What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > horror story - girl drowns in ocean; boy sees her ghost in nightmares and in the pool he is a lifeguard at; pool drain and green stuff or seaweed

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kymberlee (new)

Kymberlee | 6 comments A teenage(?) male goes on vacation with his family. He meets a girl on the beach. They frolic or whatever, but she drowns. He goes back home. He has nightmares of the event... The next summer(?) he either swims at a pool or is a lifeguard at a pool. He sees her in the water, and I think at the end of the story she comes out of the drain and pulls him in and he drowns. I think there was seaweed and a smell of the sea involved.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 248 comments Could it be this?
The Lifeguard by Richie Tankersley Cusick

This sounds like one of those YA horror books written in the early to mid 1990s. Do you know when it was published or when you read it?

message 3: by Kymberlee (new)

Kymberlee | 6 comments I'm pretty sure I read it between 2000 and 2004. I was in 5-8th grade.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Kymberlee, are you still looking for this book?

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Kymberlee was last active some time in July (what is it with July? Lots of people were "last active in July, 20xx". Is that a good month to drop out of GR or something?) Er, um, sorry about that.

I sent her a PM. If she doesn't respond in a reasonable time, then this should be sent down to Abandoned

message 6: by Kymberlee (new)

Kymberlee | 6 comments Yes, I'm still searching for the title.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Excellent Kymberlee. Every month or so, type "bump" as a new comment to keep this thread active. That way more people will see it. Also, add any additional details that come to mind.

Miss.Always.Reading.Books (missilovereadingbooks) | 51 comments Could the book be The Surfer by Linda Cargill?

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The Surfer for the click for Liyana's book.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Kymberlee, still looking? Was it The Surfer?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.

message 12: by Kymberlee (new)

Kymberlee | 6 comments It's not. I didn't ever get a notification for the previous comment.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great - moving back to Unsolved then.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Did you rule out both "The Lifeguard" and "The Surfer"?

message 15: by Kymberlee (new)

Kymberlee | 6 comments Yep. It was neither. I've been searching on my own but still coming up blank.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Kymberlee, do you remember WHY she was haunting him? If you are worried about spoilers, this is the one group on GR that actively encourages spoilers, since often times that is what gets the book found. If you are still worried, click on the Some HTML is OK link at the top right corner of the conversation box and it will show you how to "hide" your spoilers. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Kymberlee (new)

Kymberlee | 6 comments No. it's been about fifteen years since I read the book or story and I really don't remember much.

I remember he was in vacation with his family. He met a girl. They swam in the ocean. She drowned. He went back home. He was a lifeguard (and maybe just starting to drive?) at a local pool. Weird things start going down in the pool, and she's essentially haunting him. I think it took place in the eighties, but I may be wrong.

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33270 comments Mod
Kymberlee, is this a novel - or one of many short stories in a single book?

A few guesses:
Blackwater by Eve Bunting?
No Swimming in Dark Pond and other chilling tales by Judith Gorog?

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking now?