British Horror discussion

Ebook Joy

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just reviewed Ill At Ease (here) by fellow group members Mark West, Stephen Bacon and Neil Williams and as well as being a bloody good read, it also demonstrates how epublishing can bring advantages in this type of cohesive collection. I would be interested in others views on the pros and cons of ebooks.

message 2: by James (new)

James Everington | 20 comments I think your example demonstrates the pros quite nicely: a way for short stories to reach a wider audience than read short story magazines & a way to publish small collections as a sampler for the writers involved.

But I'm probably biased...!

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark And it's a great review, thanks Colin, we all appreciate it - we tried to be as professional as we could and I think it's worked!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

So could you have done this using the traditional publishing route Mark?

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark I doubt it, Colin and, to be honest, the whole thought of setting up both the printing and the infrastructure for distribution would have put me right off - I like the writing and I don't mind the marketing, but setting up a press would be a nightmare.

So you're right, this would have only really worked this way.

message 6: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) I'm an advocate of ebooks; they've given my career a massive shot in the arm in the past year and allowed me to reach a new audience.

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 5 comments I'm all in favour of e-books. Apart from anything else, there is a killer length for a story - between a short story and a novel - that has almost no chance of getting picked up by a conventional publisher. Now that the days of the great horror and science fiction magazines has long-since passed, even H.P.Lovecraft would have had a lot of trouble finding an outlet these days. Except for e-books.