The History Book Club discussion

A Visit from the Goon Squad
This topic is about A Visit from the Goon Squad
ARCHIVE > A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited May 07, 2017 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bentley | 44200 comments Mod
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan by Jennifer Egan Jennifer Egan

This book seems to be pushed on everybody at goodreads on the home page. So for those of you who would like to discuss this book here is a spot.

Make sure to use the spoiler html because this is a single buddy read discussion.

Discussion begins August 1st.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Bennie is an aging former punk rocker and record executive. Sasha is the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Here Jennifer Egan brilliantly reveals their pasts, along with the inner lives of a host of other characters whose paths intersect with theirs. With music pulsing on every page, A Visit from the Goon Squad is a startling, exhilarating novel of self-destruction and redemption.

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan – review

Marcel Proust and The Sopranos serve as the unlikely inspirations for this ambitious study of time and relationships

From the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/...

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jul 05, 2011 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

This is a video interview with Egan. Egan gets to explain quite a bit and the genesis of the book itself and its construction. Also, some discussion on the aspect of news and the internet and its affect on the news industry. Actually a pretty good interview.

Adam Curry's Big App Show for iPhone

http://www.mevio.com/episode/281270/a...

From Time Video:

Watch: Jennifer Egan on Her Pulitzer Prize-Winning Novel

http://www.time.com/time/video/player...

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer...

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

For those of you out there who would like to join in; we are going to read this week: Part A - Chapter One: Found Objects.

Make sure to use the spoiler html when commenting.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 04, 2011 04:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Epigrams:

“Poets claim that we recapture for a moment the self that we were long ago when we enter some house or garden in which we used to live in our youth. But these are most hazardous pilgrimages, which end as often in disappointment as in success. It is in ourselves that we should rather seek to find those fixed places, contemporaneous with different years.”

“The unknown element in the lives of other people is like that of nature, which each fresh scientific discovery merely reduces but does not abolish.” —Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Source of location of quote: Egan, Jennifer (2010-06-03). A Visit from the Goon Squad (Kindle Locations 28-32). Anchor. Kindle Edition.

I am not putting this in spoiler html because these quotes are from Proust.

But why do you think that the author uses these particular quotes to begin her book's journey and what do these quotes mean to you?

Is it that we can never go back to misspent time and youth or is it that the times and places that we all hold dear in our hearts are there forever and for keeps. We will always cherish the memories of our youth and the people who we have loved and are no longer with us and/or we still cherish every day. I think for me I carry these people and places in my heart every day.

Since I have not yet started reading the book; I wondered what other folks might be thinking about these epigrams and quotes and what Egan symbolized by including them?

Why such a connection to Proust?

In Search of Lost Time (Remembrance of Things Past) Proust 6-pack (Proust Complete) by Marcel Proust Marcel Proust Marcel Proust

Since this thread and discussion are about the Egan book; we do not have to cite that book in each and every post.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Remember the following:

Everyone is welcome but make sure to use the goodreads spoiler function.

If you come to the discussion after folks have finished reading it, please feel free to post your comments as we will always come back to the thread to discuss the book.

The rules

You must follow the rules of the History Book Club and also:

First rule of Buddy Read,
Respect other people's opinions, no matter how controversial you think they may be.

Second rule of Buddy Read,
Always, always Chapter/page mark and spoiler alert your posts if you are discussing parts of the book.

To do these spoilers, follows these easy steps;

Step 1. enclose the word spoiler in forward and back arrows; < >

Step 2. write your spoiler comments in

Step 3. enclose the word /spoiler in arrows as above, BUT NOTE the forward slash in front of the word. You must put that forward slash in.

Your spoiler should appear like this;
(view spoiler)

Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

And please mark your spoiler clearly like this;

State a Chapter and page if you can.
EG: Chapter 24, page 154

Or say Up to Chapter *___ (*insert chapter number) if your comment is more broad and not from a single chapter.

Examples of spoiler;
Chapter 24 pg 367

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part A - Chapter One - Found Objects

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 05, 2011 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

What were your thoughts about Sasha, Alex and Coz. Do you feel that the characters are well developed?

Why was Sasha concerned when she thought the following:

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Barbara (last edited Aug 05, 2011 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (barbarasc) | 12 comments I've never used the spoiler function before, so I'm going to try it now. If it doesn't work, I'll delete this post.

Well, I just posted a spoiler and I used what I thought was the "spoiler feature" < at the beginning, and > at the end, but I was able to see everything I wrote (unless the person who posts a spoiler doesn't have to view it in the spoiler format, which may mean that it would have appeared to everyone else as a spoiler, except me.) I don't know why it didn't work, but I deleted everything I wrote about Sasha, Coz, and Alex because I didn't want to spoil anything for readers who haven't finished chapter one yet.

Any suggestions on a better way to create a spoiler???

message 11: by John (new)

John Petroshius (johnnychicago) | 13 comments how about this: (remove the *'s when you write your code)

*<*spoiler*>* This is the text to hide*<*/*spoiler*>*

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 06, 2011 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara, I think John gave you some good pointers. The spoiler html is the same as if you would be bolding text, putting it into italics or underlining. The only difference is that you type the word spoiler and do not put in a b or an i or a u.

So before the text you are putting in; you have to put in a < followed by the word spoiler which is followed by another > then comes all of the text you want to add; once you have typed in all of the text then you simply put in another < followed by a slash like this / then the word spoiler is typed out and you place another closing bracket at the end like this >

I hope this helps. There are also directions in message 6 which shows you how to do it and how it should look.

Thank you John for your effort as well.

Bentley

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

I really wondered what this quote said about Sasha and her paralysis in life and about living.

(view spoiler)

Egan, Jennifer (2010-06-03). A Visit from the Goon Squad (Kindle Locations 222-224). Anchor. Kindle Edition.

message 14: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Folks we are moving on to Chapter Two. And Barbara, I would still be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the characters.

Barbara (barbarasc) | 12 comments Hi Bentley and John,

Thank you to both of you for explaining how to use the spoiler feature!! I apologize for taking so long to come back here -- I've been working on a deadline for my work, so the past week or two have been a bit crazy.

I know we're moving on to Chapter Two, but I'll just write a few quick thoughts on the characters in Chapter One.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great comments Barbara and thank you.

As far as Sasha:

(view spoiler)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 12 comments Hi Bentley,

(view spoiler)

Have you read the entire book yet? This is not a spoiler -- I can tell you that you will learn a lot more about Sasha as the book goes on.

Are we the only two people participating in the discussion of A Visit from the Goon Squad???

I know that you're the leader of this group, and there are always so many great discussions going on here, so there's no need to discuss this book alone with me, with so much else going on!! If you want to read the book and would like someone to discuss it with, I would be happy to, but it's really not necessary to do this just for me. I liked the book a lot, (but I did not "love" it) and I do think there are plenty of things to say about it, but I've recently started a new job and my mind has been elsewhere.

I don't know what a "Buddy Read" is. Is there supposed to be just two of us??? This was such a popular book -- I would think more people would join in on the discussion!!

Thanks Bentley!! Again, if you are still reading and would like to continue here, please let me know!!!

message 18: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

No Barbara, I am still reading it. So let us discuss away.

Barbara (barbarasc) | 12 comments Great!! Which chapter are you up to? And how are you liking the book so far?

I didn't bring the book with me to my office today (which is the only place I can get online, because I can't get a wi-fi connection from my home) so I will bring it along tomorrow and make some comments on Chapter Two. (Or which ever chapters you would like to discuss.) Do you have any thoughts you want to share about Chapter Two? What do you think of Bennie??

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Aug 23, 2011 06:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara, my take so far:

Chapter Two:

(view spoiler)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 12 comments More on Chapter Two and the "great" reviews the book has received....

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Barbara:

(view spoiler)

Barbara (barbarasc) | 12 comments Hi Bentley! Sorry I've been out of touch for so long. I've had back to back deadlines at work.

Have you finishedA Visit from the Goon Squad??

If you haven't finished it, please let me know what chapter you're on, and we can discuss the book up to that point (if you would like to.) It's difficult to discuss it on a "one chapter at a time" basis, because as you get further into the story, so much more interesting information is revealed about the characters that are in the first few chapters.

THANKS BENTLEY!!!

message 24: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Sep 16, 2011 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hi Barbara, a bit behind but I will let you know. I actually feel that she treats the book like a collection of short stories so I think it lends itself to that kind of discussion. But then again.

Since this is a thread discussion about the book you mentioned in your message 23, we do not have to mention the title of the book again and cite it like we do on all of our other non discussion threads.

But if you want to cite it; it should be book cover, author's photo and author's link - like what follows:

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan by Jennifer Egan Jennifer Egan

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Nov 04, 2011 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished it

(view spoiler)

Maureen (meg9000) | 45 comments Just came across this discussion when looking for something else. I just finished this book last month as part of my 2015 TBR shelf-clearing challenge. I bought it when it came out for the Goodreads Group read with the author, but I was really busy then with something and didn't care for the book, so never finished it. So I put it on my challenge this year and tackled it early to get it done.

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Agree with you Maureen. (smile)