The Shack The Shack discussion

book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Has any one read this book ? I was interested and then I think it got stupid. Let me know if its worth finishing.

message 2: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy I read it and liked it, gave a different view of how God looks-reminds me of Aunt Jemima (the surup lady). I liked how the guy had to think things thru and even argued at times with the 'three' while on his visit to the cabin. It was sad to start but got you thinking..ending also left you with thougths about yourself and the hereafter. At least it did for me.

Charles the writing is terrible, but then, so is the writing in most mass market bestsellers, so take that or leave it. it was not really written to be an enthralling, page turning thriller of a book. the reason it is presented the way it is (in my opinion) is that the discussion of god that it contains would hardly fit in one of those more traditional self-help-style christian books on theology. least of all from the author, who is hardly a theologian, and is not even a pastor.

it's worth finishing, if you're a christian, or you ever were. it's worth reading if you have been through a life changing tragedy and you dont feel like you got yourself through it via some humanistic yanking of your own boot laces.

message 4: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Sorry Charles, I disagree with you. I know there are lots of books, mass produced in all. This book "I" feel gets you thinking about the God, Jesus and Holy Spirit. It also has you feeling like you are there with this guy as you can feel his pain and understand his fear. I am a Believer in Christ, I have not had any life changing trageties beyond the norm of family passings. It was not written to be a self help or theology book. I believe the author just wants us to think about our life here today, and what will happen once we die. It's not hard to read, or grasp this idea unless you are trying to be a critic and negative. This author didn't claim to be a theologian or pastor, he is just sharing to get the reader to think about life and the hereafter- Jesus said we will each stand before God to be judged for what we've done or not done here on earth. This book is one that gets you thinking about such things. So you may feel the book is terrible, but that's your opinion and this is mine. Sorry you don't get the jest of what IS really a good read.

Charles i think you have misunderstood my post. im not being critical at all. im saying the book is saying stuff that the average church-goer or even person questioning the legitimacy of evolutionary darwinism should think about. i was saying it had to be written in this form, because the author isnt graham cooke, and as such if he said "this is how it is" no one would have listened.

message 6: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Ok so what is "the writing is terrible", suspose to mean.. as you previously wrote. As this last comment you've made is more in line with you liking the book.
I think the author here is wanting and expressing himself well enough. He has gotten people to do this...to think about the hereafer and the now. My oppinion is he did a good job. Sure he was not inspired by God,he has kept you reading and got you thinking...so he has hit the mark, in my opinion.

Charles i did like it. see this is something people dont seem to understand. you can like a book that's written by a five year old and hate one written by a trained novelist. the writing was bad, but the book is good, right? another couple revisions, or a year spent in workshops and it could have been impressively worded, as impressively as it was thought out, easily. in my opinion, anyway

message 8: by Joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy Charles, I think the author wrote this not to be immpresively worded, as he was not writting it for fame or for those who need such to be impressed. I really think he was trying to reach the people who need to hear the truth of the gosple in simple words that are clear to understand- for that is how Jesus had also expressed himself to the people. I'm glad you agree the book is good, easy read.
I don't want debate this or argue this point with you OK, I was just wanting to make sure you undertand this book wasn't written to make 'points' in some book club. But the author did share thoughts on the hereafter and to be read and enjoyed as itt has to get you thinking. I think when he wrote this he was hoping that young and old would enjoy this, so he wrote it simple, I personally know of a 86 yr old lady who read this and enjoyed it- along with a 11 yr. old who also enjoyed it- Both have shared this book got them to think of their life here and what they are doing with it, how they will someday pass on and what will happen at that time. There are others I know who have also read this book and they also said it got them thinking about what is to come, and how they need to get their house in order...So I really think the author got his point across as he reached this variety of ages... this is only my opinion also.

message 9: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Just by reading these discussions on this book has made me want to go back and read it.

Julia Karen wrote: "Just by reading these discussions on this book has made me want to go back and read it."

Mmmm, you've got a point there!! I think there's no middle ground here .. you either like it or not, and either get it or not. :)

Shannon I really liked this book :) Yes, it was lame in some parts but it was good. There were some parts that made me shiver, some that made me cry and some that made me smile :)

I loved this book because I think that it brought me closer to God :) Now he is my top best friend :)

The language techniques used are sophisticated but I could still understand it :)

It also helped me to be nicer to my siblings because whenever I am about to be mean to them I just remember what happened to Missie.....

Shannon I loved the way that even though it was a fiction book, it seemed really real. It also made me really mad at the guy who.......Missie!!!!! I found it really sad :( I cried buckets in this book (I am really emotional, I cry at anything soppy, sad or happy).

Julia Shannon wrote: "I really liked this book :) Yes, it was lame in some parts but it was good. There were some parts that made me shiver, some that made me cry and some that made me smile :)

I loved this book becaus..."

Big :)

message 14: by Jessaka (new)

Jessaka It was interesting, and I can say I liked it, but I would never read it ever again. I thank Shannon is correct, It was lame in some parts.

Robin I think this is the best book I have read in a long, long time. It was easy to understand and really made you think about what happens after we die. I cried lots during this book but it was worth it in the end to feel what I felt and confirm what I believe to be true, that God does exist. Maybe the novel wasn't perfectly polished but I liked it just the same. It humanized him, made the author seem more like regular people, just like you and me.

message 16: by Larry (new) - rated it 1 star

Larry Andrews A simplistic treatment of significant issues. Our book club discussed it and was not impressed at all. But then, neither did they enjoy The Road.

Nancy Boone Karen wrote: "Has any one read this book ? I was interested and then I think it got stupid. Let me know if its worth finishing."

I found this book to be very rewarding. It caused alot of soul searching for me. I liked the unusual way that the Trinity was portrayed. It made an extremely difficult topic easier to wrap your mind around. Even if you don't think that God would portray himself as an african american woman.

hailee Shannon wrote: "I loved the way that even though it was a fiction book, it seemed really real. It also made me really mad at the guy who.......Missie!!!!! I found it really sad :( I cried buckets in this book (I a..."well cool and its a christian book so it probobly is good