Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Kindle DX

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (simaholicmom) Trying to talk hubby into upgrading me into the DX. I love the large size. If anyone has one, please let me know what you think.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee | 3 comments Catherine, I've had a DX for a couple of years now and love it! I use it exclusively to read at home and enjoy the larger screen (which lets me use a larger font than I would on my K3). It's much too bulky to throw in your purse, but for that I have my K3. Couldn't live without either one of them.

message 3: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I love my DX as well, especially when I'm too lazy to do the conversion on a PDF. I keep my DX at home as well, leave it in the bedroom, and carry my K1 and K3 out (depends on what book I'm reading).

message 4: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett I got a first gen DX when they were first introduced. At the time, I loved it. Since then, I got an iPad, while not as good for reading as the DX, the screen size is the same. So I've been thinking about downgrading to the regular Kindle on their next refresh. Using the iPad when I want a bigger screen and the regular Kindle for normal reading.

You will notice the increased weight of the DX. You won't be holding it, it will sit on your lap. Not a big deal, it is just different. It certainly doesn't weigh as much as an iPad, but you will lose a little bit of that comfort in exchange for the increased size. It will be like switching from a paperback book to a hard cover book.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jacabur1) Catherine wrote: "Trying to talk hubby into upgrading me into the DX. I love the large size. If anyone has one, please let me know what you think."

Kindle DX user since bought one new end of March 2011, would never consider using a regular Kindle because the Trade/Hardback book size screen of the DX is fantastic to me... I love the ease of transferring PDF files as well as others onto the reader from my Calibre account and more importantly the fact that when I read with the case the Kindle can be stood up on the side of my recliner to take the weight off my lap and then held one handed and use the other hand to click page advances...

My only bug has been if I leave it on too long and it goes to sleep it has a tendency to be contrary and has frozen up several times and when turned back on gone to zero files uploaded and scared me into thinking all of my onboard books were deleted.. They were not, just had to turn the machine back off and then back on and it reset with all my books and their respective file locations intact...

I am one who swore by reading "real" books, now in little over 3 months have almost 800 ebooks on the reader and have read almost 90 of them....

My advice, get the Kindle DX and enjoy it Catherine, you can go to a Staples store if you live in the States and look at it before you buy one too...

message 6: by Elie (last edited Jul 04, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Elie Harriett Jackie wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Trying to talk hubby into upgrading me into the DX. I love the large size. If anyone has one, please let me know what you think."

I did the same thing. So did my wife. All it took was a couple of weeks, and now except for books I buy for reference, I always wait to get the book as an ebook rather than buy a regular one. Amazing how fast we started giving preference to the Kindle

message 7: by Luna (new)

Luna Martin (fusedshadow) | 9 comments I've been wishing for a DX too. I didn't think about the pdf's fitting better and that would be a real benefit to me because I don't think the pdf's fit that well on the regular size Kindle even after conversion. It's just too expensive for me right now, though I'm thinking about passing on my Kindle 2G to my son and getting the 3G since the price has dropped. We use the Kindle a lot for his education, and I'm trying to get him to read more on his own.