English Mysteries Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Pre-August 2012 Revival > July 2011 - Frances Fyfield - Shadows on the Mirror

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Who is coming along for the ride on this month's book? Just wondering how many people are going to join us!

message 2: by Jdaniels (new)

Jdaniels | 5 comments I'll have to see if I can find it at the library. If so, then definitely!

message 3: by Lindig (new)

Lindig I love this author and read this book about 10 years ago. Sad to say, the library has no Fyfield at all. Grump.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 8 comments I'm in. This will be my first by Frances Fyfield.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's great to see so many folks coming along on this month's reading! Lindig - sorry your library didn't have a copy. Is it worth trying to see if they can get one through inter-libary loan in time for you to play along? Just an idea.

I just picked up my copy from the library over the weekend. It's the first time I've read Frances Fyfield as well, Jackie. Looks like we'll be in good company with others who know the book and the author! Should make for some good discussions at the end of July!

Anyone else out there reading this one?
~S~

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 8 comments I bought a used copy from abebooks.com.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 8 comments I finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I plan on reading more in the series.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

SO glad you started without me. Too much drama in life some months and then your internet connection conks out! I kept trying to remember to log-in from work on my lunch hour and then ended up working through lunch! :-)

Anywho - I enjoyed the book. I liked the characters, plot twists etc. That said - it seemed like I flew through it. This isn't a criticism per se...just an observation. I think I prefer a slow build to a fast burn and this felt like the latter.

Are other books in the series similar? Did anyone else feel that way or is it just me? If you've read others in the series like Anna, did this help to flesh out the back story? Let's get some good chatting going even if I'm WAY late. Sorry...I'm clearly still getting the hang of this moderator gig!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Is Helen West also a series by Francis Fyfield?

Thing is - I really did enjoy the book! I was just a bit surprised at how it flew by so quickly. I suppose in some ways I just prefer those English mysteries which build very slowly and which are written in a more complex way. That said - variety is no bad thing. I suppose that makes mine a somewhat mixed review.

message 10: by Lindig (new)

Lindig The Helen West series is what I've read by Fyfield and i think they have a slower build-up, so you might enjoy them more.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.