TV We've Just Watched discussion

Reality TV > Hoarders on A&E

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments Come clean and admit that you enjoy watching Hoarders on A&E!

It inspires you to clean your own house.
You feel instantly relieved that you aren't that dysfunctional.
Once you start watching, you can't stop--it's like a bad accident!

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments I just finished watching the season premiere, and it was vintage Hoarders! Doll surgery and no plumbing in the house--that was some crazy *&@#!

Didn't it seem odd that both ladies had some kind of nurse/heath care profession background? You would think they would know how unhealthy their living environments were.

I've always thought that some of these people do this to their houses/lives because they subconciously want to be left alone. Especially in the episodes where it says that the husband is going to divorce the hoarder if she doesn't clean up, I think the hoarder secretly wants that bad man out of her life!

Sometimes, I think that the adult children who complain that they can't live with the hoarder any more need to back off and get their own space! Maybe there should be another show called Freeloaders.

message 3: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments What are your favorite or most memorable episodes of Hoarders?

First of all, I really like Dr. Zazio (therapist) and Gerralyn (organizer), but Matt Paxton (clean up crew) is my favorite because he's funny and direct. I remember one time when he put someone's granny panties on over his pants!

There was one episode where a man had a homeless guy squatting on his property and the homeless guy was helping with the clean up. If a homeless guy thinks your place is too messy, you've got a serious problem!

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments I watched it for the first couple seasons, but I quit because it was too sensational and they really don't give enough explanation of what is going on with the hoarder. It is a very deep pyschological thing. Hoarders brains work differently in the decision making parts of the brain for one thing.

If the show were more educational, then people would be better able to understand what is happening instead of believing that hoarders really WANT to live that way. Or care more about stuff than their families. It appears that way but it is really very different in their minds.

The good thing these shows do is make people aware of the problem and TALK about it. Secrecy and shame are big problems for the hoarder. It's not a matter of cleaning or getting rid of stuff. Those are symptoms not the problem. As people are educated and become more understanding and supportive maybe more hoarders will come and get help. But the thing is it is LONG term therapy because it is completely changing how one thinks and makes decisions.

The thing is too that after these major cleanups if the hoarder doesnt get help and start changing behaviors, it will repeat itself again and again. It is a very sad illness and very common.

Besides being a hoarder, I know several more in my community complex as well as social circle. As do most people.

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (sjhensley) | 928 comments It was cancelled by A&E but repeats are now available on Netflix.