Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Malazan Book of the Fallen > Midnight Tides- Book 3 All That Lies Unseen Chapters 12-19

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Here we have Tehol furthering his grand plan even more. I have to admit that the first time I read this I missed a lot of the clues going on here.
I love this exchange:
"..the owners are delighted!"
"Don't I own those warehouses?"
"Aren't you delighted?"
"Well, you're right, I am. Everyone of me."
"that's what I told the royal engineer"

Meanwhile Brys is finding out disturbing facts about the 'disappearances'....
Stay Tuned!

message 2: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

We start to see a lot more about Bugg here too...he is managing to be in a lot of places at once, and seems to have some superhuman strenth as well...hmmm. When he gives Shurq the explanation of Forkrul Assail languages, and tells her he 'picked it up", I just about choked!

Anyone have any theories on him yet?

message 3: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I've finished the book, so now I know, but he definitely was not what I expected. I thought he may have been a historian hiding out with Tehol or perhaps a well-informed Malazan, maybe one that 'died' who was hiding out on this continent.

message 4: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

me too Amelia...I knew he had to be something 'other', but never guessed it at all!

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie What does everyone think about Eriksen's obvious portrayal of the Letherii as capitalists similar to the US? And that portrayal as negative?

message 6: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I guess I take it more like capitalism unbound....a really over the top version....lol. What with the debtor/slave system and all

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Maggie wrote: "I guess I take it more like capitalism unbound....a really over the top version....lol. What with the debtor/slave system and all"

I'd have to agree that it reflects an out of control version of capitalism. Makes one wonder when is enough enough!

message 8: by Amelia (last edited Jul 06, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Isn't capitalism every poor man's dream? The oppurtunity to get rich, no matter what you were born to be. (I wish I had Tehol with me helping me out.)

Seriously though, the system portrayed in the book is scary. You have a few who make it rich for a few years, but most are indebted for life and the debt passes on to your progeny. That's a crazy way to live.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie I really don't think that this the description of Capitalism that Eriksen portrays is actually Capitalism because of the debtor/slave system. But it is interesting to see something that could develop if we don't add a dose of morals and common sense to protect against something like slavery happening again!!

message 10: by Shelley (last edited Jul 08, 2011 05:40AM) (new)

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments It's a good example, at least for me, of SE going there! By showing us the worst that we can be, then giving us characters like Tehol, Bugg and Trull to show us the power that each of us bring to a situation. Yeah amazing writing!

message 11: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I have to say too that I think the scene where a bad thing happens to Seren was handled well. I hate when things like that are done badly. By emphasizing the emotional aspect of it makes a much more haunting story

message 12: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

I mean to mention the appearance of the Crimson Guard in this section...Iron Bars and Corlo show up to help out Seren....

The Crimson guard has been mentioned a few times, and only seen before when a squad of them was in Genebackis back in Gardens...

They are a very old enemy of former emperor Kellanved, and have a vendetta against him, and by extension, the Malazans. One of Esslemont's books, Return of the Crimson Guard, goes into more detail about why they do what they do, but suffise it to say, they are seriously bas-ass!

message 13: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Regarding the Crimson Guard: absolutely bad-ass. I was excited to see them show up in this book. I'm looking forward to reading the Esslemont books. I already have them waiting for me to read. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Guard later on, because I'm sure we will.

message 14: by David (new)

David (davk) I'll read Return of the Crimson Guard next, after I've finished Reaper's Gale. :)

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie I wonder how bad ass Seren will become after her encounter with the Crimson Guard!