Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Who likes Amanda Hocking?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 5 comments Hello all,
I write paranormal/fantasy, but I love paranormal romance. Whenever you think of this genre, you always think of Amanda Hocking. So I was wondering how many people here actually like here? Is she really the queen or are there better authors out there?
I don't know, so i thought I would ask you guys, i assume you are the experts.
I can't wait to hear what you have to say!
Elle
ellelapraim.com

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 31 comments I love her and have read the Trylle Trilogy and My Blood Approves series which I was crazy about. I'm reading Virtue right now. I can't wait for the 5th My Blood Approves book because I really love Jack & Alice.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber | 43 comments I like her! I've only read a couple of her books, but so far they've never disappointed me:)

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber | 43 comments Jennifer, you should read Hollowland it's amazing!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 31 comments Amber wrote: "Jennifer, you should read Hollowland it's amazing!"

I have it but I just have not had time to read it yet but I will definitely be reading it. I love all her stuff so far!

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I really like her work as well. I haven't read all of her books yet but I plan to. She is one of my favorite Indie (although not now!) authors.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 03, 2011 02:05AM) (new)

I've read the first book in both the My Blood Approves series and the Trylle Trilogy. I Thought My Blood Approves was better then Switched but I do plan to continue with both series and the Hollowland series as well. Althought I can't say I love her writing, I do like her and i'll see what happens from there :)

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 112 comments I am a HUGE Amanda Hocking fan - I can't say enough about her! The Trylle trilogy I finished in I think 2 days! I've only read the first in the My Blood Approves series, but I LOVED it! Hollowland is probably my favorite book right now - absolutely love that one - cannot wait for the sequel!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I didn't really care for her at all. I read the first and half of the second in the My Blood Approves books, and didn't like them at all. I was mildly interested in the one main vampire guy, but I just couldn't stand the "heroine". I thought she was stupid and self absorbed, and I hated the way she treated vampire guy (sorry names are escaping me) in the beginning of the second one, after she ASKED him to do what he did, was horrible.

Plus, I thought the editing, grammar, spelling and such needed a LOT of work, but I kind of looked past that, since it was a self pubbed work and was only .99.

I probably WILL check her out when she's published something, because My Blood Approves did intrigue me a bit, and if the girl had been more likable, I probably would have read a bit further.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (havily_fray) | 13 comments I have to agree with above, didn't like her at all. If she said "foxy" one more time, ugh. I thought the plot was lacking in the Trylle books and the main character was poorly developed. I'm not particularly picky in what I read, but I really thought these books were horrible. I can think of a lot of better authors in this category than her. Although the subject content was original and the story had promise, the rest was lacking too much to make them great books or her a great author.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I LOVE My Blood Approves. The books are so good. I think she's a great author. I'm with Jennifer, I adore Jack and Alice :)

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I really liked both series as well as hollowland. Is she the absolute best? I wouldn't say that but i find her work really enjoyable!

message 13: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments I think she is a good writer for the young adult population. I read her Trylle series, My Blood Approves, and Hollowland. I liked MBA and Hollowland but did not like the 3rd book of the Trylle series. Her books were quick, fast, interesting reads but I would not list her remotely close to any of my favorite authors. I think I read her whole MBA series in a weekend. While she is entertaining, the plots are pretty simplistic. Again - perfect for a Young Adult audience. I think I have trouble relating to stories with teen heroines. But I will say this - for the price, it is definitely worth it to buy her books. And I am looking forward to book 5 in MBA as well. Hollowland is my favorite book of hers.

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 3 comments I love amanda hocking! I jusy love the romance and twists and turns of her books. Ive read them all. I really dont know if i can choose a favorite series bc i love different things about each one. Cannot wait for the next installment of hollowland and my blood approves ;))

Jeanna-Has Probably Read It! (j3j3real) | 28 comments I loved the my blood approves series. I finished them very quickly.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 18 comments I stumbled upon the Trylle Trilogy by accident! I found Switched for $2.99 on the website I download ebooks for my Sony Reader. I was blown away...and reminded never to judge a book by its cover. Wendy's story really stayed with me after I was finished with all three books. Who knew a series about Trolls could be so endearing?! I think Amanda really did an awesome job showing Wendy's change in relationship from Finn to Lochie (sp??? I know that's not how you spell his name sorry!). We all have that first 'love' and some of us are lucky enough to find 'the one' who would do anything to see us safe and happy at any expense. I don't think there was a character in this series that I didn't like!

message 17: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Beth wrote: "I think Amanda really did an awesome job showing Wendy's change in relationship from Finn to Lochie (sp??? I know that's not how you spell his name sorry!). "

Really? I was bothered by it actually. I really liked Finn a lot so I felt kind of betrayed by the changeover.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 18 comments Lan-Dinh wrote: "Beth wrote: "I think Amanda really did an awesome job showing Wendy's change in relationship from Finn to Lochie (sp??? I know that's not how you spell his name sorry!). "

Really? I was bothered ..."

I guess I identified with her change of heart. I was a huge fan of Finn in the beginning, but I guess he reminded me of my first serious boyfriend and how he refused to give up any priority/duties to accommodate us as a couple. Relationships are about trust, and growth as a unit...and I didn't see Finn step up.

message 19: by shinfu (new)

shinfu | 8 comments I just started reading Hollowland.

message 20: by Martin (last edited Jul 26, 2011 05:16AM) (new)

Martin Sharlow | 9 comments I read the first three MBA and really liked them. I read the sample for Hollowland and it seemed pretty good.

I just recently bought her first book of the Trylle. Haven't had a chance to read it yet. It seems like I rarely have time to read these days, but over all I really like her.

I knew when she first put her books out last year that she was going to do really well.

message 21: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (truejourney) | 315 comments Hollowland is probably Amanda's BEST book so far. I love her work. The MBA series is my favorite because I am pretty much in love with Jack and Peter. I think Amanda did a great job creating her characters.

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina Rodriguez (christina316) Love her!! I've read every book of hers (except Virtue, which I will) and I love them all! The Trylle Trilogy is on my Top 10 List of favorite series!

message 23: by L-D (new)

L-D (lannie95) | 284 comments Beth wrote: "Lan-Dinh wrote: "Beth wrote: "I think Amanda really did an awesome job showing Wendy's change in relationship from Finn to Lochie (sp??? I know that's not how you spell his name sorry!). "

Really?..."

No - I agree that Finn didn't step up, but I was irritated that she wrote him that way. I am loyal usually to the first guy a heroine meets - kind of a finder's keepers :) Changeovers are hard on me!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hollowland (other topics)