Coffee & Books discussion

Members > College students?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 299 (299 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Any one in college? What are you majoring in?

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I am in college majoring in English and am minoring in art history! Hopefully becoming an english high school teacher some day in the near future! I also have always wanted to work at a high well known art museum.

message 3: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) I just got my Associates degree in Graphic Design with a specialization in Web Design.
I'm taking a year off to gain residency in Oklahoma, then I'll be going back for my bachelors.

message 4: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Krysta wrote: "I just got my Associates degree in Graphic Design with a specialization in Web Design.
I'm taking a year off to gain residency in Oklahoma, then I'll be going back for my bachelors."

Oh awesome. WHat do you want to do with that?

message 5: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Rachel Skye wrote: "Krysta wrote: "I just got my Associates degree in Graphic Design with a specialization in Web Design.
I'm taking a year off to gain residency in Oklahoma, then I'll be going back for my bachelors."..."

I ultimately want to be a web designer, but I still want the ability to work in print too (business cards, letter heads, brochures, invitations, posters, etc.)

message 6: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Krysta wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "Krysta wrote: "I just got my Associates degree in Graphic Design with a specialization in Web Design.
I'm taking a year off to gain residency in Oklahoma, then I'll be going bac..."

Oh wow! Thats pretty cool!

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey (cprohn) I'm getting my Bachelor's in Animation with a minor in Entrepreneurship.
I'm hoping to go into Medical Animation or something like that...

message 8: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Casey wrote: "I'm getting my Bachelor's in Animation with a minor in Entrepreneurship.
I'm hoping to go into Medical Animation or something like that..."

Wow! Thats awesome! How is it working out for you?

message 9: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

This coming fall, starting end of august, ill be SLAMMED with classes.

Im taking a Mythology and Legends class, Civil War Literature class, Liberal Arts Mathematics, Civil War History and Astronomy.

Luckily, I will be reading fairy tales and mythology books in my myths and legends class!

message 10: by samantha (new)

samantha londer (samanthalonder) | 37 comments I'm going to be a freshman in college and I have 17 credits my first semester so I don't think I'm going to get very much reading time; at least not at first.

message 11: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Understandable! Good luck on your first year!

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey (cprohn) It's going okay, I'm getting slammed with tons of classes though, even though I'm really close to having enough to graduate, I wanted to take a little of everything before I left.

Samantha, What's your major?

message 13: by samantha (new)

samantha londer (samanthalonder) | 37 comments As of now I'm looking at a double major in Biology and Psychology with a pre-med focus. We'll see how long that double major lasts!

message 14: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Nice! Double majoring in English (english high school teacher) and History!

message 15: by Jordan (new)

Jordan I am a double major in English Literature and Russian Language :) hoping someday to be a novelist, work for a publishing house, and to translate English youth fiction into Russian.

message 16: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphreads) I've been through college once already but I decided to have a do-over. ;) I'm majoring in Film Production.

message 17: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Jordan wrote: "I am a double major in English Literature and Russian Language :) hoping someday to be a novelist, work for a publishing house, and to translate English youth fiction into Russian."

Awesome! Are you of Russian decent?

message 18: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Daphne wrote: "I've been through college once already but I decided to have a do-over. ;) I'm majoring in Film Production."

Sounds like fun!!! Did you already have a degree and decided you would want a film degree?

message 19: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Rachel Skye wrote: "Jordan wrote: "I am a double major in English Literature and Russian Language :) hoping someday to be a novelist, work for a publishing house, and to translate English youth fiction into Russian."
..."

No, but I spent this past summer in Russia studying at the university.

message 20: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Oh amazing!!! Just asking because I am (:

message 21: by KatyO (new)

KatyO I´m a student as well--> I study English, Italian and Spanish
(That´s also why I studies the past half year in Italy, and next year or the year after I hope to study in England or Spain for a year.... just hope that everything works out ;-)

message 22: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) KatyO wrote: "I´m a student as well--> I study English, Italian and Spanish
(That´s also why I studies the past half year in Italy, and next year or the year after I hope to study in England or Spain for a year...."

I'd love to go to England sometime!
I also want to go to Italy, so maybe I'll bring you with me so you can translate! Haha...
That sounds like fun!

message 23: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

KatyO wrote: "I´m a student as well--> I study English, Italian and Spanish
(That´s also why I studies the past half year in Italy, and next year or the year after I hope to study in England or Spain for a year...."

Oh wow. I wish I could study abroad. I hope too soon!

message 24: by KatyO (new)

KatyO you definitely should if you get the chance to! It´s such an amazing experience! But going back home is really really hard! ;-)

message 25: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I bet! I would really want to study in Russia because that is a huge part of my heritage. And so is Irish. SO those places I am dying to go to

message 26: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphreads) Ooo... I'd LOVE to study abroad. It's so expensive though. :'( I'll keep dreaming. lol

message 27: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Daphne wrote: "Ooo... I'd LOVE to study abroad. It's so expensive though. :'( I'll keep dreaming. lol"

Thats where I am too! The cost is so ridiculous!

message 28: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Liberty wrote: "Wow! Ambitious group! Sadly, I haven't been able to finish my associates. I've got one class (practicum) but due to my work schedule/financial aid/full classes I've not been able to finish. My degr..."

Yeah I hear you. Work these days are rather slim. I am particularly worried of getting degree and hen not finding a teaching job. Worst nightmares!

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 61 comments I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!

message 30: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

How interesting!! Had a few friends studying International Relations. What do you plan on doing with that?

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 61 comments Rachel Skye wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

How interesting!! Had a few friends studying International Relations. What do you plan on doing with that?"

I really want to go into international aid of some sort, either on a governmental level or just working for non-profit organizations.

message 32: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Zoe wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

How interesting!! Had a few friends studying International Relations. What do you plan on doing with ..."

Awesome!!

message 33: by KatyO (new)

KatyO Daphne wrote: "Ooo... I'd LOVE to study abroad. It's so expensive though. :'( I'll keep dreaming. lol"

isn´t there some kind of scholarship where you come from? Because we have this programme that is called erasmus, and they give you money each month! that´s the only way I was able to afford it ;-)

message 34: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

KatyO wrote: "Daphne wrote: "Ooo... I'd LOVE to study abroad. It's so expensive though. :'( I'll keep dreaming. lol"

isn´t there some kind of scholarship where you come from? Because we have this programme tha..."

I am actually not sure. I could definitely look into it!

message 35: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

I spent this past summer studying at Moscow State University! What's your Russian level?

message 36: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Rachel Skye wrote: "Daphne wrote: "Ooo... I'd LOVE to study abroad. It's so expensive though. :'( I'll keep dreaming. lol"

Thats where I am too! The cost is so ridiculous!"

Yes it is. My financial aid covered everything but spending money and my plane ticket, so it covered about $7000. But I got college credits from the university and excursions in Moscow, St. Petersburg and Suzdal.

message 37: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphreads) I am not sure about scholarships here (different country than I grew up in, so it's a bit unfamiliar), but I'll definitely look into it. I qualified for a grant and financial aid for this year which covers my tuition and books during regular school, so I suppose there's something out there for studying abroad!! :D

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 61 comments Jordan wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

I spent this past summer studying at Moscow State University! What's your Russian level?"

I took the complete 100 level series last year, which was a whole textbook full of information. I plan on sticking with it and going to St. Petersburg sometime in the next few years.

What's your level? How was Moscow?

message 39: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Zoe wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

I spent this past summer studying at Moscow State University! What's your Russian level?"

I took the complet..."

Moscow...is an interesting place but I found out after a month and a half there that it was not the place for me. Nor was St.Petersburg. Its very easy to communicate with Russians, they are generally very friendly and the sites are beautiful. There's so much history there. We went to Tolstoy's estate and it was just so cool to see his library and that some of his favorite books were the same as mine. The metro is awesome, so efficent and clean. I am at the advanced level, near fluency is what it's classified as, but my vocab is not strong enough. Grammatically, I am fluent. If you ever wanna practice some Russian I'd love to, or if you wanna read some great Russian books, I have read hundreds and can recommend them :)

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 61 comments Jordan wrote: "Zoe wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

I ..."

That sounds really cool. I'm sure Tolstoy's estate was amazing! I may definitely take you up on that offer, I've been looking for ways to increase my knowledge besides just watching shows and listening to music.

message 41: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Zoe wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Zoe wrote: "Jordan wrote: "Zoe wrote: "I'm in college studying international studies and Russian!"

I spent this past summer studying at Moscow State University! What's your Russian ..."

you could also check out Lenta.ru and read the movies news section, its pretty easy and you'll learn tons of vocab :) but yes, message me if you want to practice some Russian or whatever.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 61 comments Oh awesome! I will check it out, and I'm sure I will be in touch at some point! Thank you for all the suggestions thus far.

message 43: by Sana (new)

Sana (sanashams) I am an Environmental Sciences major.

message 44: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Sana wrote: "I am an Environmental Sciences major."

Awesome. Sounds really interesting!

message 45: by Sana (new)

Sana (sanashams) Rachel Skye wrote: "Sana wrote: "I am an Environmental Sciences major."

Awesome. Sounds really interesting!"

It really is! I learn so much new stuff that I am hooked to it.

message 46: by Aaron (new)

Aaron McQuiston | 10 comments I'm two semesters away from being a respiratory therapist. You hear so many great stories while working in a hospital.

message 47: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

My mother works in one as well

message 48: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taymaxi23) I'm in my second year of school majoring in media communications. Hopefully with this degree I can either work behind the scenes at a show like Oprah or the Today show, or write script for a sitcom or soap. How realistic of a goal this is, though...I'm not so sure.

message 49: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Taylor wrote: "I'm in my second year of school majoring in media communications. Hopefully with this degree I can either work behind the scenes at a show like Oprah or the Today show, or write script for a sitco..."

Thats awesome! Anything can be realistic as long as you have passion for it!

message 50: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taymaxi23) Rachel Skye wrote: Thats awesome! Anything can be realistic as long as you have passion for it!"

Haha, I suppose! I just have no idea how to go about getting a job like that. I have a feeling it's a rather small niche with a rather large amount of people to fill it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6