Mock Printz 2022 discussion

Mock Printz 2012 > Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Between Shades of Gray received 3 starred reviews and came in second in our poll. What makes it worth the Printz?

message 2: by June (new)

June Morgan | 19 comments I loved Shades of Gray because it dealt with WWII, but with another side - other than the Holocaust by Hitler. I don't know where I have been these many years, but I do not remember how the Russian people were treated during the war. I saw a view of the war I had never known before.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 37 comments June - I agree. I also did not recall that Stalin was as brutal as Hitler. Shades of Gray was a devastating story yet the characters never lost hope. It is a tribute to humanity.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Wow!! Sad but well-written. Clear voice, the setting was an integral part of the story. I think having it based on truth gives the book an edge. They survived 12 winters in Siberia????

message 5: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 6 comments Kathy wrote: "Wow!! Sad but well-written. Clear voice, the setting was an integral part of the story. I think having it based on truth gives the book an edge. They survived 12 winters in Siberia????"

That's what really shocked me about this book! How could they have survived that long, when they almost died in 1 winter?

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (MzJulia) | 3 comments Just joined the group. I am a Teen Services Librarian and <3 Teen Literature. This was an amazing book. It's one of those books that sticks with you months after you read it. Great historical fiction.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments Every single person that has read it has mentioned how blown away they were by the book, the writing. Plus great first line: "They came for me in my nightgown." (Or something very similar)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Wilsman | 42 comments Excellent, so well-written and heart-breaking while somehow remaining hopeful, I was impressed and would recommend it.

message 9: by EL (new)

EL (elreads) | 11 comments I loved this book. I really liked her short chapter format. She packed a lot into each one. The story is brutal, heartbreaking, but always hopeful. I was pleased with the authors endnotes about her personal connection and her research process. I have already recommended this book to teen readers and adult. Definitely a contender!