Young Adult Readers<3 discussion

Favorite Genres?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) Even though this is a pretty small group, we do have monthly reads. The more we participate and read the same book, the more fun the group'll be. So let's talk about our favorite genres. :D Maybe we can even plan our monthly reads around the genres that more people like so we can have lively talks about it.

My favorite genre is ultimately fantasy. I've been expanding more of my reading - genre wise - just because I feel like I should be more in tuned to the world of books in general. But fantasy always wins my heart. Not paranormal fantasy, mind you, but old time fantasy with witches, wizards, and dragons.

message 2: by Laurna (last edited Jul 03, 2011 03:20AM) (new)

Laurna   (laurna) | 16 comments Mu favorite genres are: fantasy,psychological,mystery,crime,romance & manga!!

message 3: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) I like psychology too. I mean, books that get me to think about -drumroll- LIFE.
Have you ever read 1984? It's a great book to psychoanalyze. :D

message 4: by Aditi (new)

Aditi (paranormalperfection) | 2 comments I love fantasy, its an amazing genre, so magical. I love romance too, mystery, crime, and adventure. One of my favorite books is Twilight and let me make it very clear that i have nothing against Harry Potter, I think they're both wonderful books :D I'm currently reading Afterlife (the last book in the Evernight series) Its a vampire book. Oh, and i also love Vampires ;)

message 5: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) Fantasy's my favorite because you can do so much with it. The possible ideas are pretty much endless.

I'm really picky about romance, but I find a book a little boring if there isn't a love interest in it. For me, romance has to make sense. And the main characters can't do anything stupid just because they're in love. That's the most annoying part.

I like Harry Potter too. Probably one of my favorite series. The Mortal Instruments, the Infernal Devices, and the Hunger Games are the series I most enjoy.

message 6: by Aditi (new)

Aditi (paranormalperfection) | 2 comments I love the Hunger Games too. And I totally agree with you about fantasy. There are endless possibilities, and all of them are fantastic and intriguing. I haven't read the Mortal Instruments before but i'm definitely going to.

message 7: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) OMG READ IT. IT'S SO GOOD. <3
I wasn't going to read it at first because there was a half naked guy on the cover and I thought to myself, "Oh, it's one of those books." Looking back on it, I can't believe I was even debating about reading it or not.
If you like some old time fantasy, you should try Howl's Moving Castle. It's brilliant. I watched the movie first and then read the book, but I love both. (:

message 8: by Laurna (new)

Laurna   (laurna) | 16 comments Trixie wrote: "I like psychology too. I mean, books that get me to think about -drumroll- LIFE.
Have you ever read 1984? It's a great book to psychoanalyze. :D"

Nope!:(...but if you say that it's really good then I'll have to read it!!:)

message 9: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) George Orwell write a lot of books like that, I believe. I read his other novel, Animal Farm, and it's a good psychology book, too. It's sorta based more on politics though. Still, a pretty good read.

message 10: by Bethany (last edited Jul 06, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Bethany My favorite is definitely epic fantasy. But, I love sci-fi, paranormal romances, dystopian and I really like just reg. Real world fiction. My fav books/series are... Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta Cassandra Clare The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis ...just to name a couple.

Aditi, definitely read The Mortal Instruments! And howl's moving castle is great too.

I love harry potter. I've actually only read the last two books, I really fell in love with the movies. I came onto reading late :/

message 11: by Beatrix (new)

Beatrix (smiley_omnomnom) Bethany. You must read the whole HP series. It's not even suffice to read through the series just once, haha. The movies are a bad representation of the books, though. They cut out quite a bit. But still, I'm excited for part 2 of the last book. :D