightforward way, without too much flowery language and repetition. I feel so bad for the twins, for their mom, and Velutha. It was a no-win situation for them.

I'm glad I read the book, though. Back in college this book was used in a multiculturalism class that I didn't get the chance to take, and it seemed everybody in my year but me was reading it. It certainly has a lot to say about ethnicity, class, politics, the caste system, religion and gender discrimination.