Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Bookplates--yay or nay?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Once upon a time, every store that sold books also sold bookplates. Now, you can find everything from coffee to video picture frames in bookstores, but you can't find bookplates.

I am a yay, and I'm about to go look for printable labels so I can make my own, but I miss the fancy ones. :(

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
I dig the fancy ones too, although I don't use them, myself. It's neat when you buy an older used book, e.g. that used to be owned by some Egyptologist professor, with his bookplate from 1937.

Jammies, I bet if you searched the internets you could find bookplates.

I used to put my name/address in books with a self-inking address stamp, but that was several addresses ago. I generally don't write my name in my books anymore. I'm not sure why. I used to either stamp them, or write my name and the date acquired.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I'd never really thought about using bookplates before. I write my name in the ones I lend out, that I want back.

message 4: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Yay- I don't have any... yet. Now I get to be the enabler Jammies!

http://www.bookplates.com/classic.html

They have some lovely designs on this website.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jul 02, 2011 06:29PM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I've always wanted to maker personalized bookplates; I've been working on a bookplate project for a while now, but it's not out of the sketching phase. I wanted to make hand-carved lino prints, but since I don't have access to a press anymore, I'm going to use a cheater's method and scratch the design into plexiglass, color it with watercolors, scan it into the computer and manipulate it digitally. That way,I can make multiple copies, but the original image will still be made by hand. Now I just need to get motivated enough to get it done.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) That sounds like a great project, Amber! Please post a picture when you're done so we can all oooh and aaaah over it.

message 7: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Amber, that does sound cool!

Helenamelanie, those bookplates are gorgeous, but out of my league pricewise. *goes off to dream of books and bookplates*

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Nay.

I enjoy reading, but I'm not so attached to my books that I want to label them.

message 9: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments Wow Jammies... those were pricey! Well, until Amber is finished her project- there's these ones! Free even:

http://www.myhomelibrary.org/plate.ph...

But not nearly as pretty.

message 10: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I'm thinking I'm going to make my own--Amber inspired me!

message 11: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I bought one years ago that had a sketch of Anne Rice's (former) home in New Orleans and her signature. I am attached to make of my books but I would think that putting them in my books would be like writing in them: a no-no in my book (pun intended). I wouldn't mind personalized bookmarks, though.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments I used to think they were good, even have some lovely ones. I have since changed my policy on lending out books. I do not lend out books since my best books don not come home very often, so I have a a lovely cover on my Kindle, and my books stay at home.

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Hi Courtney - welcome to TC.

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise I buy them from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antiquarian-B...

Stickers you can write your name on, with quotes and stuff - they're quite nice.
I never lend my books to anyone without putting a bookplate or writing my name in the book.