Scribblers discussion

Debates > Duck Shooting

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In my opinion duckshooting is completely in the right.
But others don't.
Discuss.

message 2: by tallfubar (new)

tallfubar (fallingfromresolution) | 14 comments Well, I don't like people shooting ducks for fun, but if they're eaten, then it's worth it.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think about duck shooters enjoying hunting the ducks and also eating them?

message 4: by Sammi (new)

Sammi | 9 comments In my opinion, no life should be taken unless it's a natural cause (death, sickness etc.) people don't need to eat meat, we have other ways of getting what we need unlike lions, tigers, etc.
We kill all animals unnecessarily, we could just eat fruits, vegetables and all that sort of stuff and leave animals at peace. Chickens give us eggs, cows give us dairy products, sheep give us wool and ducks are good to look at!
I went off topic, but oh well. That's my opinion.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:26AM) (new)

Okay, just to start off.
Laura and I are basically like brother and sister.
She's a shooter....
I'm a greenie.
But...
To be honest, I come from Africa, everyone hunts there.
My dad'll take me hunting one day. And... Well... I don't see a problem in it.
There are bigger issues than a few ducks that take over and then get shot.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Well! Here I go. lol
Anyway.
How many native predators can you think of that hunt the ducks here. I don't know about you but I can't think of any. Except for humans!
Has anyone heard of Botulism? It's a horrible disease that spreads incredibly easily. It's spread through the water.
Now... If you got rid of the only native creatures that actively hunt these birds, their number would explode! We'd quickly be over run and the whole eco system will stuff up! And! Because there are so many ducks around botulism with spread. NOT ONLY! Killing many ducks in a horrible way, but other native birds an animals, it will also be dangerous for humans!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My family have been duck shooting for a heap of generations. I think I remember Mum saying something like 6 or 7 generations on her side. And on Dad's side there would be just as many. At least two of my uncles are brilliant shots, one of my cousins has represented Australia in clay target shooting. I have been brought up around guns, and shooting, and the commraderie that comes with that. We are not, murderous, raving lunatics that shoot at everything and are extremely dangerous. I, a child, have never even come close to shooting anyone! Let alone being shot myself. So those who argue that it is unsafe are off their nut.

message 8: by Sammi (new)

Sammi | 9 comments Yeah, well, I see where you're coming from. But, it's still murder in my opinion. A human who takes another human's life is charged and put in jail on either man slaughter or murder. But, if a human takes an animals life like a duck, cow, sheep, chook, pig etc nothing is done about it! It's like saying that an animals life is less valuable than ours and it's not fair. Everyone, animal or human deserve the right to live.
Like, yeah it'd be stupid to charge someone for killing a duck or a chicken or something, but it just doesn't seem fair on the duck.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lately people have been going on about how cruel it is for chickens to be caged and how people are wanting free range(Which is a heap of crap anyway). What is more free range than a duck that has lived its whole life out free, being able to have the wind rustle its beautiful, strong wings. To be able to dart through the swamp, barely missing trees, what's more free range than bird that has never even known captivity? And people have also been going on about people who just sit in front of a t.v. or a computer all day. This gets people off of their couches, out into the fresh air, it bonds a family. What could be better than going out with your father, your cousin and your uncle, and spending a weekend camping, along with shooting.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Sammi wrote: "Yeah, well, I see where you're coming from. But, it's still murder in my opinion. A human who takes another human's life is charged and put in jail on either man slaughter or murder. But, if a huma..."

AH! But you see should Lions or other predators be condemned for killing an antelope. This is how it has always been. It is beneficial for everyone, thing, place.
I know you say that Lions and tigers and bears need the meat. But SO DO WE! It has been proven. People who eat a balanced diet of meat and vegies are healthier than those who are vegetarian. Plus as I said in my previous posts. That if we didn't hunt them it would completely destroy the eco system.

message 11: by Sammi (new)

Sammi | 9 comments Yeah, I agree with you there. At least the ducks got to live a life, unlike the chickens. Fishing is in the same category, I love to go fishing, but I can never ever kill the fish. I have to let them go again.
So. I feel defeated right now.

message 12: by Sammi (new)

Sammi | 9 comments Lyeta(Laura) wrote: "Sammi wrote: "Yeah, well, I see where you're coming from. But, it's still murder in my opinion. A human who takes another human's life is charged and put in jail on either man slaughter or murder. ..."

True, but we now-a-days have so many other things that could supplement for the meat. I know I'm no where near as healthy as someone who eats meat, but I don't know, it's a personal thing, I value the animal's life more than a good meal.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I understand that. You have better veiws than most greenies in my opinion. lol.

I have so much more to add to my comments. :D lol.
Seriously I love this type of thing. I would also love to be a politician!

message 14: by Sammi (new)

Sammi | 9 comments Hahah, thanks.
So do I! But, I would hate to be a politician. I want to be a Lawyer, so it's pretty damn close! Hahaha.
We need another debate thing going.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

YES! Like what though?

message 16: by Sammi (new)

Sammi | 9 comments I'm thinking!
Shall inform you when I think of something!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

lol

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 2 comments Sammi wrote: "Yeah, well, I see where you're coming from. But, it's still murder in my opinion. A human who takes another human's life is charged and put in jail on either man slaughter or murder. But, if a huma..."

Well, If we didn't shoot animals for food we would all be pretty sick. We need meat. Also, animals are hunted and killed by other animals. So are you going to charge the hunting animals for murder??

Sorry but that doesn't make sence to me.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lindsey wrote: "Sammi wrote: "Yeah, well, I see where you're coming from. But, it's still murder in my opinion. A human who takes another human's life is charged and put in jail on either man slaughter or murder. ..."

Made perfect sense to me. :D