Goodreads Ireland discussion

Previous Monthly Reads > Book or Film?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) I haven't read the book or seen the film yet. What did everyone think of the film? Which is better in your opinion?

message 2: by aprilla (new)

aprilla I listened to the book, it was very, very good, kept you listening not wanting to be interrupted... emotional too. I don't think I'll watch it, I'd rather keep the book memories.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Aprilla, you're wise to avoid the movie. Cormac McCarthy just seems to be one of those writers, like Gabriel Garcia Marquez or John LeCarre, whose books just don't translate well to the screen. In The Road the substance of the book usually lays outside of the dialog and the unspoken can seldom if ever be adequately communicated on the screen. And while Viggo M. is one of my favorite actors, there isn't enough energy in the film that allows it to be more than just another post-apocolyptic thriller. It's visual rather than literal, and because of that, the film falls well short of the book.

message 4: by aprilla (new)

aprilla What a pity, but not unexpected. Most times that I've watched the movie after reading the book I've had disappointment of some sort. But I think a lot of us readers feel like this :)
I work it in reverse too, If I've seen and enjoyed the movie/TV show I'll avoid reading the book.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the book in November last year, it was picked for the Wexford Library monthly read, I found it so depressing that I had to go on an emergency shopping spree just to cheer myself up.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The book is well worth reading, it's one of my favorites, but I can see why you found it depressing Sam. But I can't help but feel McCarthy did a masterful job ending it on a note that ultimately made the book itself a positive rather than a negative.

message 7: by aprilla (new)

aprilla Sam wrote: "I read the book in November last year, it was picked for the Wexford Library monthly read, I found it so depressing that I had to go on an emergency shopping spree just to cheer myself up."

I agree, really good book but it is depressing... only wish I'd thought of the same remedy as you SAm LOL

message 8: by Selina (new)

Selina (-selina) I saw the movie last year and I just finished the book. I love post-apocalyptic fiction so I am probably biased when I say that I loved both the book and the movie. It's gritty, depressing and emotional.

The father son conversations were so powerful in the book and I think they tried to recreate that in the movie, but it did not have the same effect.

I probably would have loved the book even more if I had not seen the movie prior to reading it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

(POSSIBLE SPOILER) What I really admire about the book is that despite all overwhelming evidence to the contrary, the author succeeds in making you believe in the good in the world. Whether the father's almost saintly personna or the rough but giving and caring individual encounteed in the last few pages, you come away believing, despite all the wretchedness you just read, that there are beacons of goodness in the forms of various people out there.