Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > July's Book - A Gift of Grace by Amy Clipston

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand This week we are reading Amy Clipston's A Gift of Grace, the first book in the Kaufffman Amish Bakery series.

A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1) by Amy Clipston

Rebecca Kauffmans tranquil Old Order Amish life is transformed when she suddenly has custody of her two teenage nieces after her "English" sister and brother-in-law are killed in an automobile accident. Instant motherhood, after years of unsuccessful attempts to conceive a child of her own, is both a joy and a heartache. Rebecca struggles to give the teenage girls the guidance they need as well as fulfill her duties to Daniel as an Amish wife.

Rebellious Jessica is resistant to Amish ways and constantly in trouble with the community. Younger sister Lindsay is caught in the middle, and the strain between Rebecca and Daniel mounts as Jessicas rebellion escalates. Instead of the beautiful family life she dreamed of creating for her nieces, Rebecca feels as if her world is being torn apart by two different cultures, leaving her to question her place in the Amish community, her marriage, and her faith in God.

Feel free to post your comments about the book and any questions you think would be good for group discussion. Our group reads tend to be a rather informal affair so just chat away! Spoilers are perfectly fine but it might be a good idea to type ***SPOILER*** at the start of your post to alert any members who haven't finished the book if you're mentioning a major plot point that should be kept secret - especially early on in the month when some of us may not have finished the book yet!

Happy reading!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Just wanted to say that this was one of the first Amish books that I read and I loved it! Especially the setting of the family bakery :) Hope everyone enjoys this one.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtb12) | 21 comments Hi! New to this site and groups, but this is a great book! I'm going to reread it with you all, because honestly I have forgotten parts of it.

message 4: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Welcome Hannah! I am looking forward to reading it for the first time and discussing it with everyone! I'd have more reading time but work sure does get in the way! LOL!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1468 comments Mod
Hi Hannah! I'm so glad you liked this month's pick. I can't wait to be able to get started on it.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtb12) | 21 comments I will NOT Spoil it, but in my honest opinion, it is a WONDERFUL book!

message 7: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I started it today, and I don't want to put it down. I'm loving it!

message 8: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I am half way through it.

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahtb12) | 21 comments Kristy, it's hard to put down, ain't? :)

message 10: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments Yes, it sure is. It's good!

message 11: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I will stay up and finish this book tonight.

message 12: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments Oh wow! It was good. I loved it!

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I read this book in one sitting when I first got it, really hard to put down!

message 14: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I wish I could read a book in one sitting, but I haven't been able to do that.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand I think I've developed a skill in skim-reading since going to university as I seem to be able to finish a 300 page novel in 2-3 hours.

message 16: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Christner | 6 comments Rachel wrote: "I think I've developed a skill in skim-reading since going to university as I seem to be able to finish a 300 page novel in 2-3 hours."

message 17: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Christner | 6 comments That has to take a little of the joy out of it. Writers get a little bit of that loss too, after learning the process of fiction. But don't get me wrong. I'm still an avid reader.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Dianne wrote: "That has to take a little of the joy out of it. Writers get a little bit of that loss too, after learning the process of fiction. But don't get me wrong. I'm still an avid reader."

Sometimes I do feel a bit disappointed that I've sped through a book so fast, so sometimes I make myself slow down. I don't think I properly skim-read, just read faster than other people.

message 19: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) I started this last night and finished it about 2.5 hours ago. Was a interesting read, but am not sure if it is a GREAT read, you know? Need to mull it over a bit...that and read the second book in the series!

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue Laitinen | 3 comments I thought A Gift of Grace was a really good book. I read this book quite some time ago, and it still remains one of my favorites by Amy Clipston. I loved seeing how hard it was for Jessica to learn and accept the Amish ways, which so differed from the way she was raised, and Rebecca's struggle to keep her nieces and help them adjust, but at the same time trying to help her husband adjust to the girls and their different ways. And Rebecca's struggle near the end, to let go and learn that sometimes doing the best for someone isn't exactly what you had wanted. I can not wait for Amy's next book to be published- I think it will be titled A Life of Joy(?)- because it goes back to both Lindsay, and Jessica, and I FINALLY get to see more of their stories. YAY, lol.

message 21: by ⚜️Trea (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) Just finished the second book in the series and I loved the discussion of how to deal with a betrayal! I liked how Ms. Clipston let us know what was going on with Rebecca and her family too. After reading the second book, it put the first one into more perspective for me and I found I really was liking the series. My Kindle is groaning!

message 22: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments Sue wrote: "I thought A Gift of Grace was a really good book. I read this book quite some time ago, and it still remains one of my favorites by Amy Clipston. I loved seeing how hard it was for Jessica to learn..."

I can't wait for the 4th book either. I am almost done with the second one. I am loving it.

message 23: by Carissa (new)

Carissa I loved the book, as well as the other two looking forward to book four too.

message 24: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments There's going to be a book 5 also.

message 25: by Shaz (new)

Shaz (zabooksihaveread) | 74 comments I have just finished reading this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

message 26: by Barbara (new)

I'm past the 1/2 way point and I want to shake Daniel. He's made me so angry. Why can't he get it through his head to talk to Jessica? Men!?!?

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Barbara Ann wrote: "I'm past the 1/2 way point and I want to shake Daniel. He's made me so angry. Why can't he get it through his head to talk to Jessica? Men!?!?"

I was the same way, typical stubborn male!

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand If anyone doesn't have a copy of this yet, it is currently $0.99 on Kindle!

message 29: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Just finished it! LOVED it!!!

message 30: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (bluestocking86) | 60 comments For some reason today is the ditsy message I received from this group in a while. Hope they keep comming now. Do we have an August read yet?

message 31: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Jeanine wrote: "For some reason today is the ditsy message I received from this group in a while. Hope they keep comming now. Do we have an August read yet?"

Yes we do. They are listed at the top of the group. They are:

Amish - Beside Still Waters: A Big Sky Novel by Tricia Goyer

Christian - Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter

message 32: by Barbara (new)

I'm finished too Camille & loved it. I can't wait to start on the next one. Are we ready to talk about it?

Does anyone do the questions at the back on your own?

message 33: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Start talking about it! Also, feel free to use any of the questions in the back of the book!

I'm almost 1/3 done but if I can find some quiet time, I should be able to get it done quickly.

message 34: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (bluestocking86) | 60 comments Diane U wrote: "Jeanine wrote: "For some reason today is the ditsy message I received from this group in a while. Hope they keep coming now. Do we have an August read yet?"

Yes we do. They are listed at the t..."

and you even translated that through all the miss spelled words. I used my Ipad to do that and I have noticed that it likes to guess what I want to say and subs a different word sometimes. LOL

Hopefully I will catch back up in August.

message 35: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Jeanine wrote: "Diane U wrote: "Jeanine wrote: "For some reason today is the ditsy message I received from this group in a while. Hope they keep coming now. Do we have an August read yet?"

Yes we do. They are li..."

Yeah, I have the same problem with my iPhone! I totally understand!

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand In case anyone doesn't have this book on their Kindle, I noticed that it's $0.99 right now! The third book, A Place of Peace is $1.99! I nabbed the 3rd one as I hadn't read it yet and gobbled it up in a couple of bus journeys this week. Excellent book but I do think the first 2 books are my favourites in the series.

message 37: by Carolyn E (new)

Carolyn E | 239 comments Rachel: I just finished reading "A Place of Peace," and I have to agree. I enjoyed all three books in this series, but I think the first two books are better than the third. Still, it is an excellent series; I recommend it.

message 38: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I just thought I'd share something with you that I thought was cool. Yesterday I posted on my blog my review of A Gift of Grace and Amy Clipston commented on it! How cool is that!!! I love when the authors do that!

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand Amy did that to me once as well, she's such a lovely person! She often retweets reviews or reposts them on Facebook too. I have to say, the Amish genre has a lot of wonderful and friendly authors, I think we're quite blessed :)

message 40: by Paula-O (last edited Aug 08, 2011 05:04AM) (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 119 comments I have read some of Amy Clipton books and she is a good author, I also comment on her Facebook site. The book of Gift of Grace was very good, I liked how she did not push the girls to be what she wanted but let them choose even tho she wanted to "Mother" them after they lost their parents. I look forward to reading more of her books.
I have just finished reading Beverly Lewis "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher" 3 books in series and loved them all....

message 41: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (riverunbroken) | 250 comments I am reading several books. Right now I'm reading Rejoice by Karen Kingsbury, Lilly's Wedding Quilt by Kelly Long, Kelly's Chance by Wanda E. Brunstetter, Kathryn: Days of Struggle and Triumph, Mail-Order Marriages by Jillian Hart and two other authors, Montana Dawn by Caroline Fyffe