flight paths discussion

About the Group > About the group

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) This discussion for info about the group.

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments I am not quite sure where to put this comment, other than start a new thread called panic attacks.

Last night I was especially eager to check in, as it was Aug 1 and HRO is finished her July in Paris and we have agreed to this date for some administrative tasks. I also had some exciting book news for a couple of friends,a review to write, and, well, do I need to add why I love GR and this group? And especially all the wonderful new people Im meeting...

What brought this all into sharp relief was the fact that for some reason last night I could not access the internet. If this has ever happened before, it's usually my fault, a loose connection or something. But I actually tried for two hours and could not reach you....
I stayed calm (didnt throw the computer out the window) but I was devestated to think I may have lost you all, and so frustrated not to be able to communicate.

I finally did the sensible thing and went to sleep and this morning, after a bit of dicking around, lo, I'm in. But this raises serious concerns for me. All my goodreads life is inside this box. I know you are all real and out there but it was OMG! just like being stranded on a desrt island.

This post is long enough, I am going to switch to the appropriate thread for last remark.

message 3: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Aug 02, 2011 08:53AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Kinkajou wrote: "Computers can be scary, frustrating and confusing. Add the internet and bingo, all kinds of opportunities for anxiety and panic. Ex. I'm writing this on my phone bc our company computer is down. ..."

Just finished writing you a book recommendation, and about to sign off when gmail informed me of your quick response. I feel so gratified and relieved...Thanks K

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I'm honestly not sure if I could live without internet. It's pretty much my whole life. I use it for everything. The only reason I really need to ever leave the house is to go to the supermarket...and I bet I could find a way around that if I really wanted to.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) P.S. My intent with this thread was somewhere for discussion about group particulars - purpose, rules, etc. The nuts & bolts stuff. But I think you covered that under the Welcome topic (which I intended as a cheery Hi-we-love-you-we're-so-glad-you're-here-have-a-cupcake-can-we-hug-you kinna thing). Anywhos, so maybe we need to change this title?

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "P.S. My intent with this thread was somewhere for discussion about group particulars - purpose, rules, etc. The nuts & bolts stuff. But I think you covered that under the Welcome topic (which I int..."

well I did start with a disclaimer. And I am still somewhat nervous, it did take a couple of tries to get on tonight. You are right, this belongs in the addiction thread or random thoughts, but I think its a good topic....
while I,m here, what is juchek? they keep wanting to urgently update something but I am not sure what.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Magdelanye wrote: "while I,m here, what is juchek? they keep wanting to urgently update something but I am not sure what."

According to google, juchek is BAD...a trojan virus thingy. Eeeeek! Do you have antivirus software?

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments yes avast. I keep telling juchek no but they wont go away. I am finding windows a bit obnoxious too. Last week my file edit bookmark toolbar disappeared and I have tried much to restore. I feel like rejected software has a malicious side :(

I am actually in the middle of writing you a reply to your message. I am looking for the thread where we discussed rating books, but there doesnt seem to be a rating books?

message 9: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Aug 02, 2011 09:34PM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) I'm not an IT expert so I can't help other than to tell you to run a full scan with your anti-virus and hopefully it will zap juchek and any other nasties.

Are you looking for these threads?
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

I'm heading towards bed. I'll check for more posts from you in the a.m. G'nite! :)

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments yes these are the ones. the first topic doesnt show on my discussion list. If you could, Just make the memory thread a subtopic. I did run a full avast scan yesterday and here it is again today.

Sweet dreams. I like your new question.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Magdelanye wrote: "I did run a full avast scan yesterday and here it is again today."

Sounds like you might need to take it to a Computer Doctor. :(

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments I want to take a computer course this fall.
But I am irritated not to have my bookmarks, and the toolbar. Might have to do with windows live.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Fixed the toolbar glitch with Firefox help, very good to have that back.
It seems like not much activity here.
I hope we can do our tidy up easily and then perhaps we will be ready to invite more participation.

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Jim said, back in November
This is a group where you don't have to choose books, vote in polls, compete for points, or even read a book. It's a place to free associate, ponder, and discuss books and reading without any deadlines... or something like that!

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Today I had the chance to come to this group but before writing anything i thought id check the membership. I think i mentioned that ive had a number of friend requests from sock puppets. Well imagine my surprise to find 7 very sketchy new members of flight paths. None of them had more than 3 books on their shelves, most had none. I was able to delete them.
what's that all about? What do they hope to gain?

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1226 comments Magdelanye--that's so odd! Maybe authors looking for new audiences? I'm always getting friend requests from authors who don't know me and clearly don't spend any time on GR (unless they're writers who don't read at all).

How long have we been meeting?

message 17: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2262 comments Not authors. Sock puppets. There was a big alert a about a slew of the spammers, many with a single link to some pharamacy
(I didnt follow the link)
I think we formed in 2011