Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

Partners in Crime (Tommy & Tuppence, #2)
This topic is about Partners in Crime
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Reads > CLOSED July 2011 BOM Partners in Crime

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. | 4565 comments Mod
Originally published in 1929. Features Tommy and Tuppence.

"Agatha Christie's complete Tommy and Tuppence short story collection, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. Tommy and Tuppence Beresford were restless for adventure, so when they were asked to take over Blunt's International Detective Agency, they leapt at the chance. After their triumphant recovery of a pink pearl, intriguing cases kept on coming their way: a stabbing on Sunningdale golf course; cryptic messages in the personal columns of newspapers; and even a box of poisoned chocolates."

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Has anyone been able to read this book yet? Any thoughts?

message 3: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Hart I actually read this book over a year ago, so it's not real fresh in my mind, but I do remember I enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of short stories but Tommy and Tuppence's relationship is just so cute! The characters themselves is what kept me interested.

Martha | 96 comments Mod
I finished this book weeks ago, and, I have to say that, i didn't like it as much as the first time I read it, but, anyway, is a very good collection of short stories.

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I'm only on chapter 3 but I'm liking it. I didn't realize that it's a collection of stories so I guess I'm still on the first story.

message 6: by carol. (new)

carol. | 32 comments For some reason, I never enjoyed the Tommy and Tuppence stories, so I was sitting this one out.

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments These were quick cases. I'd almost call them breezy stories, even the murder cases. I wouldn't call this one a great Christie, but I liked it and I liked Tommy and Tuppence.

Amanda | 91 comments Going to re-read them real quick since I just joined but I love Tommy & Tuppence. The short stories are a fun introduction. Their conversation is entertaining and they have their own 'method'.

Catie (catiewithac) | 18 comments I just got the book and read the first story. I knew immediately how this collection would end (and I was right!). I also read too many romance novels...

This is the first time I've met Tommy and Tuppence, and I already adore him. He's pretty "no nonsense."

Catie (catiewithac) | 18 comments Tommy and Tuppence are totally adorable! They are feisty, modern and not above a little chicanery in the search for answers. They seem more real than Poirot or Marple, and I like the idea that they age with time (as all humans do!).

Some of the literary inside jokes were lost on me. I was not familiar with all of the so-called famous detectives that Tommy and Tuppence personified throughout the stories.

I joined this group recently and missed reading The Secret Adversary, but I intend to go back and read how the two fell in love. I think the pair are simply marvelous!

I'm often struck how masterful Christie is at painting realistic portraits of people in her characters. Her dialogue maintains that sense of authenticity even in to the 1960s and 70s.

One aspect that really intrigues me of reading her writing in chronological sequence is to witness social change during such an interesting time. Tommy and Tuppence really personify that post-Great War modern attitude along with all the flippancy of the Jazz Age.

Ever notice how "good" domestic servants are harder and harder to find in Christie's books? In this collection, so early on her writing careers, domestic servants are taken for granted. I believe the statistic is something that the majority of humans worked in the domestic service field prior to WWII. Then a major shift in the workforce redistributed people. I have never lived in a time when nearly everyone "had help" in the home.

Some of the details in this collection are fascinating. Like how Tuppence claims she's the wrong generation to decode the riddle in "The Red House." I would have been even more hopeless at solving it!

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

I really like them as a couple too. You see with the first book how they're poor slightly upper class, pinching pennies everywhere they go. I didn't read any of the early Tommy & Tuppence but started reading the last books about them where they're middle aged. I really loved them as a couple, and the later books weren't written as them having a perfect marriage. They aren't a lot of people favorites but I like them too Catie.

Renee | 447 comments I wanted to read this one before reading N or M? since I'm a little behind on the group reads and I know that they age together through the books. I love Tommy & Tuppence! The characters in the book (and I especially like Albert) were so wonderfully written and I loved all the banter between Tommy and Tuppence before and during their cases.

Some of the references to famous detectives were lost on me, but the book was such a fun read I didn't care. I loved how she included Poirot as one of the famous detectives they work as and Tommy uses his "little grey cells" to solve the case. Very fun read!

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

I love them too Renee

Denise (dulcinea3) | 262 comments They're my favorite Christie sleuths! (along with Bundle Brent)

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

This is a book of the month for July 2018. Here is a link to that thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.