Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's June 2011 Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Jul 01, 2011 09:24PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments I had thought my book numbers would drop off quite a bit from May, but there was still little on TV that interested me and I had lots of good books calling my name! I read 22 books this month. Some REALLY good ones, some in between and couple of stinkers!

One Dog Night (An Andy Carpenter Novel) by David Rosenfelt One Dog Night by David Rosenfelt: newest in the Andy Carpenter series and I won an ARC here on Goodreads! This series is consistently entertaining and this one was no exception. Noah Galloway has been arrested for an horrific crime that took place some years before. It looks like a slamdunk since Noah is going to confess to it, but his wife can't believe he did it. She goes to Andy and gets him to take the when she tells Andy that Noah was Tara's owner before Andy was. This one has it all crooked politicians and lawyers, blackmail, illegal mining! Grade: 9

Soultown A Whitney Logan Mystery by Mercedes Lambert Soultown: A Whitney Logan Mystery by Mercedes Lambert: this one had been on my bookshelves for years. Should have left it there! Grade: 2

Old World Murder by Kathleen Ernst Old World Murder by Kathleen Ernst: 1st in series. Mostly well written with an interesting locale, but a main character that I just really didn't like. Grade: 4

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2) by Melissa Marr Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr: 2nd in Wicked Lovely YA series and not nearly as good, IMHO, as the first one. New characters just did nothing for me. Grade: 6

Southern Poison by T. Lynn Ocean Southern Poison by T.Lynn Ocean: 2nd in Jersey Barnes series. I read the first one a couple of years ago and liked it, but this one not so much. Jersey was just too over the top for me. Grade: 4.5

Shoulder Bags and Shootings (Haley Randolph Mysteries) by Dorothy Howell Shoulder Bags and Shootings by Dorothy Howell: 3rd in Haley Randolph series and better than the 2nd one, but still not as good as the first one. Haley's an airhead pretty much and the murderer was easy to figure out, but it made me laugh. Grade: 7

Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3) by Elizabeth Lynn Casey Pinned for Murder by Elizabeth Lynn Casey: I think this is the 2nd in the Southern Sewing Circle series and I didn't read the first one. Don't think I missed much if this is any indication. The characters were just too "sweet" and the murder was easy to figure out. Grade: 4

The Undead Kama Sutra (Felix Gomez, #3) by Mario Acevedo The Undead Kama Sutra by Mario Acevedo: this is the 3rd in the Felix Gomez series and they are nothing but mind candy, or maybe mind Chinese food since they don't stick with you very long. Felix is a Denver based vampire who's looking for The Undead Kama Sutra which is supposed to have almost magical qualities. Grade: 6

Origin in Death (In Death, #21) by J.D. Robb Origin in Death by J.D. Robb: 21st In Death and about like most of them. Roarke's family comes to visit for Thanksgiving toward the end of the book and that was the best part. Grade: 7.5

Misery Bay (Alex McKnight Mystery #8) by Steve Hamilton Misery Bay by Steve Hamilton: newest Alex McKnight and one of my top reads in June. Alex joins forces with his old nemesis, Chief Roy Maven to track down a killer. Boy, have I missed Alex! Grade: 9.5

A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3) by Wendy Lyn Watson A Parfait Murder by Wendy Lyn Watson: 3rd in Tally Jones Murder A La Mode series and just as good as the other 2. This series hits all the right notes with me for some reason and I've loved everyone of them. Grade: 9.5

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher The Water Wars by Cameron Stratcher: beautiful cover, great story idea, very poorly executed with characters you just never cared about one way or the other. Grade: 4

A Cast-Off Coven (A Witchcraft Mystery, #2) by Juliet Blackwell A Cast-Off Coven by Juliet Blackwell: 2nd in Witchcraft series and much, much better than the first one. Lily is approached to see if she can help with a haunting at the San Francisco School of the Arts. But there's much more than a ghost to contend with. Grade: 8.5

Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #2) by Spencer Quinn Thereby Hangs a Tail by Spencer Quinn: 2nd in Chet & Bernie series. Still love Chet, but this one wasn't as good as the first one. Grade: 6

Wined and Died (A Home Crafting Mystery) by Cricket McRae Wined and Died by Cricket McRae: 5th in Sophie Reynolds Homecrafting series and another fun outing like all the others. Sophie Mae comes across some recordings by a psychologist on some microcassette tapes purchased at a thrift store. They allude to a possible murder. Grade: 8.5

Hexes and Hemlines (A Witchcraft Mystery, #3) by Juliet Blackwell Hexes and Hemlines by Juliet Blackwell: 3rd in Witchcraft series and not as good as CAST OFF COVEN. Grade: 6

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich: 17th Plum and you always know what you're gonna get with these. Grandma Bella was a prominent figure in this one and she turned Steph into a 'ho with the "vordo"! Grade: 8

Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4) by Karen E. Olson Ink Flamingos by Karen E. Olson: 4th and last in the Brett Kavanaugh Tattoo Shop series. I really hate to see this series end. The stories are always great and I like the characters. In this one the front woman for the Flamingos, who was one of Brett's best customers, is found dead in a low rent Vegas hotel room. Turns out someone is impersonating Brett all over town and setting her up for a frame up. Grade: 8.5

Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Delirium by Lauren Oliver: YA dystopian in a US where love is considered a disease that people undergo a cure for at 18. Lena has been looking forward to her procedure so she can be free of a sickness that supposedly infected her mother and caused her to commit suicide. But not long before she's to have the procedure she falls in love. Grade: 9.5

Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4) by Jessica Beck Evil Eclairs by Jessica Beck: this is the 4th in the Donut Shop series and they're all starting to run together. In this one a radio talk show guy is found strangled with one of Suzanne's eclairs stuffed in his mouth. Mindless reading. Grade: 6

Finger Lickin' Dead by Riley Adams Finger Lickin' Dead by Riley Adams: 2nd in Memphis BBQ series and just way too sweet for me. Grade: 4

Death of a Celebrity (Hamish Macbeth, #18) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Celebrity by M.C. Beaton: from the Hamish MacBeth series and not my usual read. The author was author of the month on the cozy board so thought I'd give one of the books a shot. Not bad for what it was, but I won't be reading more. Grade: 5.5

Starting July with the 3rd in Nora Roberts' Bride Quartet and MATCHED, another YA dystopian story.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Wow, what a month!

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1185 comments Great month, Melodie.

My library has the audio download of Delirium so I will give it a try since you enjoyed it so much. Looks like dystopia is all the rage these days.

I do enjoy the Hamish Macbeth mysteries occasionally. They are nice predictable change of pace.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments As always, great reviews Melodie! I see quite a few I've already read and quite a few I'm thinking about reading. I agree with you about the Riley Adams book and I never got past the first Jessica Beck book. It's also amazing how many of us read Smokin' Seventeen this month!

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Sandi wrote: "Great month, Melodie.

My library has the audio download of Delirium so I will give it a try since you enjoyed it so much. Looks like dystopia is all the rage these days.

I do enjo..."

You're definitely right about the dystopian thing, Sandi! Since the success of THE HUNGER GAMES seems like everyone's jumped on the bandwagon. I have at least one more in The Pile, Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano , after MATCHED. I hope you like DELIRIUM, too!

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1248 comments Wow, Melodie, great month, and thanks for all the great reviews. You make me want to get back to the Steve Hamilton series...I only read the first two. Reading Dead Center by David Rosenfelt right now and really enjoying working my way through this series.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Melodie! Fabulous month count and quality too! I am glad Misery Bay was good. I have it here but need to read it fast (due yesterday - oops!)

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments Sandi and Melodie - I had noticed that too with the growth in the numbers of books with a Dystopian theme. Not to be suspicious of a trend based on a phenomenal hit like Hunger Games, but I am cautiously looking at them... I appreciate your steering us to good ones to try.

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Melodie wrote: "Death of a Celebrity by M.C. Beaton: from the Hamish MacBeth series and not my usual read. The author was author of the month on the cozy board so thought I'd give one of the books a shot. Not bad for what it was, but I won't be reading more. Grade: 5.5

..."

I've been reading this whole series on my Kindle. I am giving them 3s out of 5 but they are just fine for summer "not too much thinking" reads.

message 10: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Melodie: You had some interesting reads.