Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > American historical romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments Does anyone have any good romance books that take place in the US - I really love the South - I've read all of Susan Wiggs and LaVyrle Spencer. thanks!

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I haven't read those two authors, but I do like Jennifer Blake. She's definitely more romance than historical, but at the same time she really nails the period, the customs, clothing, social mores, etc. down so you feel like you are really there. Some of her books are from the 70's/80's period of *cough* forced seduction so be warned if you are overly PC.

Karla has a ton of them, if she'd care to stop by and name a few :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments Thanks Misfit! Nah, forced seduction can be welcome at times. I just finished The Hunger Games series and need something light and frothy-I will try Jennifer Blake for sure. I really appreciate it. Karla, please feel free to name them...

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Take a look at Laurie McBain also. I've only read two of hers, and despite some quibbles they're pretty solid reads. Books from the 80's could stand some editing by today's standards and sometimes they go on a bit too long, but still her books are far better than what's getting churned out these days.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments It's funny, but I prefer older authors too. I absolutely loved THE HELP of course, but I'll check them both out. Do you use an ereader? I use the KOBO and can get free library books if I can find them by the author I'm searching for.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I just read Midwife of the Blue Ridge I thought it was excellent.

message 7: by Mollie (new)

Mollie (molliebee) | 1 comments I loved Midwife of the Blue Ridge, too! Also Pamela Clare's books--The Blakewell/Kenleigh family series is my favorite.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments Thanks! I'm going to check them out!

message 9: by Darlene (new)

Darlene (darlenemarshall) | 6 comments I hate to toot my own horn (too much[g]), but my first four novels are set in Florida in the early 19th C. Three are around the time of the handover from Spain to the US in the 1820s, one is set in the 1840s just after the Second Seminole War. You can read excerpts and reviews at my website, www.darlenemarshall.com and at Amazon.

message 10: by Kelly_Instalove (new)

Kelly_Instalove (instalove) | 11 comments I love Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow - a Charleston dressmaker is recruited to be a patriot spy for Frances "Swamp Fox" Marion in the revolutionary war. And there's some romance in there too!

Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow

message 11: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Kelly wrote: "I love Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow - a Charleston dressmaker is recruited to be a patriot spy for Frances "Swamp Fox" Marion in the revolutionary war. And there's some..."

I completely forgot about Bristow. There's also Jubilee Trail and Calico Palace.

message 12: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "I love Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow - a Charleston dressmaker is recruited to be a patriot spy for Frances "Swamp Fox" Marion in the revolutionary war. And there's some..."

Thanks Kelly! I have this title but just haven't had the time to read it yet. I'll move it up on the list!

message 13: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

@ Kelly and Misfit- thanks for mentioning these. They are on our group list.

message 14: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Darlene wrote: "I hate to toot my own horn (too much[g]), but my first four novels are set in Florida in the early 19th C. Three are around the time of the handover from Spain to the US in the 1820s, one is set in..."

Hi Darlene! Thanks for mentioning these. There are a number of readers looking for American set historicals.

message 15: by Misfit (new)

Misfit We need to get Karla and Sandi here, I think they have some interesting older books set in the old south.

message 16: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 14 comments Lisa Kleypas has a couple of her older books set in the American South. I think one of them at least is about to be rereleased later this year.

message 17: by Darlene (new)

Darlene (darlenemarshall) | 6 comments Thanks, Emery. I don't like to use groups to self-promote--I see way too much of that. However, since I do write American set historical romance I felt I could leap in.

My newest novel, Sea Change, is set in the Caribbean, but features an American privateer hero during the War of 1812. Fans of American historicals may enjoy that.

message 18: by Kelly_Instalove (new)

Kelly_Instalove (instalove) | 11 comments I think there was discussion about Anya Seton on another thread, but here are her books set in 18th/19th-century America:

The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton The Hearth and Eagle by Anya Seton Dragonwyck by Anya Seton The Turquoise by Anya Seton

Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, Dolley Madison and Sally Hemings:

Patriot Hearts A Novel of the Founding Mothers by Barbara Hambly

First of a trilogy - I've only read the first, but loved it:

Daughter of Liberty (American Patriot Series, Book 1) by J. M. Hochstetler

Not yet released, but looks intriguing:

The Schoolmaster's Daughter by John Smolens

message 19: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Kelly wrote: "I think there was discussion about Anya Seton on another thread, but here are her books set in 18th/19th-century America:

The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton [bookcover:The Hearth and Eagle|22811..."

Thanks Kelly for some great nominations! I have added all but the last to our shelf.

message 20: by Teresa (last edited Aug 12, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Teresa Gibson (goodreadscomteresaindallas) | 6 comments I've just been reminded of one of my favorite authors, Elswyth Thane, whose "Williamsburg Novels" fit the American historical fiction list. Unfortunately, only the first two Dawn's Early Light (Revolutionary War) and Yankee Stranger (Civil War) take place on this side of the ocean. Ever After (Spanish-American War) takes place in New York, Williamsburg, Cuba, and London. The Light Heart begins in Williamsburg, but ends in England (1910-15, wonderful heroine), Kissing Kin takes place in America, England, and Austria (World War I and after), (This Was Tomorrow (1930s) takes place in New York, Williamsburg, London, and Berlin. The last book Homing (pre World War II) bounces between London and Williamsburg. I highly recommend this series if you can find it. Each book has lots of wonderful characters and the writing is excellent.

message 21: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I have read the first of those, Dawn's Early Light and would recommend it. I have to get back to these. Library had a copy of Yankee Stranger until the previous borrower lost it so I'll have to buy or go for interlibrary.

message 22: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

@ Teresa and Misfit-
Thanks for telling us about these. They sound great.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments Wow! Great suggestions. Teresa, I love series books and will put them on hold at library. Darlene, I'm honored that an author responded to me and will surely get your books and spread the word. Kelly, I will surelyuse all of your suggestions as well. You are very thoughtful. Not sure if any of you are an ereader person, buti have a Kobo and am thinking of the black and white new nook. Should I go for the kindle instead? But then you can't take library books out. Oh, misfit, thank you also for your suggestions!

message 24: by Marilyn (last edited Aug 12, 2011 09:24PM) (new)

Marilyn (mbk1857) Teresa wrote: "I've just been reminded of one of my favorite authors, Elswyth Thane, whose "Williamsburg Novels" fit the American historical fiction list. Unfortunately, only the first two Dawn's Early Ligh..."</i>

Oh, Elswyth Thane was one of my first romantic authors that I encountered and I loved reading her! I think about her now and then; always remembered her books. I was thirteen and she was just perfect for me at the time. [book:The Light Heart
was my first, borrowed from a next door neighbor. No, there's no sex but I thought, and still do believe this story to be so poignant that I've never forgotten it. It would be a shame for her to be forgotten. By today's standards some might classify her as YA, but, really, her stories were very good.

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill I read my first Elswyth Thane last week (thanks Hannah) and found it very good (not dated) even though it was written in 1939.
Tryst Tryst by Elswyth Thane

message 26: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Gibson (goodreadscomteresaindallas) | 6 comments Jill wrote: "I read my first Elswyth Thane last week (thanks Hannah) and found it very good (not dated) even though it was written in 1939.
TrystTryst by Elswyth Thane"

Oh, Tryst is one of my all time favorite books, Jill!! It is so romantic!! ((((sigh))))

message 27: by Shea (new)

Shea | 42 comments I have enjoyed all of the Deeanne Gist books I have read and they were all set in the US. She is considered Inspirational Romance, like Janette Oke, but the ones I have read have not been heavy on the romance. So far my favorite was Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deeanne Gist because it had a very strong female character and I generally enjoyed the storyline.

message 28: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Shea wrote: "I have enjoyed all of the Deeanne Gist books I have read and they were all set in the US. She is considered Inspirational Romance, like Janette Oke, but the ones I have read have not been heavy on..."

Hi Shea! Thanks for the nomination. I have added thsi title to our inspiratinal catagory.

message 29: by Mar (last edited Aug 16, 2011 08:34AM) (new)

Mar | 19 comments Silver Lining - Maggie Osbourne. Outstanding book. I ached for poor Low Down/Louise and I fell in love with Max McCord instantly. This book was utterly amazing. Very well written and done with class. The gradual change through day to day living was superb. I actually cried a few times. Then I rejoiced with Louise at the end when things worked out more beautifully than she could have EVER imagined. All she needed was a chance and someone to believe in her...... Max is amazing. I'd like to clone him if possible. The way he was written was simply outstanding!

message 30: by Joy (new)

Joy | 2 comments Amy wrote: "Does anyone have any good romance books that take place in the US - I really love the South - I've read all of Susan Wiggs and LaVyrle Spencer. thanks!"

Candace Camp has great Southern US novels...And she writes amazing... Heirloom and Rosewood were two of her best..

message 31: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Marmar wrote: "Silver Lining - Maggie Osbourne. Outstanding book. I ached for poor Low Down/Louise and I fell in love with Max McCord instantly. This book was utterly amazing. Very well written and done with clas..."

Hi Marmar! Thanks for tellus about this one. I have added it to the group shelf.

message 32: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 22 comments Veering off into biography, to answer Amy's question, I think the greatest real love story in American history is that between John and Abigail Adams! A marriage of two minds.

Romance may be too fancy a term for my work, but there is in it a marriage of mutual interest and respect between Riah and Tom.

Shelley
Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 33: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7 comments Amy wrote: "Does anyone have any good romance books that take place in the US - I really love the South - I've read all of Susan Wiggs and LaVyrle Spencer. thanks!"

I'm SO glad I found this post -- and series of questions. I started my romance reading career with stories set in the south.

Try Pamela Morsi's backlist, which may be out as e-books. LyVyrle Spencer is a great influence of mine as a writer. In fact, I mention the first romance I ever read (in college) Vows, in my bio. Her books are wonderful. Read all of them.

I think a lot of wonderful writers are ignored because of setting. (Not author promo here, I swear!) My first four were set in the south (outer banks and upstate SC). My editor even said, especially about the Outer Banks series, that they were the only books she had edited set there. However, I think it makes them harder to sell. I'm southern -- and loved writing about what I love. And know. But I could tell in the promo dept that it was not the setting of choice.

I'll try to put my thinking cap on for more southern authors to suggest.

Tracy

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments Jan Speas My Enemy My Love is about an American and Brit in War of 1812, this book is great because the heroine's main issue is literally that the hero is British and she is American, talk about not using a contrivance to create issues.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments Also Penelipe Williamson writes some American romances that I have heard are pretty good, I have not personly read any.

message 36: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7 comments I read her years ago -- Williamson.

message 37: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Tracy and Lauren- Our book club this Friday night is focused on American set Historicals. Hope you'll drop by.

message 38: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7 comments Sounds great! I'll look through my older list of read books (Excel file) for Americana authors and come prepared. :)

message 39: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 18 comments In reading back through the posts in this thread, I didn't notice Frances Parkinson Keyes's name mentioned. (Of course, it's possible I'm the only one old enough to have read any of her books!) Her "Blue Camellia," "Dinner at Antoine's," "Joy Street," and a whole host more are all set in and around historic New Orleans. BLUE CAMELLIA by Frances Parkinson Keyes Dinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson Keyes Joy Street by Frances Parkinson Keyes

message 40: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sherry wrote: "In reading back through the posts in this thread, I didn't notice Frances Parkinson Keyes's name mentioned. (Of course, it's possible I'm the only one old enough to have read any of her books!) Her..."

Hi Sherry!
WOW! Thanks so much for the nomination. I have never heard of this author.I'll add these to our group list.
Wonder if Gaile has read them. Are you out there Gaile?

message 41: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7 comments Sherry Thomas also had one set in India recently that I really enjoyed.

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments thanks Sherry! I'm making my way through Silver Lining and will pick up Keyes as well.

message 43: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Emery wrote: "Sherry wrote: "In reading back through the posts in this thread, I didn't notice Frances Parkinson Keyes's name mentioned. (Of course, it's possible I'm the only one old enough to have read any of ..."
Yes I'm here and yes I did read this author although I don't remember the titles or anything about the books. Guess I'll have to look them up and put them on my read list.

Sherry wrote: "In reading back through the posts in this thread, I didn't notice Frances Parkinson Keyes's name mentioned. (Of course, it's possible I'm the only one old enough to have read any of her books!) Her..."

Are you older than me Sherry? I forgot all about having
read her books long long long ago! Even forgot the titles!

message 44: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Shea wrote: "I have enjoyed all of the Deeanne Gist books I have read and they were all set in the US. She is considered Inspirational Romance, like Janette Oke, but the ones I have read have not been heavy on..."
I love Deanne Gist!

message 45: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Misfit wrote: "I have read the first of those, Dawn's Early Light and would recommend it. I have to get back to these. Library had a copy of Yankee Stranger until the previous borrower lost it so I'll have to buy..."

That one sounds familiar too. So does Yankee Stranger.

message 46: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Kelly wrote: "I love Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow - a Charleston dressmaker is recruited to be a patriot spy for Frances "Swamp Fox" Marion in the revolutionary war. And there's some..."
Loved her too. One of my favorites!

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments Tracy, I'm a dope. I meant to write Thanks Tracy not Thanks Sherry.

message 48: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Marie | 9 comments If you like Southern Colonial America, may I suggest my debut novel, The Seahawk's Sanctuary. I'm getting good reviews including some complaints about sleep deprivation... ;-) And a medieval novel is on the horizon.

message 49: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

The Seahawk's Sanctuary by Lynne Marie
You mean this one? I already added it!

message 50: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Marie | 9 comments Gaile wrote: "The Seahawk's Sanctuary by Lynne Marie
You mean this one? I already added it!"

That's it!!! Thanks, Lynne Marie

« previous 1 3