Challenge Your Reading! discussion

Challenges 2011 > July Theme Read- Death

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 533 comments Mod
Read a book about death, zombies rising from the dead to a book about the loss of a loved one all count! Also with this month try to read at least 2 of this books.

message 2: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) Look at that, my current book fits the theme perfectly. Probability Angels by Joseph Devon . Really good so far :-)

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

I finished Xenocide last night, the title translates to something like Murder of an Alien race, but unlike the books before it in the series it wasn't that good.

and I started Before I Dielast night and finished it at 12:49 in the morning. It was really good but I probably spent a good 100 pages crying my eyes out.

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

How is everyone else liking there "Death" books? I just finished my 3rd When I Was Five I Killed Myself and I have to say I hated it.

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

I finished Breathe My Namewhich was okay, it is about a girl whose mother killed her 3 younger sisters and then tried to kill her.

I've started on my 5th "death" book The Farming of Bones which so far has talked about the deaths of the main characters parents and 2 characters have died.

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

I finished The Farming of Bones which ended up being about a genocide and it was an okay book.

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

Okay I finished my 6th death book Death Be Not Proud it's a memoir written by a father whose son dies of cancer and honestly it was not that well done. They tried to make him sound perfect and mature, but they would tell him nothing about his disease.

message 8: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) I feel behind. I've been in a reading slump lately. I think it was caused by reading too dense of books lately. To fix it I picked up Spirit Bound at the library and am cruising through it. Hope to finish this and Last Sacrifice and Probability Angels by the end of the month. All death related.

message 9: by Caitlin (new)

Jex wrote: "I feel behind. I've been in a reading slump lately. I think it was caused by reading too dense of books lately. To fix it I picked up Spirit Bound at the library and am cruising thro..."

Don't worry I think we all get in to those, I just got in (and I'm hopeful getting out of) a slump of 1 or 2 star books.

I'm reading an advance readers edition of:
Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel It's about zombies and so far pretty good.

message 10: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) If you like zombie books I highly recommend Cell by Stephen King. Maybe help you get out of that slump of bad books :-P

message 11: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) Finished Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead tonight. Can you say Cliffhanger? I put a library hold out for the last book in the series...hope it gets here soon!

message 12: by Caitlin (last edited Jul 16, 2011 08:57AM) (new)

Jex wrote: "If you like zombie books I highly recommend Cell by Stephen King. Maybe help you get out of that slump of bad books :-P"

Actually that was my first Zombie book so we will see what I think of the rest of them. And I'll check it out.Yeah the Vampire Academy books had a lot of cliff-hangers, did you hear about the off shoot series? The first book is Bloodlines.

I finished Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel and Annexedwhich is from Peter's point of view ( the Diary of Anne Frank for his POV and after being taken) which honestly wasn't that good.

message 13: by Starr (new)

Starr I just finished Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris. It is about a woman who, after being struck by lightning as a child, is able to locate dead people and determine exactly how they died. I liked the book enough that I started the second one in the series, Grave Surprise.
I don't know if these count for the reading challenge
because they are a mystery also, but they are pretty good.

I read The Cell by Stephen King awhile back. I liked the book except for the ending. I felt like it just left you hanging.

message 14: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) I finally finished Probability Angels. A book about those that give up eternity to help push mankind forward and create greatness. This group of people, or testers, make the choice to continue working after their loved ones are gone, but there are some that just give up and stop pushing humanity. They wither into nothingness and become zombie-esque as they are no longer gaining the energy off of pushing humans that they are required to get to live. Instead they turn into a new creature that must feed off the energy of other testers. So what happens if one of those that gave up suddenly gets strong again? This book will tell you. I highly recommend it although its a bit of a dense read. I definitely had to take it slowly, but maybe that's just me.

message 15: by Caitlin (new)

Starr wrote: "I just finished Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris. It is about a woman who, after being struck by lightning as a child, is able to locate dead people and determine exactly how they died. I liked the ..."

I'd count them they are about the dead.

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

I finished another death book last Monday called Getting Near to Baby which is about 2 young girls (and their family) dealing with the death of their baby sister.