You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Karin's Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (last edited Oct 12, 2011 08:31AM) (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 13 comments Month 1: Rocket Boys Also titled October Sky (title of the movie based on the book). Found this while looking for October and thought it was interesting, shame it's not the original title but I hope it's ok.

Month 2: The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4) I've been curious about this series, good way to give it a try I think!

Month 3: Catch Me If You Can This was already on my TBR list, no idea it was originally published in my YOB!

Month 4: Het achterhuis: Dagboekbrieven 14 juni 1942-1 augustus 1944 Anne Frank's book, also been on my TBR list for too long

Month 5: (Norway) Sophie's World I tried reading this in Dutch some time ago, did enjoy it but never got very far. Time to try it in English.

Month 6: Chick-lit - Something Blue , started and finished September 2011. I wanted to give Emily Giffin a try but wasn't really sure about the order, I thought her books where a series and Something Blue was the first, wrong twice, as it's Something Borrowed first and Something Blue second and the other books are not related (though I could even be wrong about that!). So I read them out of order, oh well, let's just say I had a unique perspective. ;-)

Month 7: The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation - Elizabeth Berg - This was a tricky one. My first name (without going into different spelling) is shared by just a few authors who write thrillers, not my genre at all. My full last name is shared by even less authors. So I ditched the 'tussenvoegsels' as those little in between words are called here and that left Berg. This author has written quite a few novels, this is something different and it seems funny, which I like.

Month 8: The Language of Flowers

Month 9: Catch-22 I asked for this book for Christmas in 2002, I have a pic of me holding it up in that year's Christmas scrapbook and I still have to turn to the first page. Time to get going!

Month 10: Homer's Odyssey started July 4, finished July 6

Month 11: Reread On The Edge by Richard Hammond, whom I admire for getting through the crash and subsequent brain damage, from July 6 to July 16, All By My Selves: Walter, Peanut, Achmed, and Me by Jeff Dunham, whose ventroloquism is so amazing you forget his dummies aren't really doing the talking, and has created some really good and funny characters, from July 17 to August 1

Month 12: The Color Purple Read from July 17 to July 26

Bonus: Snippets: Mostly True Tales from the Lighter Side of Scrapbooking my favorite hobby, though photography runs a close second. Also from my TBR list. The Secret Language of Knitters, I'm actually a crocheter (since this year) but a lot of this stuff applies to both.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49944 comments I loved the movie "October Sky". I think this book is a great choice for the first challenge.

message 3: by Amber (last edited Jul 11, 2011 05:13PM) (new)

Amber The Color Purple is a fantastic book. I hope you enjoy it!

message 4: by Karin (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 13 comments Judy wrote: "Oooo, Karin, what did you think of Homer's Odyssey? (It's on my challenge list, too.)"

I haven't put up my review yet but I really liked it. I've never had a cat (though I am very seriously considering it in the near future) but I have always liked cats and this story is just very touching, well written, the writing is quite funny and witty and it really made me want to keep on reading and know what else would happen. Highly recommended.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 13 comments Amber wrote: "The Color Purple is a fantastic book. I hope you enjoy it!"

Thanks! It's one of those books that I've always wondered about, just never really made it to my to-read list till now.

message 6: by Marteen (new)

Marteen (marteenf) | 10 comments I finished The Color Purple not too long ago, was on my tbr list forever, loved every bit of it!

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 13 comments Ok, so it's still July and I've done 2 1/2 months (one biography is a reread so I'm doing two biographies instead of one) of the challenge already. Is that bad? ;-)

The Color Purple really hit me inside. I watched the movie today after finishing the book yesterday and once again I was glad to have read the book first, though the movie really isn't bad it felt rushed and didn't give enough of the story for me.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49944 comments Hmmmm - if you finish this challenge quickly, are we going to have to come up with an extra side challenge for you? LOL!

message 9: by Marteen (new)

Marteen (marteenf) | 10 comments Ive never seen the film version of The Colour Purple, everyone keeps telling me I must.

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 13 comments Ok so I've compensated for my speed by staying away for a while and only reading one book that fits in the list. LOL. Will be adding one from this list to my TBR again to get back on track.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I would not recommend reading Artemis Fowl out of order. At least read the first one before moving on to #4.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 13 comments Thanks Cheryl! I'll take your advice on that one.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.