What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Assassins of Tamurin
This topic is about The Assassins of Tamurin
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy: Girl turned spy unwanted by family [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments I am looking for a book that I know I started to read but put the book down and now can't find it or even think of what it is called or who wrote it.

I remember it begins with a young girl coming back from somewhere (I think she lost something) and knows that her family will be greatly upset with her. She doesn't live with her mom (who I think is dead) but with an aunt or a grandma. They do not like her. I don't think anyone in the village likes her. She is an outcast with her family I know for sure.

I think she gets thrown out or sold (not sure) when she gets home. She eventually becomes trained in the ways of seduction and I had the impression that she did that to become a spy. I don't think it is the Kushiel series. I looked it up and read the beginning of book one and it is not the same.

It seems to be that it was sort of a old chinese background. I don't know how to explain it but it seems like it had that essence but it is a fantasy book set in a fantasy world. I hope that makes sense. I am not sure how to explain it.

Thank you for any help.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The Lark And The Wren series is a possiblilty.

When Demons Walk is another possiblity--well, the series, not necessarily this particular book.

I can't think of a book that has ALL the elements you have listed in it--but several that have part of them.

Don't know if either of these is it, but, well, maybe they can help.

message 3: by ambyr (new)

ambyr | 30 comments Michelle Welch's Confidence Game, maybe?

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments I looked at all of them and they are not it. I can remember reading the first part of it and she is coming upset because she either lost something or did something to make someone mad. She knows that her aunt is going to be very upset with her. I think that leads up to the aunt throwing her out. I am not sure how but she becomes a prostitute/spy. She is trained in the ways of seduction so that she can infiltrate high ranking officials and learn secrets. I am not sure I said that last part right.

message 5: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 703 comments Was the thing she lost maybe a needle or something else related to sewing?

message 6: by Shelly (last edited Jul 07, 2011 01:35PM) (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments I think it was a needle or something to do with sewing. That feels familiar about the story.

message 7: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 703 comments Ok, than I think I've read it! Maybe it will come to me... or you can try scanning my fantasy shelf (I feel like it is probably rated 3 stars or I would remember it better). http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The needle thing happens in one of the Bardic Voices books by Mercedes Lackey. I'm not sure that I listed the one that it happens in--I just gave you the title of the first book in the series. If its not that particular title, look at the rest of the books in the series.

message 9: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 703 comments The book I'm thinking of wasn't Lackey. It was set in a high fantasy world, and there was a wealthy lady who sponsored a school for orphan and unwanted girls, and after a few years the "best" girls were chosen to become spies and assassins. The main character does this and then goes undercover, maybe as a an actress? And falls in love with a prince or lord. Does that sound right, Shelly?

message 10: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (butterfliwhispers) | 12 comments The Assassins of Tamurin
by S.D. Tower

Solved: Thank you Miriam. She became an actress. I must have gotten it mixed up with something else. Sorry about that everyone. Ann thank you so much for your suggestion. I did go back and look through Lackey's books and found some old favorites that i have added to my list. Awesome work everyone.

Ambry thanks for your help too. I added the book you suggested to my to be read titles.

Thank you Thank you Thank you :)