Dancers for Life! discussion

Ballet/Pointe > injuries HELP

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alwaysforgive) | 22 comments I have been a pointe dancer for 3 years then this year I fractured 2 bones and broke another my doctor said I wouldn't be able to dance for a wile or maybe never again my heart was broken when I told my dance teacher she said she new I could still do it she says my feet are amazing and she wishes she had them (strange huh I thought that dancers feet were UGLY (from all the blisters and the beating you constantly give them)and I think she was the one who told me that) so now I have started dancing again but on my own having to work an rises and of course my ton-due considering where I hurt my foot so I haven't yet been able to go on pointe but I know I will soon but the problem was that in this time not only did I break my foot but I also moved from Nebraska to Oklahoma so now I have to find a new dance teacher I mean what teacher wants a student who may never be able to do pointe again though I really hope my doctor was wrong:( but I am young I'm only 14 so It's not impossible but as many dance related injuries as I have acquired over the years it a miracle that I can still dance.

Ok so to the question is between breaking my foot messing up my back and hip plus hurting my ankle in dance I have lost ALOT of flexibility over the years and can't seem to get it back any advice.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie I am 14; I just started a few months ago when I was 13. I haven't gotten any blisters or injuries or anything; it was basically a pre-pointe and simple; only once a week. I feel that I was restrained because the other two girls in my class couldn't do as much as me, and I want to push myself harder for the next recital.

Sorry I can't advise you because I am not very experienced lol. Best wishes!!!!!

message 3: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alwaysforgive) | 22 comments Oh that's fine but for you I would say to just keep trying I had the same problem that i could do more than the rest of my class when I was in pre pointe what I did was I practiced at home a really good thing to do on pointe is marching. Try to march on pointe while staying balanced and obviously going around the room on pointe. It helps to break in new pointe shoes it also helps you gain more balance. Once you have accomplished that try to do it without making a sound :) my dance teacher told me this and it really helps.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Thanks! I'm prob getting new pointe shoes in abt a month. They don't have good arches anymore

message 5: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alwaysforgive) | 22 comments that's how mine are because my feet are very flexible so they push over in my pointe shoes alot even if they aren't broken in yet

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 14 comments I get ingrown toenails very easily. Luckily the first time I got them I got onto them quickly as another girl in my class had the same prooblem and now I keep them back with a blacks file.

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alwaysforgive) | 22 comments ya that happens to me and they are very painful but I have never figured out what to do what do you do?

message 8: by Fiona (new)

Fiona | 14 comments I went to see the podiatrist and she cut the edge of the nail off. Then she gave me a file to keep the sides down.