Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > Demon books and mythology

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Hi everyone,
I just joined and this is my first post.

With vampires, there is a lot of history that shapes the story. Vampires are immortal, they drink people's blood, and if they don't kill a victim, that victim becomes a vampire. They can't tolerate sunlight, and they can only be killed by having a wooden stake driven through their heart. Not every story uses all of these things, but there’s an accepted mythology there.

Is the same true of demons? Is there some accepted history or mythology or do writers just invent their own characteristics?

Can anyone recommend some good books where a human woman and demon man fall in love? Thank you.

message 2: by Jessica `~Blahyze~` (last edited Jul 03, 2011 08:01AM) (new)

Jessica  `~Blahyze~` The only series I can think of right now is Eve Silver's Otherkin Trilogy. I read these a while back and liked them. If I am remembering correctly the women are human but they are daughters of Aset who are to also protect humans and the men are demon/soul reapers.
Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver Sins of the Soul (Otherkin, #2) by Eve Silver Sins of the Flesh (Otherkin, #3) by Eve Silver Body of Sin (Otherkin, #4) by Eve Silver

message 3: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments I don't know if there are "rule" that are followed about demons or not--I think that there are some basics but that authors tend to create their own demon universes. Here are some demon PNR series that I've read:

An EXCELLENT series about demons is Demonica, by Larissa Ione. The whole series is about demons.
Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica, #4) by Larissa Ione Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione

Another EXCELLENT series in which warriors are the keepers of demons is Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter.
It's a long series, so I'll just give you the first book here: The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole are all about demons. They're part of the EXCELLENT series by Kresley Cole, Immortals After Dark. The first book is A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole .

The Nightwalkers by Jacquelyn Frank is a good series about a demon race.
Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2) by Jacquelyn Frank Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3) by Jacquelyn Frank Damien (Nightwalkers, #4) by Jacquelyn Frank Noah (Nightwalkers, #5) by Jacquelyn Frank Adam (Nightwalkers, #6) by Jacquelyn Frank

Two fun books are:
Every Demon Has His Day (Demon, #1) by Cara Lockwood Can't Teach an Old Demon New Tricks (Demon, #2) by Cara Lockwood

That's all I can think of at the moment. Happy reading!

message 4: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Kresley Cole has plenty of demons (good & bad0, but very little mythology. The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon has demons & shifters & others and lots of mythology. It has the Greek gods invovled in the story throughout most of the books. The main character is Acheron and his mother is Apolymi. Artemis, Hades, Cupid, Zeus, Apollo, and a bunch of others are in the books.

message 5: by Vidya (new)

Vidya (vidyasamson) | 82 comments Thanks a lot, everyone. I’m now reading the reviews of all these to see which I want to read first. I’m thinking I’ll start off with the Demonica series; they have the most positive reviews and it sounds like those really build a good demon world.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments Hi, This is the other Lisa.

Demonica, is probably the best PNR with demon mythology,followed by the Immortals After Dark, Kresley Cole. The Nightkeepers (Final Prophecy) series by Jessica Andersen is about the 2012 Mayan Apocalypse and it also has all the Mayan Demon mythology. It is a bit of a more complicated read, good but a lot of world building. Finally the Guardians by Meljean Brook also has fallen angels and demons based on the Bible and Milton's Paradise Lost interpretations. Also good but again complex world building.

message 8: by Sandra "Jeanz" (new)

Sandra "Jeanz" Dakota Cassidy "Kiss and Hell" really good chick lit type of book as well as fantasy.

message 9: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M (lamessegee) | 248 comments There's a thread on angels & demons at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Jessica `~Blahyze~` wrote: "The only series I can think of right now is Eve Silver's Otherkin Trilogy..."

I'm reading this series now and really enjoying it. It is quite different because it is based mainly on Egyptian mythology and demonology rather than Greek and Roman, which seems to be the most popular.