Warhammer 40,000 Fiction discussion

Tales of the Heresy

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 35 comments I just picked this up along with False Gods (the second book in the Horus Heresy series). I was just wondering if the short stories in the book will contain spoilers for later books. I have already read the first and third books, going back now to read the second.

Anyone read the collection and think I should hold off for a while?

message 2: by Tim (last edited Jul 02, 2011 09:50PM) (new)

Tim | 29 comments I do know there are a small handful of short stories in there that are related in some way to a few of the previous books, but I can't remember any specifics. I think there are only one or two that are directly related to the previous books in enough of a way to constitute a spoiler (Dark Angels?), but am not sure.

Michael Alexander | 4 comments The first four books of the series, Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, and Flight of the Eisenstein are all pretty much direct sequels to one another. I'd recommend reading those before you start branching off.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 35 comments Tim, according to the book list in Thousand Sons, Tales of the Heresy seems to come chronologically after Mechanicum, so I think I'll wait until I read that book.

Thanks, Michael. I'll have to get Flight of the Eisenstein.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments Well I read Tales of Heresy...before I read any other heresy/warhammer book...there are some spoilers of sorts but you really don't get them until you read the other books.
Then again I hop around in there series whatever interests me, but if you really want to do them in order fallow Michael's advice. :)

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 35 comments Problem with reading the books in order is that unless I order them I just have to pick up whatever happens to be available at B&N when I stop by. I may must take a chance and read the several I already have, filling in the gaps at some later point.

Of course, I haven't been reading all the Gaunt's Ghosts in strict order and am still enjoying them quite a bit.

message 7: by Brian (last edited Jul 17, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

Brian I have read most of the Heresy in order. I skipped Descent of Angels and so far that did not effect the reading of Legion. From reading White Dwarf magazine I know the bare bones of the Heresy so I can use that when I have continuity issues and it has allowed for no spoilers.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Steve wrote: "Thanks, Michael. I'll have to get Flight of the Eisenstein."

Definitely don't skip that - it's one of the best in the series!

Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho (chevalierdulys) The Only one you should read out of order is Prospero Burns that should be read after Thousand sons.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 35 comments Months behind on my WH reading. Trying to get through several other books, including one I promised to review.

message 11: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 17 comments I have read, in this order,
Flight of the Eisenstein
Legion
Fulgrim

message 12: by David (new)

David (Viddax) | 20 comments If you truly want to enjoy the Horus Heresy as it unfolds upon a thousand paths, I would say hold off on the book. However, as you have the book now you can read it but don't be surprised if you are already aware of a few minor things, such as details about Imperial organisations.

The first four books: 'Horus Rising', 'False Gods', 'Galaxy in Flames' and 'Flight of the Eisenstein' deserve to be read in order. Otherwise you may end up with Horus falling to chaos while wondering who on earth the Luna Wolves are and why they're so special.

(Currently moving through the Horus Heresy books, up to 'Descent of Angles' so far.)